Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yusupov’s 9 Book Series (Read 20939 times)
ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Re: Yusupov’s 9 Book Series
Reply #64 - 12/02/17 at 13:51:52
Post Tools
It's clear that Yusupov offers openings that are reputable if equal and that his side can more or less force. He offers advice elsewhere. He is relatively free of dogmatic opinions about this topic. Suit your style, etc., is the kind of thing he says.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #63 - 12/02/17 at 13:47:36
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 12/02/17 at 12:29:39:
In the vlog that Aagaard did with Yusupov about his series, Yusupov said that he prefers for people to read the revision and exam book after the three fundamentals books. Was the German edition of the revision and exam book published as book 4?

It was published as Tigersprung auf DWZ 1500 Übungsbuch (exercise book), a few years after the original nine-book series was published.

Quote:
Also, I noticed that it's called Revision and Exam 1. Does that mean more are coming?

I believe that is the plan. There is not even a German version of a blue exercise book yet, though.

All my information about the German books comes from http://www.jussupow.de/22982.html.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 12/02/17 at 12:29:39
Post Tools
In the vlog that Aagaard did with Yusupov about his series, Yusupov said that he prefers for people to read the revision and exam book after the three fundamentals books. Was the German edition of the revision and exam book published as book 4?

Also, I noticed that it's called Revision and Exam 1. Does that mean more are coming?

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #61 - 11/28/17 at 13:00:59
Post Tools
There are opening repertoire chapters, but honestly they're the least useful part of the series. They consist of a summary of the themes, a few games with lots of variations, and the usual 12 puzzles which sometimes illustrate the themes but sometimes are just regular chess puzzles that happen to arise from that opening.

I don't recall seeing any particularly interesting advice on picking openings.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #60 - 11/28/17 at 03:21:57
Post Tools
Are there any recommendations in the books for an opening repertoire, or advice on how to pick openings?

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #59 - 11/28/17 at 00:58:47
Post Tools
Yes, the German publishing order is correct (all oranges, then all blues, then all greens). Aagaard has publicly regretted the order in which Quality Chess ended up publishing them. I think they weren't sure they were going to be successful enough to publish all nine so they started with a sample from each difficulty level.

I'm 2009 USCF (though I was lower when I started) and I'm glad I started at the beginning, and not just because I'm a completist in general. A lot of the chapters were pretty easy but some of them (particularly on strategy) weren't, and I learned plenty.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 11/27/17 at 23:39:03
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies about the B+N mate. Anyway, the Yusupov set has me intrigued. I might ask for it for Christmas. Wink

My USCF rating is 2136 and I'm curious how much better I can get by reading the books. IM Andrew Greet said he was working through the Fundamentals books and a lot of the exercises were challenging for him, so it's probably a good idea to go through them all in order.

What was the publishing order of the German editions? I believe all the Fundamentals are supposed to be read first, followed by Beyond the Basics, and then Mastery. But the English language editions weren't published in that order, and I was curious if the German publishing order was correct.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #57 - 11/27/17 at 15:06:55
Post Tools
I taught the B+N mate using Deletang's Triangles not too long ago on my YouTube channel: Mating With B+N

Not sure if Williams/Yusupov use the more common "W" method, but I have always preferred the Triangles. No explanation why - perhaps it's just easier for me to remember the necessary info for the once a year it comes up for fun or in blitz.

IP Logged

dave-o
YaBB Newbies

Reply #56 - 11/27/17 at 12:40:54
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 11/27/17 at 03:25:05:
Which of the books does Yusupov teach how to mate with bishop and knight?

It's chapter 12 of the orange "Boost Your Chess" book. 

GM Simon Williams has a couple of YouTube videos where he goes over the technique, which can be useful for reinforcing the ideas once one has gone over that chapter in Yusupov.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 11/27/17 at 03:25:05
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 03/01/17 at 15:22:00:
ReneDescartes wrote on 02/28/17 at 13:00:55:
Why did QC not go all the way to the "super Yusupov challenge": not to read his books in the time recommended (1-2 hours per chapter and 1-2 more per test), nor even to punt each in 10-20 minutes, but--wait for it--simply to buy all 10 books in a year!

Admittedly it's a challenge making challenges less challenging. And evidently to maintain your professed standards while selling what was designed to be a long program of hard work to a public not patient enough to do it.

In this case I think the nervous-businessman Aagard got the better of the tough-talking-teacher-with-integrity Aagard. Maybe he justified it by telling himself that reading the books as blitz chess is better than not reading them at all, but it goes against his whole persona and I find it disappointing. But to err is human, and he does a lot of good things for the chess world.

I think this is a little harsh - but I do know what you mean. It surprised me more than a little to see the suggested rate of progress.

Mind you the context of the blog post makes clear that JA is also planning to read 100 books this year. I’m surprised at that rate of progress too.

It’s not quite the same thing, I grant you, but I don’t think this is just about flogging books.

It’s a blog post, after all. That’s a pretty crappy method for flogging off books, I’d guess.

Which of the books does Yusupov teach how to mate with bishop and knight?

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 03/29/17 at 14:16:51
Post Tools
dfan: The version I have is from 2013 with a lot of current examples. Therefore, I find it fair to compare the two books. I'm sure that the 76-version was fantastic at that time, but chess books are far better now I find.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #53 - 03/29/17 at 13:54:09
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/29/17 at 11:43:38:
I'm not crazy about Soltis' book on pawn structures; to me it seems fair to compare it with Flores' book which goes much deeper without being all that tough. Furthermore, the latter has a lot of exercises which I believe is the way to go to become a stronger chess player...

I think it is fair to give Pawn Structure Chess some credit for having been published in 1976, 14 years before Flores was born.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 03/29/17 at 11:43:38
Post Tools
I really enjoy the above Soltis book which contains a lot of excellent exercises. On page 9 the following is stated: This book will not make you a grandmaster Smiley

I'm not crazy about Soltis' book on pawn structures; to me it seems fair to compare it with Flores' book which goes much deeper without being all that tough. Furthermore, the latter has a lot of exercises which I believe is the way to go to become a stronger chess player...

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #51 - 03/28/17 at 23:54:26
Post Tools
Soltis has written a number of books for Batsford.  Among others, his What it Takes to Become a MasterPaul Brondal wrote on 03/27/17 at 10:59:48:
I don't know if this one is off-topic but in the weekend I bought Soltis' How to become a Grandmaster. Naturally, only really stupid people buy a book with this title  Wink

Earlier, Soltis wrote What it Takes to Become a Chess Master.  It's also a good book, and the goal is more attainable.  Wink

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #50 - 03/28/17 at 22:56:27
Post Tools
I don't believe that the Yusupov books (the orange ones, anyway) are aimed at a higher end of club player than Soltis'. I'm sure Yusupov honestly intended them to be suitable for the rating bands originally identified. But, as he admits in the interview, he didn't entirely succeed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo