Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Playing 1.d4 d5 A Classical Repertoire, Ntirlis (Read 63554 times)
wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Playing 1.d4 d5 A Classical Repertoire, Ntirlis
Reply #14 - 06/07/17 at 18:18:37
Post Tools
Hi Nikos,
in the past you were thinking about writing some new stuff about the Kings Indian Attack (1.Nf3 d5 2. g3 Nf6 3.Bg2 e6 and probably also about 1.c4 e6 2.e4 in your forthcoming book. How was your decision? Pointing to your former book about the French or including it in your new book?
Looking forward to your book!
P.S. Is there a chance to get knowing when the book is about to appear?

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #13 - 04/21/17 at 18:17:29
Post Tools
I totally agree. I have Nikos's book on the French and I think it is the best repertoire book I own. And I play only his Nd2 rep choice. The book is both inspirational and instructive.

I play the nimzo as Black and QG vs 3.Nf3 (both Ragozin and QGD) so I am expecting he would give us a new a good weapon (again). Very important is a good system in the London/Jobava attack/Colle for practical reasons (everybody plays this way nowadays).

Thx

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #12 - 04/21/17 at 17:51:05
Post Tools
Also, I'd like to point out that it's too much to expect (as readers) to like all of the variations chosen in a repertoire book.  I'm happy if a book has interesting ideas that stimulate me generally, and if I can use at least 25% or so of the recommended lines.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 04/20/17 at 12:32:01
Post Tools
While I intuitively prefer the Tartakower to classical Nbd7 variations my loyalty is far from absolute. I already have the books of Sadler and Cox, which are sufficient if White is willing to do some work him/herself. So for me neglecting the Tartakower is a plus. At the other hand I'm skeptical of those ...Nbd7 variations, but given the quality of the Tarrasch book I'm willing to change. Indeed this

"a more "risky"/play-for-the-win alternative"
probably will be decisive, as your Tarrasch book was somewhat lacking in this respect imo. Not that I blame you for it - it just made me decide not to play this opening, which of course totally is my own responsibility.
Researching ...b6 against 5.Bf4 may be a very good reason to buy your new book though. There are some very interesting, very sharp and very promising gambit lines for Black.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #10 - 04/20/17 at 03:34:00
Post Tools
Thanks for the response, I'm really looking forward to your book!

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #9 - 04/18/17 at 19:37:04
Post Tools
Hello,

First of all, i recommend a more "risky"/play-for-the-win alternative in the Bg5 lines with h6-Nbd7 and ...c5, with ...c6 and ...a6 as has been played by Aronian. The main line of this system, according to my analysis, seems to be a very unclear position with chances for both sides.  Although, in my experience, the solid ...c5 plan at club level suffices to play for the win as well. I have inserted in the relevant chapter some of my own games at club level play where i obtained slightly better and safe positions after the opening. Also, it is absolutely stunning hiw Kramnik is playing this line for the win, and these instructive examples from his own praxis are also analysed in this chapter.

There will also be chapters for all the sidelines and a chapter against London/Colle/Torre based on the way the great Taimanov used to meet these systems. A system that has become fashionable lately. There is plenty of new analysis there. The idea is to reduce the number of "exact theory" and try to reach some typical positions.

Also, there is going to be plenty of material on typical IQP, Haning Pawns, Rubinstein-stryctyre, 2QPI- structure and plenty of "general instruction" material complementing the material.

For a small taste about the hanging pawns, you can see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6ZReM4u1g

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 04/18/17 at 18:45:26
Post Tools
In an opening like this (the ...Nbd7 QGD), since there isn't a ton of theory it would be nice to have another option covered as well--Lasker's Defense, Tartakower's, etc.  But considering that the Catalan is also covered, I understand that there might not be much space. 

But in general I think that playing an opening like the QGD is best seen as playing a family of openings, and it's nice to be able to mix and match subvariations to taste.  Of course I don't know what lines are being covered, but 1.c4 e6 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 d5 4.d4 Be7 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bh4 0-0 7.Rc1 Nbd7 8.e3 c5 9.cxd5 Nxd5 10.Bxe7 Nxe7 11.Be2 b6 12.dxc5 Nxc5 13.b4 Qxd1+ 14.Rxd1 Nd7 as in one recent Kramnik game is not the most exciting stuff!

But I'm looking forward to seeing it.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/17 at 18:10:44
Post Tools
One might think there isn't much room for risky play in that line 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Bg5 Be7 5. e3 h6 6. Bh4 Nbd7 7. Rc1 O-O 8. Nf3 c5 (by whatever move order) ...

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 04/18/17 at 16:15:32
Post Tools
Hi Nikos,

I am playing the KID/Modern/Pirc and have good results but people are preparing for my KID although they are a 1.e4 player. So I am thinking about a solid backup repertoire based on the NID. Against 1.Nf3 I would play 1…d5 and against the move order 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 I would play 3…d5 so I cannot get move-ordered. So the big question for me is if you cover 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Sf3 and give some explanation what are the pros/cons of 3.Nc3/3.Nf3, because I have no idea about 1.d4 d5. Another question is if the lines are solid but dry or if they are a little bit more risky but with chances to outplay an opponent.

Thanks for answering all the questions we have.

IP Logged

Novadruid
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 04/18/17 at 15:26:56
Post Tools
Disappointed Nikos has gone for the 'fashionable' ...Nbd7 line vs. the Old Bg5 Mainline. I thought the Tartakower would have been a dead certainty, given: I recall you mentioning that you attended group coaching sessions with Geller, who was a great practitioner of the Tartakower.

I'll probably still buy it, to see recommendations vs. the other lines, however, my loyalty to the Tartakower is absolute.

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/18/17 at 13:14:34
Post Tools
Ok. As I understand it is as following: 1.d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. Nf3 Nbd7 or 4. Nf3 Be7 5. Bf4  0-0 6. e3 b6. Right?

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/18/17 at 13:04:21
Post Tools
Thank you very much for the feedback. So no Tartakower Variation vs. the Bg5 Queen's Gambit Declined and what is exactly the Nbd7 with c5 in mind variation? And, are you covering all the non-Queen's Gambit options for White, too? I mean London, Colle, Blackmar Diemer, 1.d4 d5 2.Bg5 etc.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #2 - 04/18/17 at 09:30:17
Post Tools
Hello. Thanks for the interest.

In short, I advocate the h6+ Nh5 in the exchange, the h6 + Nbd7 with ...c5 in mind in the Bg5 lines and ...b6 lines against Bf4. I offer dxc4 + a6 as my Anti Catalan weapon and I give solutions against Reti and Anti Catalan move orders.

These lines are not new or "secret". My model players are mainly Kramnik followed by Aronian and Carlsen.

These lines have been tested recently by people I have seconded and the last couple of months only the files have been enriched greatly by their feedback and experience. In that respect, this is clearly the less "personal" book I have authored. A lot of people (most of them GMs) have contributed really a lot. And most probably they ll offer more small details here and there before the book is finalized.

I understand that people want the book out as quickly as possible but QC has high editing standards and this process takes a while to complete. My experience so far has thought me that the presentation of the material, the language and the selection of what stays in and what is thrown out, is at least as important with the actual chess analysis. In that respect, I considered the editor of Playing 1.e5 e5 essentially a co-author, although he was very humble to admit it.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/17/17 at 13:07:31
Post Tools
I dont think Nikos has confirmed which lines he is planning. He did hint at them in the QC blog by naming players that had been playing them and a couple of readers thought they knew variation but i cant recall what it was.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Playing 1.d4 d5 A Classical Repertoire, Ntirlis
04/17/17 at 11:33:14
Post Tools
I am happy to see this forthcoming book in Quality Chess Publishing Schedule, considering that the 1.e4 e5 book by same author was so good IMHO. Anyone has perhaps a bit more info on what defenses are going to be suggested in the repertoire for Black?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo