Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yusupov’s 9 Book Series (Read 21968 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Yusupov’s 9 Book Series
Reply #19 - 02/06/17 at 02:06:15
Post Tools
To be honest, I haven't really looked at the Steps beyond steps 1, 2, 3 and parts of 4. I used them in a kids' chess club for a few years, but then quit that job to free up time for other things.

I see the point of starting at the beginning. I imagine some people would feel a bit foolish spending time on exercises that seem ridiculously easy to them, with the occasional hidden treasure in-between. Though that's what Aagaard keeps saying about the Yusupov series as well: Start at the beginning (and move quickly through everything that's really easy), since you never know where the holes in your chess education are.
« Last Edit: 02/06/17 at 12:46:04 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 02/06/17 at 01:40:41
Post Tools
Agree with Stigma about the chess steps. Close to agreement with Proustiskeen. My rating is a fair bit about Yusupov's first series and I started with Step 2 of the Step method. Cannot hurt.

RoleyPoley wrote on 02/05/17 at 20:51:14:
[quote author=193C3D32273B323D11530 link=1485522145/13#13 date=1486305219]

what would you recommend for 1500s instead?

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #17 - 02/06/17 at 01:15:31
Post Tools
I honestly think that anyone doing the Steps should start with Step 1. Yes, it's very simple, but that's the point. You rebuild board sight from the ground up. A 1500 player hangs stuff, and that's something you learn to mostly mitigate in Steps 1 and 2.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 02/05/17 at 22:58:19
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 02/05/17 at 21:27:49:
I don't know if anyone has actually tested this, but the Steps Method looks perfect for plugging some holes before moving on to the Yusupov series. From 1500, go through steps 4 and 5 (maybe even step 3).

I am already doing this. But you don't mention Step 6, which is intended for independent study rather than class use and (therefore?) comes with a lot more exercises than the others. I wonder whether Step 5 would be sufficient preparation for Yusupov? I don't know because I'm still on Step 4.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #15 - 02/05/17 at 21:27:49
Post Tools
I don't know if anyone has actually tested this, but the Steps Method looks perfect for plugging some holes before moving on to the Yusupov series. From 1500, go through steps 4 and 5 (maybe even step 3).

There's also Silman's books, the endgame book starting at well below 1000 and the strategy book Reassess Your Chess meant for 1400+.

On calculation I'm never sure what to suggest - most of the books on it seem to be written for Experts and above. Maybe Heisman's Looking for Trouble or Beim's book.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 02/05/17 at 20:51:14
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 02/05/17 at 14:33:39:
Gerry1970 wrote on 02/01/17 at 23:21:40:
Jonathan, it took me many months to do a book. So your time is pretty amazing. But I don't have this energy I think to replicate what you have done.

Only possible negative? I am wondering is if you are allowing enough time for the material to sink in.

My rating is 1800+ elo and circa 1950 equivalent when you convert my ECF grade so I’m quite above the supposed target audience for the first books. That said, the elo range given is absurd. The books are much to hard for 1500s.

what would you recommend for 1500s instead?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 02/05/17 at 14:33:39
Post Tools
chk wrote on 02/02/17 at 09:32:21:
I am going through this series without using a board (due to practical constraints) and from my experience:

- the tactics & endgame chapters could be properly done within a couple of hours each.
- the positional, strategy and opening chapters may take some more time, as in some cases you really need to play the games with a board in order to make the most of it.

I’ve heard this sort of thing before and it’s pretty much my experience. I finished the Basic Pawn Endings chapter in 20 minutes in total. The chapter on Centralising Pieces, on the other hand, is pretty much taking me 20 mins for every test question.

Jonathan, it took me many months to do a book. So your time is pretty amazing. But I don't have this energy I think to replicate what you have done.

Only possible negative? I am wondering is if you are allowing enough time for the material to sink in.

My rating is 1800+ elo and circa 1950 equivalent when you convert my ECF grade so I’m quite above the supposed target audience for the first books. That said, the elo range given is absurd. The books are much too hard for 1500s.

Anwyay, I’ve picked up a fair amount of knowledge along the way - e.g. endgame theory and I recognised certain test positions (Morphy at the Opera crops us - and there’s a position fro the first Alekhine - Capablanca game for instance). What I lack, I think, is the skill to apply this knowledge.

I don’t think Im rushing too much yet but I’ll certainly have to slow down later. What i do need is to work out how best to work with the books. I think I’m too fond of the tactics chapters. Its easy to feel you’re making progress by completing those.

« Last Edit: 02/06/17 at 13:02:58 by JonathanB »  

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #12 - 02/02/17 at 09:32:21
Post Tools
I am going through this series without using a board (due to practical constraints) and from my experience:

- the tactics & endgame chapters could be properly done within a couple of hours each.
- the positional, strategy and opening chapters may take some more time, as in some cases you really need to play the games with a board in order to make the most of it.

But I agree with Gerry that Yusupov's writing is condensed and to the point, so sometimes you need to think a bit for the material to sink in (like those old, wise Chinese books in a way).

Myself, halfway through book 2, taking many, many breaks lately. I think it took me about a month to finish the 1st, but was accustomed to the material covered (likewise with the 2nd).

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #11 - 02/02/17 at 02:22:26
Post Tools

Two hours per chapter sounds like plenty. I think that if you're spending enough time per chapter it doesn't matter how fast you go. I did a chapter or more a day when I was feeling very motivated.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 02/01/17 at 23:21:40
Post Tools

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/01/17 at 22:09:00
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 02/01/17 at 16:35:03:
Yes, I have done all 10 books. I had a 20-year break from chess and started in 2013 in a club again. It was very tough and extremely interesting to do all the exercises. My ELO (2121) is at it highest ever being 51 years old. The last two months have been really good chess-wise. I'm very dilligent with my chess but play too few games. Currently exercises from Chess Lessons are being solved. If you want more details, let me know  Smiley

Excellent. Bravo. Must have taken a while.

I started on 24th January.  I’m about a third of the way through book 1 now.  Total study time: 17 hours and 22 minutes to date (not including marking tests and whatnot*).

* "whatnot" meaning, the construction of spreadsheets so I know exactly how much time I’m taking and how far I’m getting.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/01/17 at 18:37:34
Post Tools
I am interested! Always. Also happy for your good performances. I am older than you and I like to root for us old folks!

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/01/17 at 16:35:03
Post Tools
Yes, I have done all 10 books. I had a 20-year break from chess and started in 2013 in a club again. It was very tough and extremely interesting to do all the exercises. My ELO (2121) is at it highest ever being 51 years old. The last two months have been really good chess-wise. I'm very dilligent with my chess but play too few games. Currently exercises from Chess Lessons are being solved. If you want more details, let me know  Smiley

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/29/17 at 14:25:12
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 01/29/17 at 12:49:59:
I havent started the books yet, but still intend on doing so. I just havent had the space at home to set up a desk with a chess board and space to write.

Hopefully i can resolve that in the next few months. If i do, then i think the only thing that will stop me from starting the books will be if i allow myself to be lured into buying the Step method books  Roll Eyes

I’m quite sure a lot of people have started the books. Finishing them is rather the point.

I think the steps books are rather different. Certainly the first several. They genuinely do start from complete beginner level upwards.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/29/17 at 12:49:59
Post Tools
I havent started the books yet, but still intend on doing so. I just havent had the space at home to set up a desk with a chess board and space to write.

Hopefully i can resolve that in the next few months. If i do, then i think the only thing that will stop me from starting the books will be if i allow myself to be lured into buying the Step method books  Roll Eyes

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo