Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yusupov’s 9 Book Series (Read 66462 times)
Straggler

Re: Yusupov’s 9 Book Series
Reply #45 - 03/24/17 at 10:08:17
Post Tools
The QC blog now has a video of Aagaard interviewing Yusupov about the series. In response to Aagaard's suggestion that the advertised rating bands are "wrong", Yusupov admits that they are "approximate": "a big difficulty was not to push too much over the target, which of course I partly failed". He does admit that he is "over-qualified" for such a project, because "as a grandmaster" (a bit of an under-statement!) he "sometimes" doesn't know what a club player would be thinking.

There is some discussion of the importance of writing down the variations, but no clarification of whether the reader is supposed to do this while calculating them or only afterwards.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #44 - 03/06/17 at 22:09:39
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/06/17 at 16:56:14:
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/02/17 at 07:02:59:
ReneDescartes, in general I really enjoy reading your comments which are eloquent and full of insight. I also  understand your point about the challenge. However, here I find you are a bit harsh. Sure, Aagaard's suggestions for reading the books are at a much faster pace than Yusupov's recommendations as you write. On the other hand, even though Yusupov's books are superb, it doesn't mean that you have to use the books exactly as he points out. In Saddler's review of a Yusupov book, it is clear that he doesn't follow the recommendations but still gives the books a high grade.

Over the past few years, I have teased a chess friend about him having all of Yusupov's books but never reading them. The challenge was an incentive for him to start reading them. He wrote me that I have given him such a bad conscience but seeing the post on QC was what could seriously make him try the challenge.

I find Aagaard a very nice and helpful guy and I have a high regard about his person. When you see what is offered on the market with over-priced videos, low-quality chess books and so on, I don't see a problem here Smiley

Honestly, very inventive harsh expressions often occur to me, but I try to exercise restraint because I think that what is negative is usually vain in every sense of the word.

This is just a post in a chess forum, but I have noticed that, even in very great works, what is ultimately negative--for example, masterful sarcasm by Voltaire against the church--is eventually forgotten, while what  is of positive inherent interest, though it might be, for example, tragic, is remembered. But these matters are both subtle and complicated. I very much respect Oscar Wilde, for example. Anyway, I aspire to take care on this point whenever I write or speak.

I retract the first two paragraphs of the quoted post--the "Super Yusupov Challenge" and the reference to not upholding professed standards. I would be glad to ask a mod to delete it if other posters would agree to take it out of their quotes.

On the other hand, I stand by the last paragraph, which is not exaggerated with too-clever writing. Aagard is a tough-talking teacher of integrity--that's no act--as well as a businessman. Though clearly a super-GM talent like Sadler hardly needs to do the material the suggested way to get maximum benefit out of it, and maybe you and some others don't either--readers obviously vary in their ability to visualize without a board, even at the same level, and to hold a tree of variations in short-term memory--I think that for most people a rapid traversal is not as useful as a slow one. And while for someone like your friend doing them in a suboptimal way undoubtedly  really is better than not doing them at all, I still don't think it's a positive development for someone with Aagard's deserved influence or authority to encourage the general public to do them in a way that's not the best.

Your comments were not harsh in any way.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 03/06/17 at 21:20:56
Post Tools
Some interesting comments on here as always.

I was surprised, like Rene, by Aagaard's recommendation/challenge given the great books they have produced and his belief in the power of hard work (he mentions "brain damage material" in a recent blog comment).

Nevertheless it looks like it got people excited and maybe now they will try the books. For me, any blog/post on the topic helps to keep my motivation. I need something as we all have a full and busy life. So I liked Jonathan's idea of a blog post with ongoing comments about progress for the Yusupov series.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #42 - 03/06/17 at 16:56:14
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/02/17 at 07:02:59:
ReneDescartes, in general I really enjoy reading your comments which are eloquent and full of insight. I also  understand your point about the challenge. However, here I find you are a bit harsh. Sure, Aagaard's suggestions for reading the books are at a much faster pace than Yusupov's recommendations as you write. On the other hand, even though Yusupov's books are superb, it doesn't mean that you have to use the books exactly as he points out. In Saddler's review of a Yusupov book, it is clear that he doesn't follow the recommendations but still gives the books a high grade.

Over the past few years, I have teased a chess friend about him having all of Yusupov's books but never reading them. The challenge was an incentive for him to start reading them. He wrote me that I have given him such a bad conscience but seeing the post on QC was what could seriously make him try the challenge.

I find Aagaard a very nice and helpful guy and I have a high regard about his person. When you see what is offered on the market with over-priced videos, low-quality chess books and so on, I don't see a problem here Smiley

Honestly, very inventive harsh expressions often occur to me, but I try to exercise restraint because I think that what is negative is usually vain in every sense of the word.

This is just a post in a chess forum, but I have noticed that, even in very great works, what is ultimately negative--for example, masterful sarcasm by Voltaire against the church--is eventually forgotten, while what  is of positive inherent interest, though it might be, for example, tragic, is remembered. But these matters are both subtle and complicated. I very much respect Oscar Wilde, for example. Anyway, I aspire to take care on this point whenever I write or speak.

I retract the first two paragraphs of the quoted post--the "Super Yusupov Challenge" and the reference to not upholding professed standards. I would be glad to ask a mod to delete it if other posters would agree to take it out of their quotes.

On the other hand, I stand by the last paragraph, which is not exaggerated with too-clever writing. Aagard is a tough-talking teacher of integrity--that's no act--as well as a businessman. Though clearly a super-GM talent like Sadler hardly needs to do the material the suggested way to get maximum benefit out of it, and maybe you and some others don't either--readers obviously vary in their ability to visualize without a board, even at the same level, and to hold a tree of variations in short-term memory--I think that for most people a rapid traversal is not as useful as a slow one. And while for someone like your friend doing them in a suboptimal way undoubtedly  really is better than not doing them at all, I still don't think it's a positive development for someone with Aagard's deserved influence or authority to encourage the general public to do them in a way that's not the best.
« Last Edit: 03/06/17 at 20:25:19 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 03/06/17 at 12:46:54
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 01/27/17 at 13:02:25:
Serious question:

Are there any documented cases of someone working their way through the lot. Fom page 1 of book 1 to the last page of book 9

The quality chess blog has found 76 such people.

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/5905

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 03/06/17 at 09:02:56
Post Tools
I was so inspired by the Yusupov Challenge, so that I decided to make an alternative Challenge: The Grandmaster Preparation Challenge. Have already tried these books earlier on but they were on the tough side. Did the first 39 exercises in Calculation in the chapter Candidate Moves and the results are really good now. Use about 4 minutes per exercise with a score of 70%!

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 03/02/17 at 07:02:59
Post Tools

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 03/01/17 at 15:22:00
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 02/28/17 at 13:00:55:
Why did QC not go all the way to the "super Yusupov challenge": not to read his books in the time recommended (1-2 hours per chapter and 1-2 more per test), nor even to punt each in 10-20 minutes, but--wait for it--simply to buy all 10 books in a year!

Admittedly it's a challenge making challenges less challenging. And evidently to maintain your professed standards while selling what was designed to be a long program of hard work to a public not patient enough to do it.

In this case I think the nervous-businessman Aagard got the better of the tough-talking-teacher-with-integrity Aagard. Maybe he justified it by telling himself that reading the books as blitz chess is better than not reading them at all, but it goes against his whole persona and I find it disappointing. But to err is human, and he does a lot of good things for the chess world.

I think this is a little harsh - but I do know what you mean. It surprised me more than a little to see the suggested rate of progress.

Mind you the context of the blog post makes clear that JA is also planning to read 100 books this year. I’m surprised at that rate of progress too.

It’s not quite the same thing, I grant you, but I don’t think this is just about flogging books.

It’s a blog post, after all. That’s a pretty crappy method for flogging off books, I’d guess.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #37 - 02/28/17 at 22:09:32
Post Tools
selling what was designed to be a long program of hard work to a public not patient enough to do it. 

That is some serious insight being well articulated right there.

In this case I think the nervous-businessman Aagard got the better of the tough-talking-teacher-with-integrity Aagard. Maybe he justified it by telling himself that reading the books as blitz chess is better than not reading them at all, but it goes against his whole persona and I find it disappointing. But to err is human, and he does a lot of good things for the chess world.

Agreed and since no one is actually forced to work beyond their own pace its all good!

As per the original intent of this thread:

~ I started the series five years ago and have managed to get through all of them one time and am actually going through them a 2md time and close to finishing the 3rd book (again). 

On many times I scored a lot better and far too many times I scored worse on the second go round.   Grin

I am still on the cusp is USA class A/expert last 3 years but was on the cusp class B/class A when I started.

I feel like a know a lot more chess and some things have clarified but one thing is that I have started accepting that if there is a ceiling I might be closing in on mine.  I love studying and playing so I keep doing it but at this point how much better am I going to get?

I am really good now at Knight & Bishop mates.  I actually played into one as the inferior side recently and my opponent (an expert!)  immediately offered a draw because he said he was tired and knew he did not know how to do it so why bother letting a crowd gather for that debacle, eh?    Cool

I still have dreams of making it to actual expert level (USCF Floor rating 2000) and will keep working.

edit to add: and i just re-up my sub here and went all sections

Smiley

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #36 - 02/28/17 at 13:00:55
Post Tools
Why did QC not go all the way to the "super Yusupov challenge": not to read his books in the time recommended (1-2 hours per chapter and 1-2 more per test), nor even to punt each in 10-20 minutes, but--wait for it--simply to buy all 10 books in a year!

Admittedly it's a challenge making challenges less challenging. And evidently to maintain your professed standards while selling what was designed to be a long program of hard work to a public not patient enough to do it.

« Last Edit: 02/28/17 at 19:58:41 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 02/28/17 at 12:29:58
Post Tools
Well this thread title should be corrected - it’s 10 books, of course.

Anyway, it seems like they’ll be quite a few folk who’ve finished the series by the end of the year.

See the Yusupov Challenge thread on the QC blog.

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/5895

PS: I’m 1 book and 1 chapter ahead of the game.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #34 - 02/10/17 at 18:23:37
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 02/10/17 at 13:40:29:
The simpler example should come first. Obvious, no?

Yes, of course.

I think the teaching philosophy and the understatement of the target-audience rating are still the main difficulties, though. Unfortunately, these reinforce each other. A too-difficult problem in the everything-is-intricately-related style can look like chaos even when you read the solution, making you just feel lost. The pure style is not as demoralizing for those below the target audience (though in they many not be improving much); it may be impossible for a 1200 player to find Taimanov's corridor mate in three against Karpov, 1977, but once he reads the solution he remains oriented.
« Last Edit: 02/10/17 at 22:24:00 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 02/10/17 at 13:40:29
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/09/17 at 20:58:42:
I may be the only person on the planet who isn't completely enamored with the Yusupov series.

No. I have my own reservations. Principally, the issues that you mention.

Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/09/17 at 20:58:42:
I
I love the exercises, and I think the books are excellent for chess coaches. But there are many pedagogical issues with the actual books. For instance, has anyone else noticed that when Yusupov uses his own games as examples, they are almost always very complex, and not very good examples of the theme he is trying to demonstrate?

Yes, indeed.  Also, for example, Chapter 14 in book one - Open Files and Outposts - when he doesn’t actually explain what an outpost is

ReneDescartes wrote on 02/09/17 at 22:21:38:
I did the chapter you refer to. In the Baburin game, the fragment gives a realistic combination culminating in a straight Damiano mate at the end. The next example gives an abbreviated version (only one rook sacrificed) that is pure wit no preliminaries. After these, if you hadn't already, you would know the new idea.

The example you cite struck me as an example of the poor teaching method that sometimes crops up the book. The simpler example should come first. Obvious, no?

I did wonder about the teaching of the Kandp stuff and how well a person would get on with it if they were of alleged target audience strength and working through the book all on their own. I would agree that you probably would need other sources to learn the principles of each chapter if you weren’t already familiar with them.

These criticisms, notwithstanding, I still think the chapters have been helpful. Not perfect, no, but helpful - and I would agree that there is a value in 'messy reality’ as well as simplified "ideal case". 

The test/exercises are the main event for me though.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #32 - 02/10/17 at 03:10:17
Post Tools
Excuse me, Golenischev, on which the Yusupov books were partly based. Guseinov is a contemporary player whose name was in my ear. I got them mixed up.

http://chessok.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_26_45&products_...

The book/program contains great explanations but in a clumsy translation, though the meaning is always clear. Great basic expositions of two-bishops technique, how to deploy three3 minor pieces against the queen, etc. Not super-wordy, but not as laconic as Yusupov either; just examples obviously chosen by a talented teacher, with clear to-the point comments at critical junctures. (The recent games added by the pedagogically untalented editors, however, are about as clear as mud. I just ignore them.)

There is also an Android version.
« Last Edit: 02/10/17 at 19:21:38 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #31 - 02/09/17 at 23:52:52
Post Tools
Guseinov?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo