Latest Updates:
Normal Topic New angle in studying the Sicilian in a chess book (Read 2572 times)
ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Re: New angle in studying the Sicilian in a chess book
Reply #3 - 04/16/17 at 12:08:15
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 04/16/17 at 07:11:33:
Offhand it reminds me of books by IM Nikolay Minev (1931-2017) from the 1990s ("King's Indian Defense: Tactics, Ideas, Exercises" and "Sicilian Defense in the Last Decade: 250 Good and Bad Ideas").

Yes, you beat me to it. All puzzles, positions on the right-hand page, then turning the page over you see complete games, including the continuation at the critical position, on the left.
That book is really hard, though!

There was also a series by Nesis, Tactics in the xxxxx, with just normal annotated complete games. Not as good as the Minev, I think.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/16/17 at 11:10:42
Post Tools
I'm always surprised we dont see more of these kind of books. Must be easier to produce a series of quality themes/puzzles on a specific opening than write about the theory itself.

Would think for most players there is more value in this too.

I might pick up a copy it is available in the uk.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/16/17 at 07:11:33
Post Tools
Offhand it reminds me of books by IM Nikolay Minev (1931-2017) from the 1990s ("King's Indian Defense: Tactics, Ideas, Exercises" and "Sicilian Defense in the Last Decade: 250 Good and Bad Ideas").

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

New angle in studying the Sicilian in a chess book
04/16/17 at 05:46:49
Post Tools
On 2017-04-17, Bill Harvey self-published an interesting new chess book about the Sicilian Dragon defense, titled - "Sicilian Dragon: 536 characteristic chess puzzles".

It takes the novel approach of being a shot puzzle book of actual positions all taken from games that began with the Sicilian Dragon.

I have certainly seen chess books about this or that opening include exercise puzzles. But the degree to which Harvey expands this approach is rare, and it even might be unprecedented?

The puzzles nearer the beginning of the book seem to be taken from as early in their games as possible.
Puzzles later in the book are deeper into the middle game phase, but even there many times the shot move is in the move-pair range of early 20's.

With so many chess books being so similar to each other, I praise any good quality chess book which take a novel approach, have non-traditional contents, or which avoid well-trodden formats or content types.
Self-published chess books have a higher rate of such uniqueness and novelty.

I am surprised that Harvey has not made a ForwardChess.com version of this his latest chess book, nor of any of his several earlier checkmate puzzle books. His website has an embedded YouTube video about ForwardChess.com (scroll to near bottom of his webpage), and shot puzzle books are an ideal format for the dynamic chess ebook.  ForwardChess.com fully supports independent chess book authors / publishers.
Unlike Gambit's Chess Studio app for Android, ForwardChess.com books are written with ChessBase, which Harvey uses frequently. Gambit has its own proprietary format for Chess Studio dynamic chess ebooks.

https://www.amazon.com/Sicilian-Dragon-characteristic-chess-puzzles/dp/154523900...

htt ps:// www . amazon . com/Sicilian-Dragon-characteristic-chess-puzzles/dp/1545239002/

http://wtharvey.com/

. .

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo