Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is this forum dying? (Read 86918 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Is this forum dying?
Reply #116 - 07/15/17 at 05:51:20
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 07/14/17 at 15:35:49:
ErictheRed wrote on 07/13/17 at 23:58:39:
  .... why start a thread when you think that people will only reply with their engine's output?

The crux of the matter.

Which is unfortunate, because to me, improvement at chess and winning games by "thinking like a human" has never been easier.  It seems that so many people are slaves to their engines and forget that chess is a game of ideas, where each side sets problems for the other to solve.  The successful player poses difficult problems for his opponent while successfully solving those that his opponent sets for him, regardless of whether an engine says +0.45 or -0.06 or whatever in a given opening position.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #115 - 07/14/17 at 15:35:49
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 07/13/17 at 23:58:39:
  .... why start a thread when you think that people will only reply with their engine's output?

The crux of the matter.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #114 - 07/13/17 at 23:58:39
Post Tools
I've been a little frustrated at times in the past with the correspondence-heavy, "pure theory" stuff sometimes.  Moves, ideas, and plans that I would consider very interesting in a practical game don't always catch on here. 

On the other hand, it's good to have some sobering analysis and avoid the completely junk ideas that I see in some other, more busy forums.  We have to find a balance, but there's no real reason that people can't discuss interesting ideas even if the more analytical types here cast doubt on them.  I think that the problem (if there is one) is more that people just turn on their engines these days, as mentioned already.  Why discuss when you can just see what Stockfish says?  And why start a thread when you think that people will only reply with their engine's output?

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #113 - 07/13/17 at 23:16:04
Post Tools
One thing that deters many of the people I know from this forum is the heavy emphasis on the 'pure theory'. I mean, of course, theoretical disputes are essential and interesting, but many players are not correspondance players or GMs and are rebutted to read pages of lines of 40 moves depths. Strategical discussions about not only lines and TN but interesting positions, manoeuvers, exchanges, related endgames, etc.  all are important. Unfortunately, most of the time here, these last topics do not find many contributors.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #112 - 07/13/17 at 21:19:39
Post Tools
Leave opening up registration to Tony IMO, but yes new blood is needed.

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #111 - 07/09/17 at 12:27:11
Post Tools
Mate-in-1 captcha! Wow, yeah let's add that.

If we're lucky, lichess will have an api we could use, otherwise we need to get their playable chessboards working (on the forum) in order to have such a captcha.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #110 - 07/09/17 at 04:57:24
Post Tools
I think opening up the registration is a great idea. Not sure how easy the integration would be, but lichess.org uses a checkmate-in-one captcha on on all their forum posts and their registration. It's completely open source as well, so grabbing that little bit of code might be worth the time investment if it's technically feasible.  Grin

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #109 - 07/08/17 at 18:56:43
Post Tools
No problems on mobile for me, either (HTC Android). 

I'm on holiday and not around much at the moment, but I'm glad that this discussion seems to have sparked some productive changes and that Jesse's back on board!

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #108 - 07/08/17 at 18:19:15
Post Tools
I have zero problems entering with my 5.5inch phone. I read and write comfortably.

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #107 - 07/08/17 at 14:05:45
Post Tools
I haven't been on this forum in 6 months. It looks like a different forum, the categories are out of place, and there is much more visual clutter. I feel like I'm returning to the position of an adjourned game, and the pieces have been moved?!

Key elements of the forum software are broken: search, login. When I tried searching for my name 'Jesse', the YaBB search found nothing. When I tried logging in my username and password weren't recognized, and couldn't recover my password. I had to write Tony, asking him to manually reinstate me?!

My joining this forum, and leaving this forum, coincided with my participation in OTB tournament chess. I returned today at Tony's request for technical help.

We should re-open the registration process, adding a 'captcha' to thwart spam bots. Trolls will register, so a mechanism is needed to identify them and lock their accounts.

The YaBB search feature could be replaced with something more capable. Solr is my first thought, perhaps there is a Solr->YaBB integration.

A question for people who browse this forum with their mobile phone - is it easy to read this forum from you mobile phone?

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #106 - 07/07/17 at 22:27:44
Post Tools
If the Generals are in right order (still feel uncomfortable) then I think the last general should change pleces with Other.
Other belongs to the analysis part but the last General is about the forum itself. Either first or last IMHO. Undecided

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #105 - 07/07/17 at 22:21:42
Post Tools
Is it only me that is confused with the new sorting? Feel like General and General should change places. Only because I am not used to it yet??

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #104 - 07/07/17 at 14:19:44
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/07/17 at 09:30:38:
I've also replaced the standard search with a custom Google one - the results look much better, but you have to skip past the annoying adverts! Roll Eyes
I'm afraid it has messed up the CSS a bit at the top of the page, I will try to get this fixed ASAP.
P.S. If anyone knows how to improve the search or the CSS please let me know! Smiley

Excellent! I dont see any adverts when I search.

The css I cant help you with Im afraid

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #103 - 07/07/17 at 09:35:30
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 07/01/17 at 17:41:37:
I'm getting tired of this whole discussion.  The forum is what we, the members, make it.  People aren't creating

There's one little snag. When I noticed that this forum slowed down I tried exactly this.
And got exactly zero response.
Perhaps you were too tired?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #102 - 07/07/17 at 09:30:38
Post Tools
I've also replaced the standard search with a custom Google one - the results look much better, but you have to skip past the annoying adverts! Roll Eyes
I'm afraid it has messed up the CSS a bit at the top of the page, I will try to get this fixed ASAP.
P.S. If anyone knows how to improve the search or the CSS please let me know! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo