Latest Updates:
Normal Topic CB Video versus St Louis CC Videos on Semi-Slav? (Read 5465 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: CB Video versus St Louis CC Videos on Semi-Slav?
Reply #6 - 03/06/17 at 18:40:24
Post Tools
I agree about Jonathan Schrantz, he's a fairly professional presenter but have noticed a lot that he gets incorrect, glosses over, ignores, etc.  He probably doesn't mean to, bu the's an A-player (I think?) presenting on every opening under the sun, so you can't expect him to understand all of the nuances, move order issues, critical lines, important ideas, etc.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/13/17 at 13:54:21
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 01/13/17 at 04:36:04:
the Nielsen DVD is great.

Thanks all.  I'm sold!

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #4 - 01/13/17 at 04:36:04
Post Tools
the Nielsen DVD is great.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #3 - 01/13/17 at 01:18:45
Post Tools
I've not seen Nielsen's Semi-Slav videos but I did buy the two he made on the Sicilian Dragon. He is a fluent and engaging presenter with an excellent command of English and his coverage of the material is intelligent and insightful. Based on this experience, I'd buy the Nielsen videos without hesitation if I was thinking of trying to understand the Semi-Slav. Just one proviso: I felt that the Dragon ones were aimed at a somewhat stronger target audience than is often the case with Chessbase's output, so your playing level might dictate whether Nielsen offers what you want or not.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/12/17 at 18:41:25
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 01/12/17 at 18:20:43:
I don't know, but I've watched parts of a few videos by Mr. Schrantz, and I noticed him occasionally saying things that I dare say were, like, wrong.  Surely it would be surprising if there's much of a comparison between a series by a GM and one by a sub-2000 player.

It's certainly fair to point out the huge rating difference (in fact, Schrantz is lower rated than me.)   Perhaps I'm not being careful enough but I haven't noticed the errors you alluded to Kyle (I'm on video 4 right now.)   I am still curious if anyone has also viewed the Nielsen video series and has an opinion on the relative content?

P.S.  I would add that where I have noticed him stumbling a bit is in answer to the live questions posed by the audience.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/12/17 at 18:20:43
Post Tools
I don't know, but I've watched parts of a few videos by Mr. Schrantz, and I noticed him occasionally saying things that I dare say were, like, wrong.  Surely it would be surprising if there's much of a comparison between a series by a GM and one by a sub-2000 player.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

CB Video versus St Louis CC Videos on Semi-Slav?
01/12/17 at 16:59:43
Post Tools
I've watched the video series by Jonathan Schrantz from the St. Louis CC about the Semi-Slav and was impressed with both his content and presentation style.  I've not viewed the Chessbase video series "The Semi-Slav" by  GM Peter Heine Nielsen and wondered how it compared to the St. Louis CC series?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo