Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Secrets in the Ruy Lopez by Portisch (Read 21461 times)
Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Re: My Secrets in the Ruy Lopez by Portisch
Reply #17 - 04/10/18 at 15:43:47
Post Tools
I have only read the PDF excerpt, but I think is the best analisys of the exchange variation I have ever seen. This must be a very good book

GTalk  
IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 07/14/17 at 03:25:17
Post Tools
CarriedbyGg wrote on 06/11/17 at 14:00:19:
What was interesting for me is that he uses a lot of space to Steinitz lines (old and new ones),

Tim Taylor recently authored a book on the modern Steinitz (MS). The MS isn't fashionable now, but is not bad at all. It hasn't been worked out nearly so much as other lines.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 06/25/17 at 15:25:23
Post Tools
Yes, you are right. He even talks about this when commenting that Beliavsky was (unlike himself) fighting against the Ruy Lopez with White.

Not to confuse people, but his secrets are rather idea-driven and not the most stunning novelty. However, there are lots of them in there, but I believe in more seldomly-played lines. Do not expect that Breyer is a forced win now Wink
As I said, this book has a lot of fresh and interesting ideas in lines that are a bit forgotten (who knows why) and I believe the really standout feature is the approach Portisch has. I really like to read this book and play through the games as they are chosen very carefully.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 06/25/17 at 10:41:00
Post Tools
So may I suppose that the "secrets" and the new ideas are mostly from Black's point of view, considering that Portisch was mainly an 1.d4 player in his career?

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 06/21/17 at 11:40:15
Post Tools
As this thread got a little side-tracked, I hope that we can talk about the book again. Smiley

As Paddy noted, this book really is a gem. It's ok for me to not have the most fashionable lines included, because Portisch has a lot of interesting ideas in lines that I have not seen covered before. Furthermore, there are loads of interesting plans that I have seen seldomly, for example Nd7-b6 followed by Kh8-f5 in the d3 lines. Interesting stuff!

Also the modern Steinitz and everything related to it. I have not seen the idea of playing Bg4 and then Nf6-d7-c5-e6, although it is possible that I simply overlooked it somehow. I did a lot of work on the Spanish already, but this book shows again that there are loads of other ways to play and explore than current practise suggests!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #12 - 06/15/17 at 09:01:24
Post Tools
I have a broad repertoaur and I sometimes plays d3 system vs a6 and sometimes exchange variation.
If I know that opponent is booked up I play Four Knights via Four Knights move order and not only vs Berlin, Petroff and Alekhine.

I can add that there are lines in Four Knights Spanish where white can get get in the move d2 d4 in favorable ways.
So in Berlin Nc3 or pawn to d3 has both advantages.
EDIT
There is by the way a huge difference between Berlin endgame and exchange variation since in Berlin endgame whites pawn e pawn is commited before the f pawn.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/15/17 at 07:33:10
Post Tools
Then 4.d3 as played by most GMs nowadays, leaving open the chance to play c3 rather than Nc3...with some sort of Giuoco Piano in view. Hardly a refutation of the Berlin, but not a drawish endgame yet.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #10 - 06/14/17 at 18:37:57
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 06/14/17 at 18:27:03:
I've never really understood this line of reasoning. If you think that, you may as well just play a Four Knights proper, no?

Not really. You might enjoy playing against Black's other defences to the Ruy Lopez more than you enjoy playing the Four Knights, but prefer playing the Four Knights to facing the Berlin. It seems a perfectly sensible solution.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #9 - 06/14/17 at 18:27:03
Post Tools
I've never really understood this line of reasoning. If you think that, you may as well just play a Four Knights proper, no?

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #8 - 06/14/17 at 16:07:03
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 06/13/17 at 19:03:07:
bragesjo wrote on 06/13/17 at 13:47:48:
The Berlin is easy to beat. Simply play Nc3 and we are not in Berlin anymore, we have entered Spanish Four Knights Smiley

And that's a clear win for White, right?  Wink

I think that here is at least more play in this lines than the Berlin endgame.
The position leeds to chanses for both sides with best play.
At club level is very effekctive since black players often plays lines that favor white.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/13/17 at 19:03:07
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 06/13/17 at 13:47:48:
The Berlin is easy to beat. Simply play Nc3 and we are not in Berlin anymore, we have entered Spanish Four Knights Smiley

And that's a clear win for White, right?  Wink

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #6 - 06/13/17 at 13:47:48
Post Tools

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #5 - 06/12/17 at 19:23:40
Post Tools
I immediately boguht this on my IPad!

Portisch was definitely one of the best prepared top GMs of his heyday and made many important contributions to theory. Apart from the stories, there is fascinating and potentially very useful material for anyone who plays the Spanish for either side. His explanations are very good and he reveals many novelties.

This book is 'an event' and I hope it sells very well!

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 06/12/17 at 19:18:19
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 06/11/17 at 19:04:24:
Has he refuted the Berlin? If not its rubbish. Tongue

Although I sort of feel this was hardly Portisch's main preoccupation in his career, being an inveterate 1.d4 - and sometimes 1.c4 - player, I do agree that a book concerned with "Beating the Berlin" might be of great interest these days, and certainly a big seller if it'll be a serious effort...  perhaps someone will take on this in the near future?

Edit: I now see that there is a Shirov product from ChessBase, titled "Beating the Berlin", dating back to 2012...

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #3 - 06/11/17 at 19:04:24
Post Tools
Has he refuted the Berlin? If not its rubbish. Tongue

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo