Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 1.d4, 2.c4 repertoire book in German (Read 1902 times)
Straggler

Re: 1.d4, 2.c4 repertoire book in German
Reply #6 - 05/23/17 at 19:54:42
Post Tools
It's Andreas van (not von) Schyndel, and his username here was "derdudea". I say "was" because I don't think he's been here for ages. He is quite low rated for a chess author, but he had clearly put a lot of work and thought into the book. Some of his lines in the Queen's Gambit resemble those given by Simon Williams in his "Killer 1.d4" videos.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 05/23/17 at 19:01:49
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/23/17 at 16:33:33:
I believe the von Schyndel book was mentioned on the forum when it came out, and that the author even is/was an occasional poster here. Don't remember the user name though.

I have 1.d4 siegt! on my shelf. It looks like a mixed bag at best to me. In particular there are some strange move order choices of the "do I really want to believe these two have it right and everybody else is wrong" variety:

- They play the Kapengut (Sämisch setup with 7.f3) against the Modern Benoni, but instead of 8.Bg5, which most people consider the critical line, they want to play 8.Be3.

- Most of their Nimzo-Indian coverage consists of 4.f3 main lines, but for some reason they want to get there via 4.a3 (including 4.a3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 c5 6.f3 Nc6 7.e4, which I believe other sources consider dubious for White). Then suddenly in the example games chapter it turns out almost all the modern main games feature 4.f3 or 4.e3.

- They cover the Exchange QGD with 6.e3 without mentioning the Short variation 6...Bf5 as far as I can see. The sideline 3...Be7 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Bf4 Nf6 6.e3 0-0 7.Bd3 c5 is only mentioned, not covered.

- 1.d4 d6 2.c4 and 1.d4 e6 2.c4 covered with no mention that Black might want to use these move orders to enter the Dutch, where their repertoire choice is 1.d4 f5 2.Nc3.

- I can't find 1...g6 mentioned anywhere, though luckily the much more important 1...b5, 1...e5, 1...Nc6 and 1...c6 2.c4 b5 are covered!

No reason is given for any of these choices, which makes me wonder if they are oversights by people covering lines they don't have experience with rather than conscious departures from the mainstream. Or just very sloppy work.

Not mentioning 1...g6 at all, nor the possibility of 2...f5 after 1.d4 e6  2.c4 is certainly not the sign of a "labour of love", on the other side I sometimes wonder if contracts with the Publisher, e.g. for "n" pages and "n" chapters, or some editorial work, have a part in these sort of things...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #4 - 05/23/17 at 16:33:33
Post Tools
I believe the von Schyndel book was mentioned on the forum when it came out, and that the author even is/was an occasional poster here. Don't remember the user name though.

I have 1.d4 siegt! on my shelf. It looks like a mixed bag at best to me. In particular there are some strange move order choices of the "do I really want to believe these two have it right and everybody else is wrong" variety:

- They play the Kapengut (Sämisch setup with 7.f3) against the Modern Benoni, but instead of 8.Bg5, which most people consider the critical line, they want to play 8.Be3.

- Most of their Nimzo-Indian coverage consists of 4.f3 main lines, but for some reason they want to get there via 4.a3 (including 4.a3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 c5 6.f3 Nc6 7.e4, which I believe other sources consider dubious for White). Then suddenly in the example games chapter it turns out almost all the modern main games feature 4.f3 or 4.e3.

- They cover the Exchange QGD with 6.e3 without mentioning the Short variation 6...Bf5 as far as I can see. The sideline 3...Be7 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Bf4 Nf6 6.e3 0-0 7.Bd3 c5 is only mentioned, not covered.

- 1.d4 d6 2.c4 and 1.d4 e6 2.c4 covered with no mention that Black might want to use these move orders to enter the Dutch, where their repertoire choice is 1.d4 f5 2.Nc3.

- I can't find 1...g6 mentioned anywhere, though luckily the much more important 1...b5, 1...e5, 1...Nc6 and 1...c6 2.c4 b5 are covered!

No reason is given for any of these choices, which makes me wonder if they are oversights by people covering lines they don't have experience with rather than conscious departures from the mainstream. Or just very sloppy work.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/23/17 at 16:07:17
Post Tools
Well, it's the Andreas von Schyndel book, although it's not as recent as it seemed to me...I'll have a look at the other book, too! Thanks for the feedback!

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/23/17 at 14:28:57
Post Tools
Maybe it's "1.d4 siegt!" from Konikowski and Bekemann? It's from 2014 and seems to have gotten good reviews because Bekemann is from the corr. world and everything is checked properly.

However, it recommends the Sämisch (4.a3) against the Nimzo (which I find quite nice)

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #1 - 05/23/17 at 14:03:46
Post Tools
I found "Anzugsvorteil II" by Andreas von Schyndel, which is a 1.d4 2.c4 repertoire and it does feature 4.f3 vs the Nimzo. But it's from 2012, and I seem to recall the book that got the impressed comments, and wasn't that more recent?

https://www.schachversand.de/d/detail/buecher/12061.html

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

1.d4, 2.c4 repertoire book in German
05/23/17 at 13:49:33
Post Tools
I remember on this forum a discussion of a relatively recent 1.d4, 2.c4 repertoire book in German, by a German author and Publisher. The book was generally described as impressive one. It's not available, as far as I know, from major sellers like New in Chess etc. One of the very few things that I remember is that it advocates the 4.f3 variation vs. the Nimzo-Indian.

Anyone can help me in finding the title and author of this work? Thx!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo