Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "e3 Poison" by Axel Smith (Read 17011 times)
ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Re: "e3 Poison" by Axel Smith
Reply #66 - 12/15/17 at 01:26:33
Post Tools
@PaulCumbers,
That's true. I have a rather worked-out repertoire of my own design with respect to early move-orders, and I have thought about many of these transpositional matters and made choices for the first few moves. If White has worked on early move-order issues and Black hasn't, Black could get move-ordered. But if Black has done a lot of this and White hasn't done so much, White could himself get move-ordered: avoiding d4, he finds himself in a symmetrical English; avoiding the English and hoping for a Zuckertort, he finds himself in a Semi-Tarrasch; etc., etc.

So, I guess, do some work on what to do against c4, d4 Nf3, and g3 in various combinations. In the end, you will have to either learn a new opening to plug the holes or give up some of your previous preventive measures and play an uncomfortable opening that you already know. I did the former, mostly.

One good method is to make one or two approaches thematic, choose multiple lines that feature the themes, and then fill in the holes. Themes might be, for example, a  ...c5 and ...b6 approach, a ...d5 and ...c5 approach, a ...d5 and ...e6  approach,  a ...d5 and ...c6 approach, or a ...c5 and ...e6 approach, as well as fianchetto solutions. A program like CPT or COW will find all the transpositions instantly and allow you to build an early-move-order practice model.

<Just read the previous post. CC beat me to it.>
« Last Edit: 12/15/17 at 15:44:09 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #65 - 12/14/17 at 21:30:32
Post Tools
The main goal of playing Nf3 is to confuse your opponents being flexible from move 1. Ideally we want to play something not in the repertoire of our foes. But if Black knows what he is doing... the game will transpose to a known line by both players.

For example,

1.Nf3 d5 2.e3 Nc6

is not ideal for me, as I want to play another line against the Chigorin (main lines without that quick e3). But very few people play the Chigorin, so maybe it's a good practical move order. And if someone enters on it... well, it's not the end of the world.

I'ts a question of putting some little work in the move orders, to avoid something but allowing other things in return. As GM Danielsen (yes, the one of the Polar Bear system) likes to say, the coin has two sides.

Smiley

IP Logged

Paul Cumbers

Reply #64 - 12/14/17 at 20:40:47
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 12/14/17 at 01:12:11:
OK, but there are scarier things than watching your opponent lock in his own bishop. White also has to ask "is he going to play ...e6? ...d4? ...b6? ...c5?" It's just a Reti or d-pawn special or something more normal. There's no diabolical system.

I'm trying to say that Black could easily find himself transposing into something he wouldn't normally play. Let's say Black's repertoire is something like:
  • 1.c4 e5
  • 1.Nf3 d5 2.g3 Nc6 3.d4 Bg4
  • 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 d4
  • 1.b3 e5
  • 1.Nf3 d5 2.b3 Bg4
  • 1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 e6 intending The Triangle, avoiding the Marshall Gambit.
Then after 1.Nf3 d5 2.e3 Black might stumble into (for example) some kind of non-1...e5 English line.

IP Logged

Paul Cumbers

Reply #63 - 12/14/17 at 19:46:55
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/14/17 at 02:00:01:
Paul Cumbers wrote on 12/14/17 at 00:10:11:
I can tell you from Black's point of view I would not like to see 1.Nf3 d5 2.e3! Is White going to play d4, c4, both, or neither?? I'd be tempted to try 2...Nc6 ("threatening" 3...e5), with the idea 3.c4 d4!?, but 3.Bb5!? or 3.d4 Bg4 might be good for White.

I'm not sure why 3...d4 gets "!?"; it's an old main line of the Reti (by the order 2. c4 d4 3. e3 Nc6) which as far as I know has basically been considered equal since way back.

Just my opinion... And it gives the game a more distinctive character. (See http://www.chesspublishing.com/content/12/sep16.htm#ret and http://www.chesspublishing.com/content/12/mar14.htm#ret). But yes, I could have left the "!?" off and still retained my meaning.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #62 - 12/14/17 at 02:00:01
Post Tools
Paul Cumbers wrote on 12/14/17 at 00:10:11:
I can tell you from Black's point of view I would not like to see 1.Nf3 d5 2.e3! Is White going to play d4, c4, both, or neither?? I'd be tempted to try 2...Nc6 ("threatening" 3...e5), with the idea 3.c4 d4!?, but 3.Bb5!? or 3.d4 Bg4 might be good for White.

I'm not sure why 3...d4 gets "!?"; it's an old main line of the Reti (by the order 2. c4 d4 3. e3 Nc6) which as far as I know has basically been considered equal since way back.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #61 - 12/14/17 at 01:12:11
Post Tools
OK, but there are scarier things than watching your opponent lock in his own bishop. White also has to ask "is he going to play ...e6? ...d4? ...b6? ...c5?" It's just a Reti or d-pawn special or something more normal. There's no diabolical system.

IP Logged

Paul Cumbers

Reply #60 - 12/14/17 at 00:10:11
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 09/22/17 at 21:52:58:
I am looking for something in the 1.Nf3 d5. Maybe 2.e3 would be an option.

IP Logged

IM_Serious
YaBB Newbies

Bibliophile

Reply #59 - 11/11/17 at 02:41:36
Post Tools
> As predecessor

1991: The Killer Grob by Michael Basman

IP Logged

Igor

Schild und Schwert der
Partei!

Reply #58 - 11/10/17 at 18:25:21
Post Tools
Quote:
Well, the precedent was set by Lackdawala's "Ferocious" London. Perhaps "The a3 Chain Saw: You Can Beat Morphy" and "White is Equal!" by Adorjan? We just got a taste of what opening preparation can still do in Kasparov's recent rapid games. In nearly every game he had a real advantage in the early middlegame. Today's tendency is partly just fashion led by Carlsen, even if computers do analyze to equality more often now than before.Smiley

As predecessor I would quote the Summerscale's "A Killer Chess Opening Repertoire" (Cadogan, 1999). Unluckily the Carlsen's tendency to play untheoretically is usually followed by some 400 pages dense book written by the boring GM Stockfish.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #57 - 11/10/17 at 03:30:53
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 10/30/17 at 17:38:09:
Igor wrote on 10/29/17 at 21:41:26:
there are already rumors about "c3 Butcher" coming springtime 2018  Smiley

Well, the precedent was set by Lackdawala's "Ferocious" London. Perhaps "The a3 Chain Saw: You Can Beat Morphy" and "White is Equal!" by Adorjan? We just got a taste of what opening preparation can still do in Kasparov's recent rapid games. In nearly every game he had a real advantage in the early middlegame. Today's tendency is partly just fashion led by Carlsen, even if computers do analyze to equality more often now than before.

What is really poisonous? Kramnik described Botvinnik's preparations for his revenge match against Tal: "Everything was venomous, and well-perceived and regulated by [Botvinnik]." What were these venomous openings? Not quiet positional ones, as Tal had expected. Whereas Tal had expected g3 against the King's Indian, Botvinnik played...the Saemisch! Also against the Nimzo--the Saemisch and delayed Saemisch. Classic Botvinnik bulldozer setups with strong centers that restricted Black.

I looked through the Adorjan books. He really needed a stern editor (see also: 'Cyrus'). Style reminded me a bit of the autobiography of Klaus Kinski, 'Kinski Uncut', but not in a good way. Comes across as ... a bit deranged.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #56 - 11/09/17 at 12:50:50
Post Tools
TD wrote on 10/28/17 at 14:08:27:
On QC's blog I read that Sadler had some negative points about the book in New In Chess (Yearbook?). Any comments about this?

Had a quick peruse of the review and his overall feeling is that there is a good book in there but poorly organised. I think he comments on the games being presented in some cases not actually fitting in with the philosphy of playing e3 (i,e some positions actually have e4 being played i think). Secondly, confusion about what lines Smith is actually proposing. I cant remember if he also picks out the issue Bragesjo does. He says that the book is aimed at the more serious player who can adapt to a more flexible opening repertoire than someone less skilled and simply looking for a set of openings to play,

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #55 - 11/09/17 at 12:22:41
Post Tools
The book has a weak coverage at the Panov Attack section.
The book does not cover 1 e4 c6  2 d4 d5 3 exd5 cxd5 4 c4 Nf6 5 Nc3 g6 6 Qb3 e6.

A similar line but with a Knight at f3 instead of c3 is covered and the book writes that black does not want to play this  e6 here but the recommended line does not transpose to the first line.

I discovered this since I decided to try Smiths Panov lines in a corr game.
I will not give any more details since I belive the games is secrets to the public according to tournamnet rules but I have other Panov books where the move is covered, I just wanted to point is out if anyone more is consdering to enter the Panov via some sorts of different move order.

Otherwise the Panov chapter looks interesting and better reommendations than  other books at several points.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #54 - 10/30/17 at 17:38:09
Post Tools

Well, the precedent was set by Lackdawala's "Ferocious" London. Perhaps "The a3 Chain Saw: You Can Beat Morphy" and "White is Equal!" by Adorjan? We just got a taste of what opening preparation can still do in Kasparov's recent rapid games. In nearly every game he had a real advantage in the early middlegame. Today's tendency is partly just fashion led by Carlsen, even if computers do analyze to equality more often now than before.

What is really poisonous? Kramnik described Botvinnik's preparations for his revenge match against Tal: "Everything was venomous, and well-perceived and regulated by [Botvinnik]." What were these venomous openings? Not quiet positional ones, as Tal had expected. Whereas Tal had expected g3 against the King's Indian, Botvinnik played...the Saemisch! Also against the Nimzo--the Saemisch and delayed Saemisch. Classic Botvinnik bulldozer setups with strong centers that restricted Black.

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #53 - 10/30/17 at 08:29:01
Post Tools
I'm considering 1.e3 (after I realized how much I dislike seeing 1.d4 e6). I notice that after 1.e3 e5 he goes into English lines.

Do his lines overlap with ones from Cumming's English book?

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #52 - 10/30/17 at 07:40:32
Post Tools

There is already a 1 c3 DVD from white point of view so I am not surprised about any opening books or discs opening choices anymore.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo