Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yusupov’s 9 Book Series (Read 25644 times)
BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Yusupov’s 9 Book Series
Reply #94 - 03/21/18 at 01:57:40
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/21/18 at 01:38:45:
I’m not used to people agreeing with me, especially not on the internet.

Haha, yeah I guess that's rare if it means someone is changing their mind. Or maybe it's more that people agree and don't want to admit it! Tongue

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #93 - 03/21/18 at 01:38:45
Post Tools
I’m not used to people agreeing with me, especially not on the internet.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #92 - 03/21/18 at 00:40:54
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/18/18 at 14:08:42:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 03/18/18 at 03:11:31:
I like this book but I hate coming across simple refutations like this.
I have three points to make.

1. It’s not possible to write a book without error. Fischer tried with My 60 Memorable Games, and even he did not succeed. Give it a try yourself sometime. Then you will deeply appreciate reading a book with few errors.

2. It’s easy to imagine a scenario for this:
(a) During the selection phase this example was included.
(b) During the checking phase they detected the problem.
(c) A replacement position was selected.
(d) Somehow an older version of the file was printed.
Author’s fault? Editor’s? Printer’s? Regardless, it’s at the author’s door. If you find it annoying, just think how Yusupov feels about it.

3. Chess is critical thinking. Even if a published analysis is correct, the reader should always be asking, “wait, is that true?” When I find the occasional mistaken analysis, instead of being upset with the author for making it, I am happy with myself for finding it. It means my brain is switched on. Congratulations, you are an attentive reader.

Yeah, that's true. Good point. I guess it doesn't matter that much since this series seems pretty good and the occasional mistake doesn't really mean anything.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #91 - 03/18/18 at 14:08:42
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 03/18/18 at 03:11:31:
I like this book but I hate coming across simple refutations like this.
I have three points to make.

1. It’s not possible to write a book without error. Fischer tried with My 60 Memorable Games, and even he did not succeed. Give it a try yourself sometime. Then you will deeply appreciate reading a book with few errors.

2. It’s easy to imagine a scenario for this:
(a) During the selection phase this example was included.
(b) During the checking phase they detected the problem.
(c) A replacement position was selected.
(d) Somehow an older version of the file was printed.
Author’s fault? Editor’s? Printer’s? Regardless, it’s at the author’s door. If you find it annoying, just think how Yusupov feels about it.

3. Chess is critical thinking. Even if a published analysis is correct, the reader should always be asking, “wait, is that true?” When I find the occasional mistaken analysis, instead of being upset with the author for making it, I am happy with myself for finding it. It means my brain is switched on. Congratulations, you are an attentive reader.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 03/18/18 at 03:11:31
Post Tools
Did Yusupov check his solutions with a computer? I'm not so sure. In the solution to Ex. 3-11 on page 41 of Build Up Your Chess 1, he says 10...Na5 is bad due to 11.Qa4+. 10...Na5 might be bad but it's definitely not due to 11.Qa4+. After 11...Bd7 12.Qxa5 b6 13.Qa6 e4, Black gets his piece back and is clearly better, probably winning.

I like this book but I hate coming across simple refutations like this. Actually you don't even need a computer to see this line. It should be pretty obvious, especially to a world-class GM.

IP Logged

doefmat
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #89 - 03/12/18 at 10:08:05
Post Tools
How fast do you guys repeat a chapter after scoring bad?
Can you learn from an exercise when you already saw the solution?

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 01/23/18 at 05:40:48
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 01/23/18 at 01:47:34:
I remember reading Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and  Combinations book and thinking I wished he had listed the games that the positions had come from (I recognized some, but not too many). Well, Yusupov does list them. Now, his presentation might not be your editorial preference. But dishonest? Geez. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

Agree - really like that he gives the players. It helps me appreciate the beauty in these game positions. I also notice that certain players that we have seen shown up getting hammered by some top player in the past in some famous position also had some beautiful wins themselves!

Also I think Yusupov normally does a very good job of saying something like "variation from game" - except in this case maybe.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #87 - 01/23/18 at 01:47:34
Post Tools
I remember reading Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and  Combinations book and thinking I wished he had listed the games that the positions had come from (I recognized some, but not too many). Well, Yusupov does list them. Now, his presentation might not be your editorial preference. But dishonest? Geez. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #86 - 01/22/18 at 06:06:17
Post Tools
IM_Serious wrote on 01/22/18 at 04:35:03:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 01/22/18 at 01:22:27:
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded.

Yusupov demonstrates that Berliner's combination is sound.

Mott actually blundered mate in 2, but many editors would remove such details from a training manual.

The variation Yusupov gives is also a mate in two, just not the mate in two that was actually played. So there's no good reason why he didn't give the actual mate that was played.

IP Logged

IM_Serious
YaBB Newbies

Bibliophile

Reply #85 - 01/22/18 at 04:35:03
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 01/22/18 at 01:22:27:
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded.

Yusupov demonstrates that Berliner's combination is sound.

Mott actually blundered mate in 2, but many editors would remove such details from a training manual.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #84 - 01/22/18 at 01:22:27
Post Tools
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded. I find this to be dishonest. If he had mentioned it was an analysis variation, that's fine, but to present it as the actual game continuation is misleading and makes no sense. If he wants to create his own variation, why even credit the players of the game? Just don't give any names then and present it as a random puzzle.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #83 - 01/15/18 at 11:59:56
Post Tools
IM_Serious wrote on 01/10/18 at 23:14:06:
This interesting subject probably deserves a separate topic of its own.

Anyhow, here's a link to an open-source project which achieves the aim:

github.com/maciejczyzewski/neural-chessboard

This is only for an Apple device.  Cry

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

IM_Serious
YaBB Newbies

Bibliophile

Reply #82 - 01/10/18 at 23:14:06
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 01/10/18 at 19:58:07:
No, while in New York viewing the recent world championship I think I remember seeing a rig near the cafe area of the venue with a fixed camera mounted more or less above an ordinary plastic set in use, and it was getting the moves in pgn or whatever. A small crowd was around it. Maybe an experimental demo of something not released? I didn't pay much attention, but I remember thinking "cool, soon no expensive DGT board."

This interesting subject probably deserves a separate topic of its own.

Anyhow, here's a link to an open-source project which achieves the aim:

github.com/maciejczyzewski/neural-chessboard

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #81 - 01/10/18 at 19:58:07
Post Tools
No, while in New York viewing the recent world championship I think I remember seeing a rig near the cafe area of the venue with a fixed camera mounted more or less above an ordinary plastic set in use, and it was getting the moves in pgn or whatever. A small crowd was around it. Maybe an experimental demo of something not released? I didn't pay much attention, but I remember thinking "cool, soon no expensive DGT board."

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #80 - 01/10/18 at 18:38:16
Post Tools
QC probably magnified the issue by changing the naming scheme. In the editions directly controlled by Yusupov the titles are (transl.) "Tiger's Jump to XXX Vol. 1/2/3"
XXX=
1500 -> orange books
1800 -> blue
2100 -> green

The book you mentioned should be 1800 II, which is still a second book in the series.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo