Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Difference between 'Mega' vs 'Big' Database 2017 ? (Read 1174 times)
ChessIsWar
YaBB Newbies

Re: Difference between 'Mega' vs 'Big' Database 2017 ?
Reply #6 - 09/03/17 at 11:43:45
Post Tools
I just loaded up Fritz 15 again and ...I mean I guess that's as good as you're going to get in today's market. It legitimately *is* better than the competition, I just wish it didn't cost as much as it does. Basically, the bundle that's coming out this fall is going to run me just as much as a 1 year full membership to the Marshall Club. I think that puts it into perspective well.

Maybe I can just pick up the database this year and use it with Fritz 15 although everyone keeps telling me that Chessbase > Fritz so I don't know if I should pick up CB15 when it releases. As said, it would be nice if they mentioned a release date for it while they continue to sell the one they've been selling for 11 months.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 09/03/17 at 11:27:33
Post Tools
TN wrote on 09/03/17 at 10:14:30:
My favourite is the automated 'Tactical Analysis'...but it's from ChessBase, thus ruling it out on your criteria.

Otherwise, I don't know - maybe try the ChessOK products?

I wouldn't go so far (or shouldn't have in the first place) to say that I'm "ruling out" Chessbase products. I'm just interested in alternatives.

It's just that CB15+2018 database is going to be around a $300+ bundle and Chessbase is still pumping out sales of last year's iterations of these without advertising the new ones. It just seems a) terribly overpriced and b) extremely shady.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/03/17 at 10:14:30
Post Tools
My favourite is the automated 'Tactical Analysis'...but it's from ChessBase, thus ruling it out on your criteria.

Otherwise, I don't know - maybe try the ChessOK products?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 09/03/17 at 09:53:35
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 05/17/17 at 09:10:02:
GeneM wrote on 05/17/17 at 07:16:25:
Oh I see.  The differences are:

1. Mega includes "PlayerBase".
2. In Mega, 70,000 of the games are "annotated".

What is the value of a "PlayerBase"? The pictures which anybody can find online?
70.000 out of 6.8M games are annotated. That is 1% and they don't mention of course that most of the annotations are horribly outdated. Any analysis older than 3 years can be improved by the current top engines.

As posted in another thread, I've contemplated buying the new iterations of CB and the Big or Mega database this fall. That said, I'm not a fan of the Chessbase line in general and I think these things look a) terribly overpriced and b) just not worth it at all. I guess you agree?

I couldn't even talk myself into buying Komodo 11.2 no matter how much I wanted it. It seems as if there's just tons of snake oil out there. AsmFish is just miles ahead and it costs $0 with regular updates. Where can I find a good annotated database that isn't from Chessbase?

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #2 - 05/17/17 at 09:10:02
Post Tools
GeneM wrote on 05/17/17 at 07:16:25:

What is the value of a "PlayerBase"? The pictures which anybody can find online?
70.000 out of 6.8M games are annotated. That is 1% and they don't mention of course that most of the annotations are horribly outdated. Any analysis older than 3 years can be improved by the current top engines.

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #1 - 05/17/17 at 07:16:25
Post Tools

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Difference between 'Mega' vs 'Big' Database 2017 ?
05/17/17 at 06:22:05
Post Tools
Both 'Mega Database' and 'Big Database' say they have 6.8 million games.
So why is Mega triple the cost of Big?

(Mega 2008 claims 3.8 million games.)

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo