Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yusupovís 9 Book Series (Read 20982 times)
BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Yusupovís 9 Book Series
Reply #94 - 03/21/18 at 01:57:40
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/21/18 at 01:38:45:
Iím not used to people agreeing with me, especially not on the internet.

Haha, yeah I guess that's rare if it means someone is changing their mind. Or maybe it's more that people agree and don't want to admit it! Tongue

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #93 - 03/21/18 at 01:38:45
Post Tools
Iím not used to people agreeing with me, especially not on the internet.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #92 - 03/21/18 at 00:40:54
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/18/18 at 14:08:42:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 03/18/18 at 03:11:31:
I like this book but I hate coming across simple refutations like this.
I have three points to make.

1. Itís not possible to write a book without error. Fischer tried with My 60 Memorable Games, and even he did not succeed. Give it a try yourself sometime. Then you will deeply appreciate reading a book with few errors.

2. Itís easy to imagine a scenario for this:
(a) During the selection phase this example was included.
(b) During the checking phase they detected the problem.
(c) A replacement position was selected.
(d) Somehow an older version of the file was printed.
Authorís fault? Editorís? Printerís? Regardless, itís at the authorís door. If you find it annoying, just think how Yusupov feels about it.

3. Chess is critical thinking. Even if a published analysis is correct, the reader should always be asking, ďwait, is that true?Ē When I find the occasional mistaken analysis, instead of being upset with the author for making it, I am happy with myself for finding it. It means my brain is switched on. Congratulations, you are an attentive reader.

Yeah, that's true. Good point. I guess it doesn't matter that much since this series seems pretty good and the occasional mistake doesn't really mean anything.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #91 - 03/18/18 at 14:08:42
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 03/18/18 at 03:11:31:
I like this book but I hate coming across simple refutations like this.
I have three points to make.

1. Itís not possible to write a book without error. Fischer tried with My 60 Memorable Games, and even he did not succeed. Give it a try yourself sometime. Then you will deeply appreciate reading a book with few errors.

2. Itís easy to imagine a scenario for this:
(a) During the selection phase this example was included.
(b) During the checking phase they detected the problem.
(c) A replacement position was selected.
(d) Somehow an older version of the file was printed.
Authorís fault? Editorís? Printerís? Regardless, itís at the authorís door. If you find it annoying, just think how Yusupov feels about it.

3. Chess is critical thinking. Even if a published analysis is correct, the reader should always be asking, ďwait, is that true?Ē When I find the occasional mistaken analysis, instead of being upset with the author for making it, I am happy with myself for finding it. It means my brain is switched on. Congratulations, you are an attentive reader.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 03/18/18 at 03:11:31
Post Tools
Did Yusupov check his solutions with a computer? I'm not so sure. In the solution to Ex. 3-11 on page 41 of Build Up Your Chess 1, he says 10...Na5 is bad due to 11.Qa4+. 10...Na5 might be bad but it's definitely not due to 11.Qa4+. After 11...Bd7 12.Qxa5 b6 13.Qa6 e4, Black gets his piece back and is clearly better, probably winning.

I like this book but I hate coming across simple refutations like this. Actually you don't even need a computer to see this line. It should be pretty obvious, especially to a world-class GM.

IP Logged

doefmat
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #89 - 03/12/18 at 10:08:05
Post Tools
How fast do you guys repeat a chapter after scoring bad?
Can you learn from an exercise when you already saw the solution?

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 01/23/18 at 05:40:48
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 01/23/18 at 01:47:34:
I remember reading Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and† Combinations book and thinking I wished he had listed the games that the positions had come from (I recognized some, but not too many). Well, Yusupov does list them. Now, his presentation might not be your editorial preference. But dishonest? Geez. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

Agree - really like that he gives the players. It helps me appreciate the beauty in these game positions. I also notice that certain players that we have seen shown up getting hammered by some top player in the past in some famous position also had some beautiful wins themselves!

Also I think Yusupov normally does a very good job of saying something like "variation from game" - except in this case maybe.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #87 - 01/23/18 at 01:47:34
Post Tools
I remember reading Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and  Combinations book and thinking I wished he had listed the games that the positions had come from (I recognized some, but not too many). Well, Yusupov does list them. Now, his presentation might not be your editorial preference. But dishonest? Geez. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #86 - 01/22/18 at 06:06:17
Post Tools
IM_Serious wrote on 01/22/18 at 04:35:03:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 01/22/18 at 01:22:27:
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded.

Yusupov demonstrates that Berliner's combination is sound.

Mott actually blundered mate in 2, but many editors would remove such details from a training manual.

The variation Yusupov gives is also a mate in two, just not the mate in two that was actually played. So there's no good reason why he didn't give the actual mate that was played.

IP Logged

IM_Serious
YaBB Newbies

Bibliophile

Reply #85 - 01/22/18 at 04:35:03
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 01/22/18 at 01:22:27:
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded.

Yusupov demonstrates that Berliner's combination is sound.

Mott actually blundered mate in 2, but many editors would remove such details from a training manual.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #84 - 01/22/18 at 01:22:27
Post Tools
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded. I find this to be dishonest. If he had mentioned it was an analysis variation, that's fine, but to present it as the actual game continuation is misleading and makes no sense. If he wants to create his own variation, why even credit the players of the game? Just don't give any names then and present it as a random puzzle.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #83 - 01/15/18 at 11:59:56
Post Tools
IM_Serious wrote on 01/10/18 at 23:14:06:
This interesting subject probably deserves a separate topic of its own.

Anyhow, here's a link to an open-source project which achieves the aim:

github.com/maciejczyzewski/neural-chessboard

This is only for an Apple device.  Cry

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

IM_Serious
YaBB Newbies

Bibliophile

Reply #82 - 01/10/18 at 23:14:06
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 01/10/18 at 19:58:07:
No, while in New York viewing the recent world championship I think I remember seeing a rig near the cafe area of the venue with a fixed camera mounted more or less above an ordinary plastic set in use, and it was getting the moves in pgn or whatever. A small crowd was around it. Maybe an experimental demo of something not released? I didn't pay much attention, but I remember thinking "cool, soon no expensive DGT board."

This interesting subject probably deserves a separate topic of its own.

Anyhow, here's a link to an open-source project which achieves the aim:

github.com/maciejczyzewski/neural-chessboard

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #81 - 01/10/18 at 19:58:07
Post Tools
No, while in New York viewing the recent world championship I think I remember seeing a rig near the cafe area of the venue with a fixed camera mounted more or less above an ordinary plastic set in use, and it was getting the moves in pgn or whatever. A small crowd was around it. Maybe an experimental demo of something not released? I didn't pay much attention, but I remember thinking "cool, soon no expensive DGT board."

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #80 - 01/10/18 at 18:38:16
Post Tools
QC probably magnified the issue by changing the naming scheme. In the editions directly controlled by Yusupov the titles are (transl.) "Tiger's Jump to XXX Vol. 1/2/3"
XXX=
1500 -> orange books
1800 -> blue
2100 -> green

The book you mentioned should be 1800 II, which is still a second book in the series.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #79 - 01/04/18 at 10:19:59
Post Tools
The intro to Boost Your Chess 2 says that itís the first volume in a series for players wishing to build the foundations of their chess. Uhh... Thatís exactly what the Build Your Chess 1 book says. As if the titles and publication dates werenít confusing enough, they also have mistakes in the intros. Why would a book with the number 2 in the title be the first in a series...

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #78 - 12/10/17 at 23:02:18
Post Tools
Yeah that verbiage is dumb.

The ability to scan a 3D board, without some google-level learning database, is not really feasable.  I expect they have that blurb there for hype-building purposes, and aren't anywhere close to actually having this implemented (the android app that I use does not have it).

If this feature did exist, it would be pretty useful to get a quick engine evaluation of a position in the skittles room, or when analyzing with your friends at a bar.

i don't really see it being useful for cheaters though.  Standing over the board and lining your phone up just right before you take a picture, then checking and verifying that the translation happened correctly, has got to be suspicious.

I think people that want to cheat just have some covert communication mechanism, or simply have their accomplice memorize the position and plug it into a laptop in some covert area or something.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #77 - 12/10/17 at 06:54:12
Post Tools
pawngrabber wrote on 12/09/17 at 13:56:19:
I know this isn't a complete solution, but I use chessify android app to OCR all of the puzzles and then save as PGNs.† I slice and dice them where I have PGNs for each book, one PGN for all 'tactics' chapters from all books, and one PGN for all 'endgame' chapters from all books.

A tangent: I wasn't aware of Chessify and had a look at the features listed on their website (http://www.chessify.me/). The section on 3D recognition raised an eyebrow:

Quote:
The real chess board scanner is a result of our latest research in a field of Artificial Intelligence. Powerful 3D recognition software was created using state-of-art technologies of Deep Learning. It provides users ability to scan real chess board and get the digitised board on their phone. Using our advanced tool during chess tournaments will make possible to follow the game and livestream analysis simultaneously. Being first in itís field 3D chess board scanner is going to be one of the strongest and useful tools in the world!

It's difficult to read this as anything other than a blatant invitation to cheating. Why else would you want to go and scan a current game position on a board during chess tournaments and compare it with "livestream analysis"? In fact, merely by bringing a smartphone into the tournament hall, and certainly by keeping it turned on, you're likely in breach of the FIDE rules.

So how about taking pictures of the board while a game is in progress, and OCR-ing positions while keeping a livestream running? Have these people slept through every single cheating scandal in the past decade?!

I'm sure it's otherwise a great product; thinking of getting it myself. But they need to rewrite that section on 3D recognition, and maybe consider dropping this functionality altogether. Though I can see some uses for it in training, i.e. to quickly store positions of variations I've calculated (stepping stones, end points of variations, etc.)† for future reference.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #76 - 12/09/17 at 17:28:42
Post Tools
If you have the .pgn files, you can import them into Chess Position Trainer and used spaced reinforcement to drill them (though not on a phone).

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #75 - 12/09/17 at 13:56:19
Post Tools
I know this isn't a complete solution, but I use chessify android app to OCR all of the puzzles and then save as PGNs.  I slice and dice them where I have PGNs for each book, one PGN for all 'tactics' chapters from all books, and one PGN for all 'endgame' chapters from all books.

This way I can take the PGNs on my phone and do drills here and there, like in-between meetings at work.  It's also nice to be able to do a puzzle at 'random' (not knowing the theme of the chapter, so you don't know what you are supposed to be looking for).

This is a good supplement to, but not a replacement for, the method of studying recommended by Artur in the introduction of the books -- studying each chapter as a 'lesson' with a board, moving all of the variations on the board, and writing down all of your variations when solving the exercises.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #74 - 12/08/17 at 02:56:56
Post Tools
BigTy wrote on 12/08/17 at 00:54:30:
Does anyone know if QC plans to release this series on ForwardChess? I would love to have the books in paper, but as someone who is living abroad and moving fairly often, hauling around another 9 books on top of the 15 or so chess books (not to mention some books on other things) I have already is kind of impractical.

As far as I remember Yusupov did not agree to that.

IP Logged

BigTy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #73 - 12/08/17 at 00:54:30
Post Tools
Does anyone know if QC plans to release this series on ForwardChess? I would love to have the books in paper, but as someone who is living abroad and moving fairly often, hauling around another 9 books on top of the 15 or so chess books (not to mention some books on other things) I have already is kind of impractical.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #72 - 12/07/17 at 19:05:49
Post Tools
The main thing is the hardcovers stay open when laid flat on a table.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #71 - 12/07/17 at 07:05:30
Post Tools
Gerry1970 wrote on 12/07/17 at 04:35:23:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 12/04/17 at 03:52:13:
Is the binding quality good for the soft cover editions? The only Quality Chess book I have is the Ftacnik one on the Sicilian Defense and the first couple pages are very loosely secured to the binding.

I am very hard on books as I open them flat as a pancake. Press hard on them in multiple sections to force this to happen. So I had a problem with a few pages coming loose in one of 3 books.

I am usually not hard on my books, and still the GM6 fell apart. I got a new copy for free, though.

But I also think I had pages falling out in one of Marin's volumes as well. I think QC had some problems with the soft covers for a while, and changed binding (company or method, don't know).

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #70 - 12/07/17 at 04:35:23
Post Tools
Is the binding quality good for the soft cover editions? The only Quality Chess book I have is the Ftacnik one on the Sicilian Defense and the first couple pages are very loosely secured to the binding.

I am very hard on books as I open them flat as a pancake. Press hard on them in multiple sections to force this to happen. So I had a problem with a few pages coming loose in one of 3 books.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #69 - 12/07/17 at 04:19:21
Post Tools
I have seen things written about this that say:
1) books have been shown to experts and they were surprised that they found some of it difficult - very much paraphrasing, sorry; and
2) there is something in the orange books for everyone.

But I could not provide sources if asked - sorry.

Gerry

Stigma wrote on 12/02/17 at 16:50:53:
So Revision and Exam 1 is exercises for just the three easiest books.

As great as I'm sure they are, a lot of the material in these Yusupov books is certain to duplicate other books/material in my oversized chess library, so If I ever get to them I plan on skipping at least the first three. The revision book(s) could tell me whether that's deluded!

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 12/06/17 at 16:53:43
Post Tools

I have studied mine heavily, throw them around in my briefcase often, and they haven't started falling apart yet.  I don't have Ftacnik but I have a whole lot of recent softcover quality chess books and print quality is outstanding.

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #67 - 12/06/17 at 16:48:46
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 11/28/17 at 03:21:57:
Are there any recommendations in the books for an opening repertoire, or advice on how to pick openings?

There are chapters on openings, including many titled something like "A repertoire for white against the french defense", but I think the real idea behind them is teaching you how to study openings, and the basic themes behind them.

Just off the top of my head, the openings covered are:

As white:
Four knights (4. d4 I think)
Closed Sicilian
Advance French
Caro Kann Panov
then with d4 (later in the green books, after teaching all the e4 openings) he goes into colle zukertort, petrosian KID, and grunfeld russian system.† No coverage of d4 with c4 as white, except vs grunfeld and KID.

As black:
Petroff, then French (Winawer)
QGD Lasker's Defense
QGA

If you look at Yusupov's games himself, he was fond of the queen's pawn game (d-pawn specials in chesspub terminology), especially the zukertort, but playing c4 against indians and sometimes slav, and as black the petroff, french, and QGD Lasker.† So he pretty much preaches what he practiced.

I agree that openings aren't the important part of the book, and pretty much any openings would be fine for anyone studying this series.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #66 - 12/04/17 at 03:52:13
Post Tools

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #65 - 12/02/17 at 16:50:53
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 12/02/17 at 13:47:36:
Quote:
Also, I noticed that it's called Revision and Exam 1. Does that mean more are coming?

I believe that is the plan. There is not even a German version of a blue exercise book yet, though.

All my information about the German books comes from http://www.jussupow.de/22982.html.

So Revision and Exam 1 is exercises for just the three easiest books.

As great as I'm sure they are, a lot of the material in these Yusupov books is certain to duplicate other books/material in my oversized chess library, so If I ever get to them I plan on skipping at least the first three. The revision book(s) could tell me whether that's deluded!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #64 - 12/02/17 at 13:51:52
Post Tools
It's clear that Yusupov offers openings that are reputable if equal and that his side can more or less force. He offers advice elsewhere. He is relatively free of dogmatic opinions about this topic. Suit your style, etc., is the kind of thing he says.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #63 - 12/02/17 at 13:47:36
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 12/02/17 at 12:29:39:
In the vlog that Aagaard did with Yusupov about his series, Yusupov said that he prefers for people to read the revision and exam book after the three fundamentals books. Was the German edition of the revision and exam book published as book 4?

It was published as Tigersprung auf DWZ 1500 ‹bungsbuch (exercise book), a few years after the original nine-book series was published.

Quote:
Also, I noticed that it's called Revision and Exam 1. Does that mean more are coming?

I believe that is the plan. There is not even a German version of a blue exercise book yet, though.

All my information about the German books comes from http://www.jussupow.de/22982.html.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 12/02/17 at 12:29:39
Post Tools
In the vlog that Aagaard did with Yusupov about his series, Yusupov said that he prefers for people to read the revision and exam book after the three fundamentals books. Was the German edition of the revision and exam book published as book 4?

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #61 - 11/28/17 at 13:00:59
Post Tools
There are opening repertoire chapters, but honestly they're the least useful part of the series. They consist of a summary of the themes, a few games with lots of variations, and the usual 12 puzzles which sometimes illustrate the themes but sometimes are just regular chess puzzles that happen to arise from that opening.

I don't recall seeing any particularly interesting advice on picking openings.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #60 - 11/28/17 at 03:21:57
Post Tools
Are there any recommendations in the books for an opening repertoire, or advice on how to pick openings?

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #59 - 11/28/17 at 00:58:47
Post Tools
Yes, the German publishing order is correct (all oranges, then all blues, then all greens). Aagaard has publicly regretted the order in which Quality Chess ended up publishing them. I think they weren't sure they were going to be successful enough to publish all nine so they started with a sample from each difficulty level.

I'm 2009 USCF (though I was lower when I started) and I'm glad I started at the beginning, and not just because I'm a completist in general. A lot of the chapters were pretty easy but some of them (particularly on strategy) weren't, and I learned plenty.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 11/27/17 at 23:39:03
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies about the B+N mate. Anyway, the Yusupov set has me intrigued. I might ask for it for Christmas. Wink

My USCF rating is 2136 and I'm curious how much better I can get by reading the books. IM Andrew Greet said he was working through the Fundamentals books and a lot of the exercises were challenging for him, so it's probably a good idea to go through them all in order.

What was the publishing order of the German editions? I believe all the Fundamentals are supposed to be read first, followed by Beyond the Basics, and then Mastery. But the English language editions weren't published in that order, and I was curious if the German publishing order was correct.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #57 - 11/27/17 at 15:06:55
Post Tools
I taught the B+N mate using Deletang's Triangles not too long ago on my YouTube channel: Mating With B+N

Not sure if Williams/Yusupov use the more common "W" method, but I have always preferred the Triangles. No explanation why - perhaps it's just easier for me to remember the necessary info for the once a year it comes up for fun or in blitz.

IP Logged

dave-o
YaBB Newbies

Reply #56 - 11/27/17 at 12:40:54
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 11/27/17 at 03:25:05:
Which of the books does Yusupov teach how to mate with bishop and knight?

It's chapter 12 of the orange "Boost Your Chess" book. 

GM Simon Williams has a couple of YouTube videos where he goes over the technique, which can be useful for reinforcing the ideas once one has gone over that chapter in Yusupov.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 11/27/17 at 03:25:05
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 03/01/17 at 15:22:00:
ReneDescartes wrote on 02/28/17 at 13:00:55:
Why did QC not go all the way to the "super Yusupov challenge": not to read his books in the time recommended (1-2 hours per chapter and 1-2 more per test), nor even to punt each in 10-20 minutes, but--wait for it--simply to buy all 10 books in a year!

Admittedly it's a challenge making challenges less challenging. And evidently to maintain your professed standards while selling what was designed to be a long program of hard work to a public not patient enough to do it.

In this case I think the nervous-businessman Aagard got the better of the tough-talking-teacher-with-integrity Aagard. Maybe he justified it by telling himself that reading the books as blitz chess is better than not reading them at all, but it goes against his whole persona and I find it disappointing. But to err is human, and he does a lot†of good things for the chess world.

I think this is a little harsh - but I do know what you mean. It surprised me more than a little to see the suggested rate of progress.

Mind you the context of the blog post makes clear that JA is also planning to read 100 books this year. Iím surprised at that rate of progress too.

Itís not quite the same thing, I grant you, but I donít think this is just about flogging books.

Itís a blog post, after all. Thatís a pretty crappy method for flogging off books, Iíd guess.

Which of the books does Yusupov teach how to mate with bishop and knight?

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 03/29/17 at 14:16:51
Post Tools
dfan: The version I have is from 2013 with a lot of current examples. Therefore, I find it fair to compare the two books. I'm sure that the 76-version was fantastic at that time, but chess books are far better now I find.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #53 - 03/29/17 at 13:54:09
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/29/17 at 11:43:38:
I'm not crazy about Soltis' book on pawn structures; to me it seems fair to compare it with Flores' book which goes much deeper without being all that tough. Furthermore, the latter has a lot of exercises which I believe is the way to go to become a stronger chess player...

I think it is fair to give Pawn Structure Chess some credit for having been published in 1976, 14 years before Flores was born.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 03/29/17 at 11:43:38
Post Tools
I really enjoy the above Soltis book which contains a lot of excellent exercises. On page 9 the following is stated: This book will not make you a grandmaster Smiley

I'm not crazy about Soltis' book on pawn structures; to me it seems fair to compare it with Flores' book which goes much deeper without being all that tough. Furthermore, the latter has a lot of exercises which I believe is the way to go to become a stronger chess player...

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #51 - 03/28/17 at 23:54:26
Post Tools
Soltis has written a number of books for Batsford.† Among others, his What it Takes to Become a MasterPaul Brondal wrote on 03/27/17 at 10:59:48:
I don't know if this one is off-topic but in the weekend I bought Soltis' How to become a Grandmaster. Naturally, only really stupid people buy a book with this title† Wink

Earlier, Soltis wrote What it Takes to Become a Chess Master.† It's also a good book, and the goal is more attainable.† Wink

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #50 - 03/28/17 at 22:56:27
Post Tools
I don't believe that the Yusupov books (the orange ones, anyway) are aimed at a higher end of club player than Soltis'. I'm sure Yusupov honestly intended them to be suitable for the rating bands originally identified. But, as he admits in the interview, he didn't entirely succeed.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 03/27/17 at 20:42:31
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/27/17 at 10:59:48:
I don't know if this one is off-topic but in the weekend I bought Soltis' How to become a Grandmaster. Naturally, only really stupid people buy a book with this title† Wink

Anyway, in the above it is clear that Yusupov may find it difficult to understand club players. I'm not, in general, a big fan of Soltis' books but I like what I've read so far in the above. To me it seems clear that Soltis understands club players as the above book has "50 attributes of grandmaster thinking" as he puts it. The topics explain the difference between amateurs and grandmasters. For example, the first topic Uber Luft shows how GM's may play h4 instead of h3 to avoid back-rank mates where many players would choose h3. It is very interesting!

I like Soltis' work. It's usually his older opening books that attract criticism for being rushed, or less than thorough. His historical books tend to be well thought of, and his more explanatory books (his book on pawn structures and the one you had mentioned for example). However, i think he is writing for a different audience to that of Yusupov, whose books are probably aimed at a higher end of club player than Soltis.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #48 - 03/27/17 at 10:59:48
Post Tools
I don't know if this one is off-topic but in the weekend I bought Soltis' How to become a Grandmaster. Naturally, only really stupid people buy a book with this title  Wink

Anyway, in the above it is clear that Yusupov may find it difficult to understand club players. I'm not, in general, a big fan of Soltis' books but I like what I've read so far in the above. To me it seems clear that Soltis understands club players as the above book has "50 attributes of grandmaster thinking" as he puts it. The topics explain the difference between amateurs and grandmasters. For example, the first topic Uber Luft shows how GM's may play h4 instead of h3 to avoid back-rank mates where many players would choose h3. It is very interesting!

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 03/24/17 at 12:08:19
Post Tools
I find the interview extremely entertaining. It is also great to hear him say, as Straggler wrote, that the rating ranges are approximate. It may be an excellent idea to make books like  Gulko's Lessons with a Grandmaster where a non-elite player is the co-author of the book.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 03/24/17 at 11:48:50
Post Tools
Incidentally, I've noticed an annoying aspect of the Steps books, which are discussed earlier in this thread: the publishers seem to let the updates get out of kilter, so that the answers in the current edition of a manual don't always match the exercises in the current edition of the corresponding workbook. It's not a major problem because you can check for yourself whether your answer is right, and indeed that is (or should be) part of the exercise. But it's inconvenient, and I haven't seen it pointed out elsewhere.

Edit: Ah, but I now see that the answers for the latest edition can be downloaded from their website. So not a problem at all. (I also see that I got one wrong which I was sure I had got right, so it's worth checking the answers.)

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #45 - 03/24/17 at 10:08:17
Post Tools
The QC blog now has a video of Aagaard interviewing Yusupov about the series. In response to Aagaard's suggestion that the advertised rating bands are "wrong", Yusupov admits that they are "approximate": "a big difficulty was not to push too much over the target, which of course I partly failed". He does admit that he is "over-qualified" for such a project, because "as a grandmaster" (a bit of an under-statement!) he "sometimes" doesn't know what a club player would be thinking.

There is some discussion of the importance of writing down the variations, but no clarification of whether the reader is supposed to do this while calculating them or only afterwards.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #44 - 03/06/17 at 22:09:39
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/06/17 at 16:56:14:
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/02/17 at 07:02:59:
ReneDescartes, in general I really enjoy reading your comments which are eloquent and full of insight. I also† understand your point about the challenge. However, here I find you are a bit harsh. Sure, Aagaard's suggestions for reading the books are at a much faster pace than Yusupov's recommendations as you write. On the other hand, even though Yusupov's books are superb, it doesn't mean that you have to use the books exactly as he points out. In Saddler's review of a Yusupov book, it is clear that he doesn't follow the recommendations but still gives the books a high grade.

Over the past few years, I have teased a chess friend about him having all of Yusupov's books but never reading them. The challenge was an incentive for him to start reading them. He wrote me that I have given him such a bad conscience but seeing the post on QC was what could seriously make him try the challenge.

I find Aagaard a very nice and helpful guy and I have a high regard about his person. When you see what is offered on the market with over-priced videos, low-quality chess books and so on, I don't see a problem here Smiley

Honestly, very inventive harsh expressions often occur to me, but I try to exercise restraint because I think that what is negative is usually vain in every sense of the word.

This is just a post in a chess forum, but I have noticed that, even in very great works, what is ultimately negative--for example, masterful sarcasm by Voltaire against the church--is eventually forgotten, while what† is of positive inherent interest, though it might be, for example, tragic, is remembered. But these matters are both subtle and complicated. I very much respect Oscar Wilde, for example. Anyway, I aspire to take care on this point†whenever I write or speak.

I retract the first two paragraphs of the quoted post--the "Super Yusupov Challenge" and the reference to not upholding professed standards. I would be glad to ask a mod to delete it if other posters would agree to take it out of their quotes.

On the other hand, I stand by the last paragraph, which is not exaggerated with too-clever writing. Aagard is a tough-talking teacher of integrity--that's no act--as well as a businessman. Though clearly a super-GM talent like Sadler hardly needs to do the material the suggested way to get maximum benefit out of it, and maybe you and some others don't either--readers obviously vary in their ability to visualize without a board, even at the same level, and to hold a tree of variations in short-term memory--I think that for most people a rapid traversal is not as useful as a slow one. And while for someone like your friend doing them in a suboptimal way undoubtedly† really is better than not doing them at all, I still don't think it's a positive development for someone with Aagard's deserved influence or authority to encourage the general public to do them in a way that's not the best.

Your comments were not harsh in any way.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 03/06/17 at 21:20:56
Post Tools
Some interesting comments on here as always.

I was surprised, like Rene, by Aagaard's recommendation/challenge given the great books they have produced and his belief in the power of hard work (he mentions "brain damage material" in a recent blog comment).

Nevertheless it looks like it got people excited and maybe now they will try the books. For me, any blog/post on the topic helps to keep my motivation. I need something as we all have a full and busy life. So I liked Jonathan's idea of a blog post with ongoing comments about progress for the Yusupov series.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #42 - 03/06/17 at 16:56:14
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/02/17 at 07:02:59:
ReneDescartes, in general I really enjoy reading your comments which are eloquent and full of insight. I also† understand your point about the challenge. However, here I find you are a bit harsh. Sure, Aagaard's suggestions for reading the books are at a much faster pace than Yusupov's recommendations as you write. On the other hand, even though Yusupov's books are superb, it doesn't mean that you have to use the books exactly as he points out. In Saddler's review of a Yusupov book, it is clear that he doesn't follow the recommendations but still gives the books a high grade.

Over the past few years, I have teased a chess friend about him having all of Yusupov's books but never reading them. The challenge was an incentive for him to start reading them. He wrote me that I have given him such a bad conscience but seeing the post on QC was what could seriously make him try the challenge.

I find Aagaard a very nice and helpful guy and I have a high regard about his person. When you see what is offered on the market with over-priced videos, low-quality chess books and so on, I don't see a problem here Smiley

Honestly, very inventive harsh expressions often occur to me, but I try to exercise restraint because I think that what is negative is usually vain in every sense of the word.

This is just a post in a chess forum, but I have noticed that, even in very great works, what is ultimately negative--for example, masterful sarcasm by Voltaire against the church--is eventually forgotten, while what† is of positive inherent interest, though it might be, for example, tragic, is remembered. But these matters are both subtle and complicated. I very much respect Oscar Wilde, for example. Anyway, I aspire to take care on this point†whenever I write or speak.

I retract the first two paragraphs of the quoted post--the "Super Yusupov Challenge" and the reference to not upholding professed standards. I would be glad to ask a mod to delete it if other posters would agree to take it out of their quotes.

On the other hand, I stand by the last paragraph, which is not exaggerated with too-clever writing. Aagard is a tough-talking teacher of integrity--that's no act--as well as a businessman. Though clearly a super-GM talent like Sadler hardly needs to do the material the suggested way to get maximum benefit out of it, and maybe you and some others don't either--readers obviously vary in their ability to visualize without a board, even at the same level, and to hold a tree of variations in short-term memory--I think that for most people a rapid traversal is not as useful as a slow one. And while for someone like your friend doing them in a suboptimal way undoubtedly† really is better than not doing them at all, I still don't think it's a positive development for someone with Aagard's deserved influence or authority to encourage the general public to do them in a way that's not the best.
« Last Edit: 03/06/17 at 20:25:19 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 03/06/17 at 12:46:54
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 01/27/17 at 13:02:25:
Serious question:

Are there any documented cases of someone working their way through the lot. Fom page 1 of book 1 to the last page of book 9

The quality chess blog has found 76 such people.

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/5905

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com† "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 03/06/17 at 09:02:56
Post Tools
I was so inspired by the Yusupov Challenge, so that I decided to make an alternative Challenge: The Grandmaster Preparation Challenge. Have already tried these books earlier on but they were on the tough side. Did the first 39 exercises in Calculation in the chapter Candidate Moves and the results are really good now. Use about 4 minutes per exercise with a score of 70%!

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 03/02/17 at 07:02:59
Post Tools
ReneDescartes, in general I really enjoy reading your comments which are eloquent and full of insight. I also  understand your point about the challenge. However, here I find you are a bit harsh. Sure, Aagaard's suggestions for reading the books are at a much faster pace than Yusupov's recommendations as you write. On the other hand, even though Yusupov's books are superb, it doesn't mean that you have to use the books exactly as he points out. In Saddler's review of a Yusupov book, it is clear that he doesn't follow the recommendations but still gives the books a high grade.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 03/01/17 at 15:22:00
Post Tools
Why did QC not go all the way to the "super Yusupov challenge": not to read his books in the time recommended (1-2 hours per chapter and 1-2 more per test), nor even to punt each in 10-20 minutes, but--wait for it--simply to buy all 10 books in a year!

Admittedly it's a challenge making challenges less challenging. And evidently to maintain your professed standards while selling what was designed to be a long program of hard work to a public not patient enough to do it.

In this case I think the nervous-businessman Aagard got the better of the tough-talking-teacher-with-integrity Aagard. Maybe he justified it by telling himself that reading the books as blitz chess is better than not reading them at all, but it goes against his whole persona and I find it disappointing. But to err is human, and he does a lot†of good things for the chess world.

I think this is a little harsh - but I do know what you mean. It surprised me more than a little to see the suggested rate of progress.

Mind you the context of the blog post makes clear that JA is also planning to read 100 books this year. Iím surprised at that rate of progress too.

Itís not quite the same thing, I grant you, but I donít think this is just about flogging books.

Itís a blog post, after all. Thatís a pretty crappy method for flogging off books, Iíd guess.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com† "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #37 - 02/28/17 at 22:09:32
Post Tools
selling what was designed to be a long program of hard work to a public not patient enough to do it.†

That is some serious insight being well articulated right there.

Agreed and since no one is actually forced to work beyond their own pace its all good!

As per the original intent of this thread:

~ I started the series five years ago and have managed to get through all of them one time and am actually going through them a 2md time and close to finishing the 3rd book (again).†

On many times I scored a lot better and far too many times I scored worse on the second go round.† †Grin

I am still on the cusp is USA class A/expert last 3 years but was on the cusp class B/class A when I started.

I feel like a know a lot more chess and some things have clarified but one thing is that I have started accepting that if there is a ceiling I might be closing in on mine.† I love studying and playing so I keep doing it but at this point how much better am I going to get?

I am really good now at Knight & Bishop mates.† I actually played into one as the inferior side recently and my opponent (an expert!)† immediately offered a draw because he said he was tired and knew he did not know how to do it so why bother letting a crowd gather for that debacle, eh?† † Cool

I still have dreams of making it to actual expert level (USCF Floor rating 2000) and will keep working.

edit to add: and i just re-up my sub here and went all sections

Smiley

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #36 - 02/28/17 at 13:00:55
Post Tools

« Last Edit: 02/28/17 at 19:58:41 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 02/28/17 at 12:29:58
Post Tools
Well this thread title should be corrected - itís 10 books, of course.

Anyway, it seems like theyíll be quite a few folk whoíve finished the series by the end of the year.

See the Yusupov Challenge thread on the QC blog.

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/5895

PS: Iím 1 book and 1 chapter ahead of the game.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #34 - 02/10/17 at 18:23:37
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 02/10/17 at 13:40:29:
The simpler example should come first. Obvious, no?

Yes, of course.

I think the teaching philosophy and the understatement of the target-audience rating are still the main difficulties, though. Unfortunately, these reinforce each other. A too-difficult problem in the everything-is-intricately-related style can look like chaos even when you read the solution, making you just feel lost. The pure style is not as demoralizing for those below the target audience (though in they many not be improving much); it may be impossible for a 1200 player to find Taimanov's corridor mate in three against Karpov, 1977, but once he reads the solution he remains oriented.
« Last Edit: 02/10/17 at 22:24:00 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 02/10/17 at 13:40:29
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/09/17 at 20:58:42:
I may be the only person on the planet who isn't completely enamored with the Yusupov series.

No. I have my own reservations. Principally, the issues that you mention.

Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/09/17 at 20:58:42:
I
I love the exercises, and I think the books are excellent for chess coaches. But there are many pedagogical issues with the actual books. For instance, has anyone else noticed that when Yusupov uses his own games as examples, they are almost always very complex, and not very good examples of the theme he is trying to demonstrate?

Yes, indeed.† Also, for example, Chapter 14 in book one - Open Files and Outposts - when he doesnít actually explain what an outpost is

ReneDescartes wrote on 02/09/17 at 22:21:38:
I did the chapter you refer to. In the Baburin game, the fragment gives a realistic combination culminating in a straight Damiano mate at the end. The next example gives an abbreviated version (only one rook sacrificed) that is pure wit no preliminaries. After these, if you hadn't already, you would know the new idea.

The example you cite struck me as an example of the poor teaching method that sometimes crops up the book. The simpler example should come first. Obvious, no?

I did wonder about the teaching of the Kandp stuff and how well a person would get on with it if they were of alleged target audience strength and working through the book all on their own.†I would agree that you probably would need other sources to learn the principles of each chapter if you werenít already familiar with them.

These criticisms, notwithstanding, I still think the chapters have been helpful. Not perfect, no, but helpful - and I would agree that there is a value in 'messy realityí as well as simplified "ideal case".†

The test/exercises are the main event for me though.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #32 - 02/10/17 at 03:10:17
Post Tools
Excuse me, Golenischev, on which the Yusupov books were partly based. Guseinov is a contemporary player whose name was in my ear. I got them mixed up.

http://chessok.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_26_45&products_...

The book/program contains great explanations but in a clumsy translation, though the meaning is always clear. Great basic expositions of two-bishops technique, how to deploy three3 minor pieces against the queen, etc. Not super-wordy, but not as laconic as Yusupov either; just examples obviously chosen by a talented teacher, with clear to-the point comments at critical junctures. (The recent games added by the pedagogically untalented editors, however, are about as clear as mud. I just ignore them.)

There is also an Android version.
« Last Edit: 02/10/17 at 19:21:38 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #31 - 02/09/17 at 23:52:52
Post Tools
Guseinov?

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #30 - 02/09/17 at 22:21:38
Post Tools
Well, I think it's a Russian philosophy of teaching. It's like the examples in Blokh, where you must try to calculate through preliminaries and obstacles to bring about a situation where the idea can be executed. When I'm reading Yusupov's examples, I have to look actively for the idea, and ask myself how it's functioning in the game. This active learning is very effective--if you can stand the strain.

I did the chapter you refer to. In the Baburin game, the fragment gives a realistic combination culminating in a straight Damiano mate at the end. The next example gives an abbreviated version (only one rook sacrificed) that is pure wit no preliminaries. After these, if you hadn't already, you would know the new idea.

In the chapter on centralization in the same book there is what you might consider an even more extreme case--the study-like save of Fisher-Keres,where Keres, in the manner of the World Champion he would have been, allows Fisher an extra queen--but now matter how it tries, it can do no damage in the presence of Keres' piece configuration. The example is late-Mozart-level genius, a tour de force, and hardly graspable at once without work, but you go through it and ask yourself "ok, so how did centralization save Keres?" And the answer is that when the emergency happened, the queen was able to cover a few key squares--that's all. Then you ask yourself "is that all there is to it?" And you realize: it just takes covering a couple of key squares to make everything work. A centralized piece doesn't have to act like Kasparov's† "octopus knight," dominating every other life form on the planet, to be energized by its central position. But consider centralization in your variations and candidates as Keres did, and good things will often pop up like bubbles in sparkling water. "That's the way it is," as Walter Cronkite would say.

As I said above, if you want a pure presentation and clean drill of ideas, use the Steps (I really am impressed with these Dutch textbooks. And the style of the examples is noticeably like Euwe's playing style). If you want ideas with a natural surrounding of calculation, where, as in a real game, you must fight for your idea, in harder cases without success, use Yusupov--or Blokh, or Guseinov, or Khmelnitsky, which all have the same flavor. Or, better, use both approaches together.
« Last Edit: 02/10/17 at 13:20:16 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #29 - 02/09/17 at 20:58:42
Post Tools
I may be the only person on the planet who isn't completely enamored with the Yusupov series.

I love the exercises, and I think the books are excellent for chess coaches. But there are many pedagogical issues with the actual books. For instance, has anyone else noticed that when Yusupov uses his own games as examples, they are almost always very complex, and not very good examples of the theme he is trying to demonstrate?

Also, many of the exercises have almost nothing to do with the introductory material.
Here's an example from book one chapter 4, simple pawn endings:

The introductory material starts off with a single pawn in the center, moves to single g-pawn, then covers single rook pawn vs lone king before moving to zugwzang positions where both sides have 1 pawn and finishing up with a simple discussion of the square of the pawn. The most complex example in the chapter has 2 pawns each, but white immediately sacs one of those pawns to block off the opposing king. It's all very straight-forward. But then the exercises cover all sorts of other "simple pawn" endgames that weren't covered in the introductory material.

This would be fine for a chess coach who knows about this stuff. But for someone trying to learn the material, it's setting up the student to fail.

In the same book, (chapter 2), Yusupov introduces the Damiano Mate with a brilliant tactical game that Adianto played against Baburin, rather than by showing the mate in its purest form. This is a pattern in all the books I've used.

The Yusupov books offer some fantastic material but I am extremely skeptical of any new player being able to use these books without prior guidance and experience. I'd recommend the series to chess coaches, but not students.

The Step method is a much better series for the self-paced student.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #28 - 02/09/17 at 15:36:12
Post Tools
I think you have to enjoy  the hard work, enjoy the search for self-mastery. If that has an element of masochism in it, then so it is. After all, most people's taste does not run to our final goal--doing the intellectual and physical equivalent of a six-hour math exam that makes itself harder whenever you have a good idea!

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #27 - 02/09/17 at 15:20:44
Post Tools

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 02/09/17 at 12:19:15
Post Tools
Gerry1970 wrote on 02/07/17 at 00:25:19:
...  Long and the short of it is it become more like work and less like fun. So I quit. So I am back with a healthier attitude I think and going through the Yusupov books.

I am also working on my process at the board in terms of concentration.

Iím sure thatís why improvement is so difficult - the process isnít fun particularly.  Not sure thatís particularly unique to chess though. When I complained to my piano teacher that Iíd had to really slog my way through learning a piece, she said that was just how learning to play the piano is.

I suppose it has to be like that really. Not many people - as per the previous posterís comment - like being wrong all the time but to improve you have to put yourself in that position.

If it wasn't like that weíd all by Grandmasters and concert pianists, I guess.

Btw:
Part of my motivation of trying to focus on Yusupov and work my way through the books is the concentration practice.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 02/09/17 at 12:14:27
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 02/05/17 at 20:51:14:
what would you recommend for 1500s instead?

Well iím a bit late to this and I donít have too much I can say anyway. Iíve used Step 1 and 2 a lot - I teach beginners - and itís very good. I didnít know the later Steps got so advanced but given what people say above Iíd definitely suggest theyíre worth checking out.

Itís not just the Steps material per se, itís the method that I thinks work well. Puzzle and active thinking based, generates concrete results data to track progress and allows things like Axel Smithís Woodpecker Method.

The only possible downside might be I thought they were designed to be used in groups with a teacher. They arenít any answer books, I believe, which may prove tricky if youíre working on your own.

Or maybe thatís just how I use them.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 02/07/17 at 00:25:19
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 02/05/17 at 14:33:39:
Anwyay, Iíve picked up a fair amount of knowledge along the way - e.g. endgame theory and I recognised certain test positions (Morphy at the Opera crops us - and thereís a position fro the first Alekhine - Capablanca game for instance). What I lack, I think, is the skill to apply this knowledge.

I donít think Im rushing too much yet but Iíll certainly have to slow down later. What i do need is to work out how best to work with the books. I think Iím too fond of the tactics chapters. Its easy to feel youíre making progress by completing those.

Lots in your post but the bold really resonated with me. In the past I have made what I thought was a serious study attempt including using a spaced repetition system. Long and the short of it is it become more like work and less like fun. So I quit. So I am back with a healthier attitude I think and going through the Yusupov books.

Because there is so much in these books I am slowly adding the positions to a spaced repetition system to help recall. And it is interesting to see which positions I struggle with etc.

Still I wonder about applying this knowledge! It seems that I get so few of the positions on the board! (But then again I am only starting Book 2 so that could get better.)

I am also working on my process at the board in terms of concentration, etc. It is helpful that others are going through the Yusupov books as it acts as inspiration in a way.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #23 - 02/06/17 at 19:11:47
Post Tools
No, no, you're right--I just remembered the levels from the website wrong. But I think the description of the difference is still accurate.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 02/06/17 at 18:31:09
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 02/06/17 at 14:11:21:
One striking difference between the Steps and the Yusupov series is that the solutions in the Steps books are nearly all 3 moves or less,† all the way through† Step 4 (up to 1850 ELO/1950 USCF).

Is that your own assessment of the level of Step 4? Chess-steps.com gives < USCF 1750 for Step 4, and 1900 for Step 5. But I've also seen it said that Step 5 is for < Elo 1900.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #21 - 02/06/17 at 14:11:21
Post Tools
It often seems to me that when passing from composed positions to positions from real games, for example in Blokh, that the real positions are somehow made with "reinforced concrete"--the pieces guard each other better, many possibilities are closed off, a kind of general prophylaxis chokes the board like smoke from the preceding battle, and even if there is a clean combination, there is a thick, tangled quality to the position. The student must cut through the "fog of war." This is the natural home of calculation.

One striking difference between the Steps and the Yusupov series is that the solutions in the Steps books are nearly all 3 moves or less,† all the way through† Step 4 (up to 1850 ELO/1950 USCF). This means that the ideas are presented in very pure form, which makes the books excellent for drilling the essence of new ideas; on the other hand, it also means that the positions are almost all composed, and that they do not require much calculation. In this respect the Steps feel a lot like CTS (chess.emrald.net) in that once you see the idea there is not that much reward for subjecting it to the suspicion appropriate to a real game. (Just in this one respect. Overall, the Steps are as far above CTS as a well-written book of progressing algebra exercises is above a bunch of random worksheets from the internet).

I have done scattered chapters of Yusupov (exactly as prescribed in the prefaces), but not systematically enough to contribute to the preceding discussion. But it became obvious that Yusupov's books are almost entirely taken from real games and feel like it. If there are composed positions, they are taken from problems or studies, which are even more "resistant" than real games. You never can get away from calculation--you do not know if there is a refutation of your idea, even in the tactical chapters.†

I think Yusupov and van Wijgerden complement each other quite well, not only done one in preparation for the other, but simultaneously.
« Last Edit: 02/06/17 at 17:34:14 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #20 - 02/06/17 at 14:10:56
Post Tools
For easier books on calculation (but still plenty tough for 1500), Heisman's Is Your Move Safe? and Khmelnitsky's excellent books, particularly the somewhat easier second and third ones, all contain problems where you're not sure if there is a combination or not. In general, defensive problems require calculation, because it is not enough to spot one threat--you have to convince yourself there are not others. Good sources of defensive problems (I feel like I'm recommending spinach) are the previously-mentioned Looking for Trouble, ChessOK's Simple Defense (pieces en prise) and Advanced Defense (preventing mates) programs, and Coakley's FIDE-1500-level "Chess Exercises for Kids." Somewhat more challenging ones are in dedicated chapters of Shumilin's Chess Tactics Training and Nikitin's Improve Your Chess Tactics.

Actually, reading master games as solitaire chess for one side, writing down what you see at length, and comparing it to the notes is a great way, maybe the best way, to practice calculation (Russians, Silman, Purdy, much later Stoyko). I made a file card with a notch in it for doing this, following a suggestion of Purdy--you cover up the part of the current line you haven't read and all the following lines with the card. Of course, to do this you have to have a high tolerance for being wrong, but--it is a powerful training tool.
« Last Edit: 02/06/17 at 17:36:12 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #19 - 02/06/17 at 02:06:15
Post Tools
To be honest, I haven't really looked at the Steps beyond steps 1, 2, 3 and parts of 4. I used them in a kids' chess club for a few years, but then quit that job to free up time for other things.

I see the point of starting at the beginning. I imagine some people would feel a bit foolish spending time on exercises that seem ridiculously easy to them, with the occasional hidden treasure in-between. Though that's what Aagaard keeps saying about the Yusupov series as well: Start at the beginning (and move quickly through everything that's really easy), since you never know where the holes in your chess education are.
« Last Edit: 02/06/17 at 12:46:04 by Stigma »  

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 02/06/17 at 01:40:41
Post Tools
Agree with Stigma about the chess steps. Close to agreement with Proustiskeen. My rating is a fair bit about Yusupov's first series and I started with Step 2 of the Step method. Cannot hurt.

RoleyPoley wrote on 02/05/17 at 20:51:14:
[quote author=193C3D32273B323D11530 link=1485522145/13#13 date=1486305219]

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #17 - 02/06/17 at 01:15:31
Post Tools
I honestly think that anyone doing the Steps should start with Step 1. Yes, it's very simple, but that's the point. You rebuild board sight from the ground up. A 1500 player hangs stuff, and that's something you learn to mostly mitigate in Steps 1 and 2.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 02/05/17 at 22:58:19
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 02/05/17 at 21:27:49:
I don't know if anyone has actually tested this, but the Steps Method looks perfect for plugging some holes before moving on to the Yusupov series. From 1500, go through steps 4 and 5 (maybe even step 3).

I am already doing this. But you don't mention Step 6, which is intended for independent study rather than class use and (therefore?) comes with a lot more exercises than the others. I wonder whether Step 5 would be sufficient preparation for Yusupov? I don't know because I'm still on Step 4.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #15 - 02/05/17 at 21:27:49
Post Tools
I don't know if anyone has actually tested this, but the Steps Method looks perfect for plugging some holes before moving on to the Yusupov series. From 1500, go through steps 4 and 5 (maybe even step 3).

There's also Silman's books, the endgame book starting at well below 1000 and the strategy book Reassess Your Chess meant for 1400+.

On calculation I'm never sure what to suggest - most of the books on it seem to be written for Experts and above. Maybe Heisman's Looking for Trouble or Beim's book.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 02/05/17 at 20:51:14
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 02/05/17 at 14:33:39:
Gerry1970 wrote on 02/01/17 at 23:21:40:
Jonathan, it took me many months to do a book. So your time is pretty amazing. But I don't have this energy I think to replicate what you have done.

Only possible negative? I am wondering is if you are allowing enough time for the material to sink in.

My rating is 1800+ elo and circa 1950 equivalent when you convert my ECF grade so Iím quite above the supposed target audience for the first books. That said, the elo range given is absurd. The books are much to hard for 1500s.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 02/05/17 at 14:33:39
Post Tools
chk wrote on 02/02/17 at 09:32:21:
I am going through this series without using a board (due to practical constraints) and from my experience:

- the tactics & endgame chapters could be properly done within a couple of hours each.
- the positional, strategy and opening chapters may take some more time, as in some cases you really need to play the games with a board in order to make the most of it.

Iíve heard this sort of thing before and itís pretty much my experience. I finished the Basic Pawn Endings chapter in 20 minutes in total. The chapter on Centralising Pieces, on the other hand, is pretty much taking me 20 mins for every test question.

Jonathan, it took me many months to do a book. So your time is pretty amazing. But I don't have this energy I think to replicate what you have done.

Only possible negative? I am wondering is if you are allowing enough time for the material to sink in.

My rating is 1800+ elo and circa 1950 equivalent when you convert my ECF grade so Iím quite above the supposed target audience for the first books. That said, the elo range given is absurd. The books are much too hard for 1500s.

Anwyay, Iíve picked up a fair amount of knowledge along the way - e.g. endgame theory and I recognised certain test positions (Morphy at the Opera crops us - and thereís a position fro the first Alekhine - Capablanca game for instance). What I lack, I think, is the skill to apply this knowledge.

I donít think Im rushing too much yet but Iíll certainly have to slow down later. What i do need is to work out how best to work with the books. I think Iím too fond of the tactics chapters. Its easy to feel youíre making progress by completing those.

« Last Edit: 02/06/17 at 13:02:58 by JonathanB »  

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #12 - 02/02/17 at 09:32:21
Post Tools
I am going through this series without using a board (due to practical constraints) and from my experience:

- the tactics & endgame chapters could be properly done within a couple of hours each.
- the positional, strategy and opening chapters may take some more time, as in some cases you really need to play the games with a board in order to make the most of it.

But I agree with Gerry that Yusupov's writing is condensed and to the point, so sometimes you need to think a bit for the material to sink in (like those old, wise Chinese books in a way).

Myself, halfway through book 2, taking many, many breaks lately. I think it took me about a month to finish the 1st, but was accustomed to the material covered (likewise with the 2nd).

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #11 - 02/02/17 at 02:22:26
Post Tools

Two hours per chapter sounds like plenty. I think that if you're spending enough time per chapter it doesn't matter how fast you go. I did a chapter or more a day when I was feeling very motivated.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 02/01/17 at 23:21:40
Post Tools

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/01/17 at 22:09:00
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 02/01/17 at 16:35:03:
Yes, I have done all 10 books. I had a 20-year break from chess and started in 2013 in a club again. It was very tough and extremely interesting to do all the exercises. My ELO (2121) is at it highest ever being 51 years old. The last two months have been really good chess-wise. I'm very dilligent with my chess but play too few games. Currently exercises from Chess Lessons are being solved. If you want more details, let me know† Smiley

Excellent. Bravo. Must have taken a while.

I started on 24th January.  Iím about a third of the way through book 1 now.  Total study time: 17 hours and 22 minutes to date (not including marking tests and whatnot*).

* "whatnot" meaning, the construction of spreadsheets so I know exactly how much time Iím taking and how far Iím getting.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/01/17 at 18:37:34
Post Tools
I am interested! Always. Also happy for your good performances. I am older than you and I like to root for us old folks!

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/01/17 at 16:35:03
Post Tools
Yes, I have done all 10 books. I had a 20-year break from chess and started in 2013 in a club again. It was very tough and extremely interesting to do all the exercises. My ELO (2121) is at it highest ever being 51 years old. The last two months have been really good chess-wise. I'm very dilligent with my chess but play too few games. Currently exercises from Chess Lessons are being solved. If you want more details, let me know  Smiley

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/29/17 at 14:25:12
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 01/29/17 at 12:49:59:
I havent started the books yet, but still intend on doing so. I just havent had the space at home to set up a desk with a chess board and space to write.

Hopefully i can resolve that in the next few months. If i do, then i think the only thing that will stop me from starting the books will be if i allow myself to be lured into buying the Step method books† Roll Eyes

Iím quite sure a lot of people have started the books. Finishing them is rather the point.

I think the steps books are rather different. Certainly the first several. They genuinely do start from complete beginner level upwards.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/29/17 at 12:49:59
Post Tools
I havent started the books yet, but still intend on doing so. I just havent had the space at home to set up a desk with a chess board and space to write.

Hopefully i can resolve that in the next few months. If i do, then i think the only thing that will stop me from starting the books will be if i allow myself to be lured into buying the Step method books  Roll Eyes

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/29/17 at 11:32:51
Post Tools
Gerry1970 wrote on 01/28/17 at 02:06:09:
I think I am second then having completed one book. Joking. I think Tony was working through them. I think Paul Brondal has finished a lot of them. It is tough going for me and I have done almost nothing in the last two months for various reasons.

If youíve done even one book you have my respect. Iím several hundred points above the alleged target playing strength and have been playing chess for 30 years - and it looks like itís going to take me a month of work to get through book 1.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/28/17 at 02:06:09
Post Tools
I think I am second then having completed one book. Joking. I think Tony was working through them. I think Paul Brondal has finished a lot of them. It is tough going for me and I have done almost nothing in the last two months for various reasons.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/27/17 at 16:21:53
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 01/27/17 at 14:11:49:
I've done the first five completely. Progress is stalled a bit in part because I decided to do the orange Revision and Exam before moving on to book 6, and in part because I haven't been doing much chess over the last year. My evidence, such as it is, is just in the form of a large table detailing my performance on every quiz.

dfan wrote on 01/27/17 at 14:11:49:
I've done the first five completely. Progress is stalled a bit in part because I decided to do the orange Revision and Exam before moving on to book 6, and in part because I haven't been doing much chess over the last year. My evidence, such as it is, is just in the form of a large table detailing my performance on every quiz.

Well that puts you in the lead so far, then. Excellent work.

I like tables of the kind you describe. Mine includes the time it took me to complete each chapter main text and each chapter test.† But Iíve only done a handful of chapters so itís not exactly meaningful as yet.

It may or may not be something I get to look back on in years to come.  TBH, as of now Iím just hoping I can make it to the end of book one before old age or Trump gets us all.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #1 - 01/27/17 at 14:11:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Yusupovís 9 Book Series
01/27/17 at 13:02:25
Post Tools
The one that starts here:-

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/2/16/build_up_your_chess_1_-_artur_yusupo...

Serious question:

Are there any documented cases of someone working their way through the lot. Fom page 1 of book 1 to the last page of book 9 (and, preferably, has evidence to prove it)?

The most Iíve heard of so far is 4.5 books.  Somebody must be able to top that.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo