Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is this forum dying? (Read 890 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: Is this forum dying?
Reply #17 - 05/18/17 at 01:22:39
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 05/17/17 at 18:38:58:
TonyRo wrote on 05/12/17 at 13:43:55:
I have been thinking and saying the same for a while now. ChessPub used to be a place of very frequent and deep discussions, and now it seems to be mostly inactive. How do we rejuvenate this great place!?  Cry

Write another book  Wink

Agreed, splendid idea. You take requests...?

IP Logged

RoleyPoley

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 05/17/17 at 18:38:58
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 05/12/17 at 13:43:55:
I have been thinking and saying the same for a while now. ChessPub used to be a place of very frequent and deep discussions, and now it seems to be mostly inactive. How do we rejuvenate this great place!?  Cry

Write another book  Wink

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #15 - 05/16/17 at 23:46:27
Post Tools
Not just Markovich, though.  I think that we had a lot of great contributors early on who for a variety of reasons can't contribute as much now (jobs, marriage, children--just life stuff that happens).  The unfortunate thing is that we didn't replenish the supply of great contributors, for whatever reasons.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #14 - 05/16/17 at 22:20:07
Post Tools
Also, as stated above, user Markovich was such a driving force.

Whatever his faults and positives, there was a sincerity and energy to his posting that is really missed. 

Not to take anything away from any other prolific and fantastic users that may have come and gone or reside here still and are active as they can be, and made the place what it is, but that one user really put consistent energy into shaping and keeping this place moving forwards in ways no one else did.

Irreplaceable.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #13 - 05/16/17 at 22:12:31
Post Tools

Internet forums that thrive and gets lots of use are those that become platforms for social discourse among the users. 

The main and central them that brings people together under one roof usually becomes less and less the focus as the forum grows and becomes more active.  The social aspect of the 'community' tales over and that becomes the new main reason people participate regularly.

Here on ChessPub that model does not hold because people here are not looking for social interaction.  Thus, the usual methods of keeping forums alive (allowing trolls and flame wars and letting people slug it out in big complicated and sprawling threads which drive up user count, hit count, page views and advertising revenue, etc ) are eschewed.

In addition, and more specific to the uniqueness of this site, the advent of powerful engines owned by everyone renders every thread moot once someone posts the BEST LINE BY SILICON and there is really nothing more to discuss there, is there?

Why have discussion on the nuances of the Riga if the engine says White wins on move 57 if they follow this exact sequence?  I mean, what is there to talk about anymore?

OTOH, the main strength of the site, I really feel, has always been the HIGH LEVEL ANALYSIS in the individual sections.  So, while the forums may be hobbled and seemingly living on life support, I think they will continue to live slowly so long as great contributions are being made in the paid-for content is being delivered in timely fashion.

The site and the forums are still an excellent resource, so I continue to support fully with sub to all sections.  I appreciate all the contributions and by all the very strong players over the years and kudos to GM Kosten for running the whole thing asI imagine must be a labor of love and be full of headaches beyond our vision. 

This is really a unique and fantastic place and I hope it continues even if it is slower than it might be. 

Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #12 - 05/16/17 at 16:58:40
Post Tools
I would love to see and participate in deeper theoretical discussions again, but I've just been too busy lately. I was a lot more active a few years ago.

Even back then I felt reading and posting here took time away from settling on and really learning a repertoire from a wider variety of sources. If I find more time to post here again, I will study up on my openings in more depth first, to have a foundation to build from and avoid being sucked into analyzing random lines I'm not going to play anyway.

But I must admit I miss our epic discussions of the Pirc/Modern, the French, the Smith-Morra, the Budapest, the Dutch, the Alekhine, etc. etc. I still search the CP forum to (re-)discover ideas now and then.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #11 - 05/15/17 at 20:05:23
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/15/17 at 13:14:05:
I just think that earlier the forum had people who were unusually, even bizarrely, active. Notably mnb and Markovich (RIP the latter). I see the earlier activity levels being more outlying really.

There is some truth in this.  We also benefitted from a number of up-and-coming authors who would discuss the lines in their books.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 05/15/17 at 20:00:53
Post Tools
Instead of cursing the darkness, how about lighting a candle?  You want more high-level analysis, then post some.  And when someone else posts some, then engage and discuss.   

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 05/15/17 at 17:02:51
Post Tools
I've asked a lot of question, both good and bad, and also tried to answer many posts. But I think the tone also changed a while ago in some posts, and I got tired of that.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 05/15/17 at 13:14:05
Post Tools
I just think that earlier the forum had people who were unusually, even bizarrely, active. Notably mnb and Markovich (RIP the latter). I see the earlier activity levels being more outlying really.

But yes, agree with the earlier comments re: frustration with certain ardent time-wasters asking for line x in book y, ad nauseum. I'm convinced that this annoyed many and decreased value of the whole site. I saw that in some parts as deliberate ar*****e trolling rather than novice questioning, which would always be dealt with patiently and helpfully.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #7 - 05/13/17 at 17:00:38
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 05/13/17 at 15:44:35:
I know I haven't been able to participate as much as I have in the past, and it seems that several of the other members who have been here for years aren't posting as much either.

Still, there were quite a few votes for the book of the year, which is probably a good measure of how many people visit the site regularly.

Smyslov_Fan wrote on 05/13/17 at 15:46:03:
We had 130 votes for the book of the year contest.

Not really as this year it was the first time that guests could vote see
LeeRoth wrote on 04/17/17 at 21:47:18:
I left the poll open.  I thought having guests vote might bring in more votes and make the poll more meaningful.  The members didn't seem as interested as they usually are, and, given that hardly anyone noticed when the thread was accidentally deleted, I was concerned that a members-only poll might not garner enough votes.

I don't know that anything "dark" happened, but it is nevertheless disturbing that most of Nikos's votes came in on the 14th, after he posted his Facebook message.  The poll is supposed to be about the best book; its not supposed to be a popularity contest to see which author has the most friends.  If that is what has happened, then it was a mistake to let the guests vote.      

Tony, you are the boss.  If you want to back out the guest votes, it's your prerogative.      

In the end there was quite a bit of annoyance by how suddenly a huge number of guests voted for 1 person.

No as I wrote on my blog, you need to look at the number of posts. We have an average of +33/ day over 15 years (excluding spams and other removed posts). We now have regularly days without any posts. Making it easier again to become member maybe will help but I very much doubt it. On my blog I have a direct link to chesspub but I don't know if anybody ever clicked on it. Advertising chesspub looks not so simple.

Honestly I started to look for alternatives. However who can challenge this forum? The forum at chess.com is a complete mess.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 05/13/17 at 15:46:03
Post Tools
We had 130 votes for the book of the year contest.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #5 - 05/13/17 at 15:44:35
Post Tools
I know I haven't been able to participate as much as I have in the past, and it seems that several of the other members who have been here for years aren't posting as much either.

Still, there were quite a few votes for the book of the year, which is probably a good measure of how many people visit the site regularly.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 05/13/17 at 11:29:47
Post Tools
I wonder if it is due in some part to the fact that I have made it more difficult to join (now anyone wishing to join has to say why, and if I'm not convinced I refuse them) to keep spammers away?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 05/12/17 at 20:00:22
Post Tools
Some of the really great, active contributors from years past are no longer active or no longer with us (BPaulsen, Markovic).  Computers play a role, too. 

Me personally, various things have taken up all of my free time, including a big project that is finally complete and that will likely be announced here very soon... Wink.  So I may have more time to comment. 

I personally became less interested when we seemed to get a slew of weaker players, frankly.  Three to five years ago we seemed to get a lot of posters asking very basic questions (which weren't interesting to me), and asking asinine questions like "What does author X recommend in subvariation 6bqpd2.4 of author Y's recommendation in book ____?"  I became weary of that. 

In essence, I actually thought that the content of posts was becoming poorer in general. 

I also think that computers are stopping good discussion; there should be plenty of room for !? moves, moves that are interesting and pose unique problems or new approaches in known positions, but it seems to me that discussion of interesting ideas has lessened, partly because of an influx of weaker players and partly because people just turn on their engines and don't really investigate the ideas for themselves to try to understand and improve upon them in a human way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo