Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is this forum dying? (Read 87246 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Is this forum dying?
Reply #71 - 06/23/17 at 08:51:01
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/23/17 at 04:07:57:
I'll be honest: that button is so small and down at the bottom of the page, that until this thread was started, I'd never even noticed it!  I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Actually I have the link http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?action=recenttopics;display=10 in my browser startup so that the first thing I see in the morning is the 10 latest posts. Smiley

ErictheRed wrote on 06/23/17 at 04:07:57:
I always just scan the left column with my eye quickly, seeing which sub-forum has a blue circle indicating new posts.  Then I'll open that sub-forum; it's a bummer when the new posts are then further buried in sub-sub-fora.

But there are blue circles for the sub-sections too, so that I know if there is a new post in an opening that interests me (say, the Najdorf) or that doesn't interest me (the Scheveningen).
I can see that this seems to be very much a question of taste, it's a pity we can't have both Forum systems at the same time! Roll Eyes

ErictheRed wrote on 06/22/17 at 17:07:06:
Also, and this may be a touchy subject, but I truly wish that users were banned for personal attacks and/or "trolling."

If this occurs then you can simply PM me and I will ban them for a period if necessary.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #70 - 06/23/17 at 04:07:57
Post Tools
Quote:
...I use the feature on the main page - "View the [X] most recent posts on the forum."

I'll be honest: that button is so small and down at the bottom of the page, that until this thread was started, I'd never even noticed it!  I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

I always just scan the left column with my eye quickly, seeing which sub-forum has a blue circle indicating new posts.  Then I'll open that sub-forum; it's a bummer when the new posts are then further buried in sub-sub-fora.

And personally, I like opening the Open Sicilian forum and thinking to myself, "What's going on in the Open Sicilian today?" or "What are people talking about in the King's Indian?".  I liked in the old days when I could see all of the threads with new posts right there, all at once on one page, and not have to dig down further.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #69 - 06/22/17 at 20:42:56
Post Tools
About the sub-forums: I find them convenient when I want to review the older posts, because I can stick to whatever opening I am researching. When I want to view the latest activity, I use the feature on the main page - "View the [X] most recent posts on the forum."

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #68 - 06/22/17 at 17:07:06
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/21/17 at 23:11:07:
ErictheRed wrote on 06/21/17 at 16:31:42:
With all of the sub-forums I feel like I have to click a lot more than I used to

Interesting, but why? If I see something new in an opening that interests me I click straight on the post or the sub forum. Before I would have to click on the whole section to see if the new posts interest me or not.

I guess because in the "old" days, there were usually not any new posts in more than a handful of threads.  So when you opened "Open Sicilians," you would see the top three threads with new posts in them all right there.  Then I could choose to open one if I wanted to.

Now when I click on "Open Sicilians," I possibly see some threads with new posts, but there all of these sub-forums.  I only see a description of the Last Post off to the right; maybe that particular thread doesn't interest me, but what if there's a new post in a thread that does, that wasn't the last post?  I have to click in that sub-forum to see. 

Unless I'm doing something poorly and there's an easier way.  Still, even when this place was at its busiest, you could take a few days off from visiting and there was no way that there would be an entire page's worth of new posts.  You could always just open a single sub-forum and scan which threads have new posts at a single glance.  Now I have to dig into each sub-forum. 

Frankly, I strongly dislike the sub-forums, though I do love this place!

Also, and this may be a touchy subject, but I truly wish that users were banned for personal attacks and/or "trolling."  Forget all of the Smyslov_Fan nice guy attitude--he does a great job and genuinely seems like a nice guy, don't get me wrong!  But there are some really unpleasant posters that have come around in the last few years, and giving them a temporary ban for personal attacks (and a permanent ban if they continue) would really make this place friendlier again.  IMO, of course.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #67 - 06/21/17 at 23:11:07
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/21/17 at 16:31:42:
With all of the sub-forums I feel like I have to click a lot more than I used to

Interesting, but why? If I see something new in an opening that interests me I click straight on the post or the sub forum. Before I would have to click on the whole section to see if the new posts interest me or not.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #66 - 06/21/17 at 16:31:42
Post Tools
With all of the sub-forums I feel like I have to click a lot more than I used to, FWIW.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #65 - 06/21/17 at 08:11:21
Post Tools
Gorath wrote on 06/20/17 at 18:37:37:
And BTW, why are the ChessPub General forums at the top? I would get them out of the way. The important stuff should be at the top.

That's a good point, maybe I can move them around - put General Chess at the top, I suppose?

P.S. I've just had a look and it seems that it is easy to move all the boards around.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #64 - 06/21/17 at 08:10:02
Post Tools
Nobody can guarantee closing the sub-forums would increase traffic. The positive effects would be less strict structure, less mouse clicks to get to the active threads and getting rid of a lot of proof(!) that most sub-forums have close to zero traffic.

I personally find it now takes me less mouse clicks and less time to find the stuff that interests me, but I could try removing some of the lass active sub-forums. I'm afraid it would be permanent, though, I certainly don't want to have to go through all the threads and reassign them again in the future.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #63 - 06/21/17 at 05:55:08
Post Tools
I don't know if the forum software currently allows embedding YouTube videos.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 06/20/17 at 18:37:37
Post Tools
Nobody can guarantee closing the sub-forums would increase traffic. The positive effects would be less strict structure, less mouse clicks to get to the active threads and getting rid of a lot of proof(!) that most sub-forums have close to zero traffic. Looking dead potentially scares people away.
In forums without such heavy content, e.g. video games, it's normal to quickly open new forums for fresh product and close them when the traffic gets below a certain threshold for a certain time.

It's certainly a good idea to think the whole thing through before taking action. It's a PITA to get the sub-forums back once they're gone, unless you find a way to tag the threads in some way.

Three ideas:
1) Would it make sense to restructure the forum in a way that encourages activity? Let's say a book review forum? Or one to discuss live events? A volunteer or a mod could easily open meaningful threads there just by following the news. Real chess content could then be split off and moved to a sub-forum, which increases activity there.
Maybe ask Malcolm Pain's book shop if they want to sponsor the book forum with a few giveaways every couple of months? Or rotate the book publishers for cooperations, no money involved?
And BTW, why are the ChessPub General forums at the top? I would get them out of the way. The important stuff should be at the top.
2) I know of a reasonably big video game site, a professional joint with ca. 5 full time writers, who use a virtual currency to activate their user base. Posting news gives n tokens. If the newsbit makes it to breaking use, the tokens double. A comment to  a newsbit gives tokens. Subscribing to the site gives many tokens. They dish out tokens for everything. A trainload of tokens can be converted into subscription time when they renew. The good thing about digital product is that it can be multiplied for free. Wink
Just food for thought.
3) I don't know if the forum software currently allows embedding YouTube videos. If not you should activate this. Linking to already existing videos is the easiest content you can get.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #61 - 06/20/17 at 12:59:49
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 06/19/17 at 19:29:49:
What a pity. The discussion had been courteous and constructive until this. One of the reasons I post quite rarely is because of precisely this sort of intervention, belittling alternative viewpoints by characterising people whose opinions are different from that of the poster as suffering from a mental disorder. This doesn't move the discussion forward and it's downright insulting.

I think his post was slightly tongue in cheek and pretty much a good post tbh.

If people are going to be getting that sensitive about posts then we really will be having a problem.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #60 - 06/20/17 at 04:38:54
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/19/17 at 22:19:01:
maybe the Forum is not dying at all, but was just resting?

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #59 - 06/19/17 at 22:19:01
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 06/19/17 at 19:29:49:
barnaby wrote on 06/19/17 at 15:30:27:
The subforums are superfluous at best and are just am unneeded indulgence for those people with mild forum OCD and organizational obsessions.

What a pity. The discussion had been courteous and constructive until this. One of the reasons I post quite rarely is because of precisely this sort of intervention, belittling alternative viewpoints by characterising people whose opinions are different from that of the poster as suffering from a mental disorder. This doesn't move the discussion forward and it's downright insulting.

Yes, I quite agree.
Still, it's nice to see so many posts these last few days - maybe the Forum is not dying at all, but was just resting?

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #58 - 06/19/17 at 20:03:34
Post Tools
Quote:

I can only agree. Personally (and that's all I'm saying -- I totally respect others feeling differently), I just happen to like it that if I want to post about, or read about, say, the Pirc, I can go straight to the Pirc sub-forum and do that. I was charmed to learn that this makes me some sort of obsessive!

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #57 - 06/19/17 at 19:29:49
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 06/19/17 at 15:30:27:
The subforums are superfluous at best and are just am unneeded indulgence for those people with mild forum OCD and organizational obsessions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo