Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Playing 1.d4 d5 A Classical Repertoire, Ntirlis (Read 63349 times)
Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Re: Playing 1.d4 d5 A Classical Repertoire, Ntirlis
Reply #104 - 12/06/18 at 13:09:19
Post Tools
In my second example I accept it loses a pawn and the third you are right, Ntirlis does give Qe7. I have mixed up the lines.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #103 - 12/06/18 at 12:52:16
Post Tools
Hi Konstriktor,
   Many thanks for the time taken in your replies ! In the first diagram I thought I could understand your logic. However, in the last diagram is there a large difference when Nd4 has been played ? Can't Nc5 / e6 be played to contest d4 ?

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #102 - 11/29/18 at 17:25:06
Post Tools
I misquoted Colovic.
He was talking about a slightly different position, it is the following

I still think in the last diagram either Nxe7 or Qxe7 are both equal in strength, but Qxe7 just fits in the thematic repertoire of Ntirlis.

I think the Colovic "book" on Chessable.com is a nice addition to the Ntirlis book, because he gives other ways/lines to play the positions which gives you a broader approach to the whole opening.

Ntirlis is definitely more thematic and therefore much easier to follow, implement and actually remember!
But for variation you can try Colovic suggestions.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #101 - 11/29/18 at 17:00:06
Post Tools
Incidentally that last one is also comparable to a main line from way back, without ...h6 and Bh4 -- 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. e3 0-0 6. Nf3 Nbd7 7. Qc2 c5 (you might see this given as "!" in old books) 8. cd Nxd5 9. Bxe7 Qxe7 10. Nxd5 ed 11. Bd3 g6 12. dc Nxc5.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #100 - 11/29/18 at 13:53:37
Post Tools
I got the book last week. I worked through the Bg5 chapter yesterday. Looks like a great read so far and a nice solid well thought out repertoire!

As for why Ntirlis chose Nxe7 or Qxe7 in certain variations I would not know for sure either.

Here are my thoughts on your four variations. I hope it makes sense, it at least helped me to understand the variations more!

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #99 - 11/24/18 at 14:31:47
Post Tools

Hi Monocle, thanks for the reply. I can see your point but in most cases it doesn't explain it. I've given three examples of Ne7 and just one of the more common Qe7.  I've tried checking myself with using the computer and it even prefers the alternate recapture in some instances.
In the first example answering cd with cd seems to be unque, rather than Nd5 in all other cases. I just don't see it. I'll hope to learn by experience !

IP Logged

h4rl3k1n
YaBB Newbies

FM

Reply #98 - 11/18/18 at 21:54:00
Post Tools
Laramonet wrote on 11/15/18 at 19:37:55:
Is anyone working with this repertoire ? I got surprised by a pairing recently and coped with remembered ideas in the QGD Exchange very well, having the better of a comfortable draw.
I'm really keen to know if anyone is playing the Kramnik Orthodox QGD line Ntirlis recommends i.e. 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Be7 5.e3 Nbd7 6.Nf3 h6 7.Bh4 0-0 8.Qc2 / Rc1 / Bd3 c5 ? I'm trying to get my bearings with little opportunity recently to face 1.d4. One issue is why is Be7 Qe7 recommended in most lines and then Be7 Ne7 in others ? And secondly, why answer 8.Bd3 c5 9.cd with cd, when all other lines contain cd Nd5 ? I'm still analysing trying to figure these out. i have also looked at all Black wins I can find in databases with little success as mostly Be7 is answered with Qe7, and cd with Nd5, not cd ! Any comments would be much appreciated.
It would also be good to hear from anyone who has the Korneev or Pavlovic books to compare the coverage on this main line.

I added this book to my study material a couple of months ago and I am comfortable playing the QGD as black, following the book as closely as my memory allows. I have been playing the exchange variation as white for years and now I get a healthy score with the black pieces there too. I like grinding the endgame in the Kramnik Orthodox QGD line. Still, I never did a thorough analysis on this book, so I can't say I am actually working with it.

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #97 - 11/15/18 at 22:05:11
Post Tools
Laramonet wrote on 11/15/18 at 19:37:55:
One issue is why is Be7 Qe7 recommended in most lines and then Be7 Ne7 in others ?

I haven't seen the book yet (it's on my wish list), but I thought you only play Nxe7 in lines where a pawn on d5 would otherwise be hanging at the end.

e.g. 8.Rc1 c5 9.cxd5 Nxd5 10.Bxe7 Qxe7 11.Nxd5 exd5 12.dxc5 Nxc5 loses the d5 pawn.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #96 - 11/15/18 at 19:37:55
Post Tools
Trying the same question from another thread on this same book :

Is anyone working with this repertoire ? I got surprised by a pairing recently and coped with remembered ideas in the QGD Exchange very well, having the better of a comfortable draw.
I'm really keen to know if anyone is playing the Kramnik Orthodox QGD line Ntirlis recommends i.e. 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Be7 5.e3 Nbd7 6.Nf3 h6 7.Bh4 0-0 8.Qc2 / Rc1 / Bd3 c5 ? I'm trying to get my bearings with little opportunity recently to face 1.d4. One issue is why is Be7 Qe7 recommended in most lines and then Be7 Ne7 in others ? And secondly, why answer 8.Bd3 c5 9.cd with cd, when all other lines contain cd Nd5 ? I'm still analysing trying to figure these out. i have also looked at all Black wins I can find in databases with little success as mostly Be7 is answered with Qe7, and cd with Nd5, not cd ! Any comments would be much appreciated.
It would also be good to hear from anyone who has the Korneev or Pavlovic books to compare the coverage on this main line.

IP Logged

Karpfenkopf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #95 - 02/09/18 at 19:19:00
Post Tools
Playing the lines today i found that after 1.d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. Nf3 Nbd7 6. e3 h6 7. Bh4 0-0 the move 8. Be2 is not covered. After 8. Bd3, 8. Qc2 and 8.Rc1 there always comes 8...c5!; so it should be okay against 8. Be2 as well. The highest rated game, Ding - So, Saint Louis 2016, went 8... dxc4. But that transposes to the line 8. Bd3 dxc4 which is analyzed but not recommended. The two next highest rated players played 8... c5, which should be our repertoire move. In my blitz game i played it without much thought.

IP Logged

Karpfenkopf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #94 - 01/25/18 at 07:09:19
Post Tools
I also got my copy some months ago and have "playing the french" in my bookshelf. Both books together look like a great cornerstone to build up a serious repertoire against 1. d4, 1. e4, 1. c4 and 1. Nf3. The introduction texts are also a very good feature. The quality of the texts is comperable to Matthew Sadlers outdated book on the same topic.

I like the system against the catalan much better than the stuff in John Cox book based on the Kramnik - Topalov stuff from the 2006 WCC.

I also like the system against the london. Some time ago i learned the system from John Cox "dealing with d4 deviations". That system with early Bf5 is good, but you get some move order issues or have to learn slav setups too. In my test games with the "new" stuff  i get good positions with that simple system (d5, Nf6, e6, Bd6, c5, 0-0, b6 followed by Ba6).

I'm not sure if any other queen's gambit book author gave attention to systems like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e3. That is also included.

In "Playing 1. d4 d5" there are some pages for the coverage of the blackmar-diemer-gambit. For starters i will play 1. d4 d5 2. e4 e6. Maybe i will come back to more ambitious lines against that move order later. To add one more sideline i don't find: I also don't find anything against the diemer-duhm-gambit (1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. e4) in both books.  Cheesy

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #93 - 01/08/18 at 23:58:46
Post Tools
I have to say that the e-book version is a bit messy and hard to navigate. That is more critique against the Forward chess-app than the book in itself. Anyway, what I mean by saying this is that I am not sure if a line is covered in it or not.

In particular, I am looking for a line in the Exchange variation where White does not play 7. Bd3. The only thing I find on this is a short note saying that "7. Qc2 Nbd7 hardly changes anything, as White will surely put his bishop on d3 at some point.". However, what about the games Kasimdzhanov-Hertneck, 2001, or the games played by Van Wely against Filippov in 2004? The idea is that White can e.g. Ne5 and drop the knight back to d3 in case of ...g6 and ...Bf5. In these 3 games, Black played 11...g6, but got into some trouble.

Is the game Anand-Kramnik, Zurich 2015 something to follow in this case perhaps?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #92 - 12/30/17 at 16:37:18
Post Tools
Wow Flig, that was brutal.  I can't imagine that 5.g4?! is particularly good, but it is the sort of move that I think should be covered (even if in half a page) in a repertoire book.  I can't imagine that it's worse than the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit for instance, and it was recommended in a book for the White side (if recommended is the right word).  It's the sort of thing that you might encounter in a club match if your opponent wants to spring a sharp surprise weapon on you.

Still no book can cover absolutely everything, and Ntirlis did an admirable job of packing a ton of information into ~325 pages. 

Speaking of the Blackmar-Diemer, I've never played the Euwe Defense before as I've always thought that's basically what White wants to see when he plays the opening.  However after just casually perusing and reading Ntirlis' coverage without a board, I decided to play the Euwe Defense in an online blitz game against a FM, which I won very easily.  Perhaps I've underestimated it, and I'll take a closer look.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #91 - 12/30/17 at 09:53:18
Post Tools
The line 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 Be7 5.g4 is certainly worth a mention. It probably flew under the radar of the author because it has been played only rarely and the game Mamedyarov - Ponomariov (the last high-level encounter in this line) is from 2010. Maybe the big guys know that it is not very good and therefore it has not been repeated on this level.

Apart from Ponomariov´s decent choice of 5...0-0 6.g5 Ne4 Black has a bunch of good-looking options:

a) 5...c5 would be my first thought.
b) 5...h6 and
c) 5...dxc4 certainly make a lot of sense.
d) even 5...Bb4!?, transposing to a Ragozin set-up where White has been given the move g2-g4 for free, isn´t ridiculous I think.

The last time a GM tried this he was beaten by a much lower-rated player in crushing style, which is not a good advertisement for 5.g4?!:

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #90 - 12/29/17 at 19:42:20
Post Tools
Oh you're right Rene; I don't know how I missed that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo