Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Good books on the Reti opening (Read 3549 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: Good books on the Reti opening
Reply #5 - 03/21/17 at 13:16:58
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 03/20/17 at 19:56:49:
In both cases I myself begin with 1 Nf3 d5 2 g3 -- if you stick with the Reti perhaps you might find that move order useful?

I use the same move order - this allows the Reversed Grunfeld or KIA and early ...Bg4 lines, but I don't mind playing them and/or don't see them that much. I'd rather play this way than have to deal with the Reti Accepted or 2...d4.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #4 - 03/20/17 at 19:57:56
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/20/17 at 19:30:09:
2. Fianchetto solutions against KID/Grünfeld; I could imagine that the Lemos book is good.

Lemos puts the king's knight on e2 in some of the Grünfeld lines. But maybe you're avoiding the Grünfeld with 1.Nf3 anyway. His King's Indian Fianchetto stuff is still relevant, though obviously less deep than the coverage in i.e. Avrukh (for White) and Kotronias (for Black).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #3 - 03/20/17 at 19:56:49
Post Tools
Quote:
Then there is probably 1.Sf3 d5 2. c4 d4 for which I need a weapon ...

The question arises, are there any good weapons? Over the last year or two I've been feeling that much as I love the Reti, Black is looking pretty fine and the Catalan might offer White better practical chances of an advantage. In both cases I myself begin with 1 Nf3 d5 2 g3 -- if you stick with the Reti perhaps you might find that move order useful?

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/20/17 at 19:30:09
Post Tools
Thanks for the information. This looks like tons of theory. Maybe the following can be used:

1. Against QGD the neo-catalan as described in Marin.
2. Fianchetto solutions against KID/Grünfeld; I could imagine that the Lemos book is good.
3. Marin solutions against symmetrical/e4 in the second move.
4. Use Marin against the Slav.

Then there is probably 1.Sf3 d5 2. c4 d4 for which I need a weapon; perhaps Delchev.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/20/17 at 16:47:35
Post Tools
The best books on 1.Nf3 are "Opening for White according to Kramnik" by Khalifman.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Good books on the Reti opening
03/20/17 at 15:11:37
Post Tools
It seems to me that there aren't very many books on the Reti opening seen from white's perspective. Delchev has one but that only covers the anti-slav. I'm very fond of Marin's books on the English but 1. Sf3 avoids 1. -e5, and with 1. Sf3 you have have the possibility of transposing into the Sicilian after 1. -c5 with 2. e4. Using 1. Sf3 isn't so good with Marin's suggestions because he recommends the Botvinnik system with Sge2 against many setups. Of course, there are also down-sides with 1. Sf3 as you can answer it with -d5 but it would be nice with a good book on the Reti.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo