Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "e3 Poison" by Axel Smith (Read 74053 times)
tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: "e3 Poison" by Axel Smith
Reply #11 - 08/04/17 at 22:51:00
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 08/01/17 at 21:18:20:
Can anyone say what he recommends vs the Semi-Slav, i.e. in the Meran?  That's the only place where this book overlaps my repertoire I think, but I'd buy the book if I liked his Meran treatment enough.

He suggests 6. Bd2.

So far I could not be happier with the book. It is the introduction into the world of 1 d4/c4/Nf3 I always wanted. Some of things I like are
- move orders/typical plans/pawn structures are explained clearly enough to make this book accessible even to life-long e4-players like me
- no short cuts (unlike some Colle/London repertoire books)
- the amount of variations is manageable
- really quite a few insights of what to aim for => no problems with new/unknown moves

I have looked at many 1 d4 repertoires (e.g. by Schandorff, Watson even Colle or London based repertoires) but they did not work for me. I was looking for a way to broaden my chess horizon without having to memorize many moves (age takes its toll) but in these repertoires there were either too many positions which I did not understand (well enough) or they were too simplistic for my taste. .

I think this is the book to beat for the opening book of the year award.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #10 - 08/04/17 at 20:10:50
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 08/02/17 at 14:21:24:
I only want to make a clarification about my post about "traditional mainlines" and clubplayer aspect. Even if clubplayers dont play "traditional mainlines" clubplayers rarely knows theory on the line that they are playing instead. During the years I have even met FMs who are out of book before move 7 in "traditional mainlines".  I can also add that younger players rarely knows theory on old fashioned lines not popular by todays elite players.

This is why I think the whole "too much theory" argument is rarely applicable outside of 2000+. First of all, people play sidelines all the time in openings that start mainline. They do this to avoid diverse theory for things like the Sicilian or Grunfeld and these lines tend to be more positional in their nature so you can play well if you understand the position. Secondly, even if I know only 10 moves of Najdorf theory, my opponents generally also know only about that much. Just because there is a lot of theory on a line and a lot of computer analysis can be done doesn't mean it actually has until you get to really high levels. Plus, natural moves are often good enough even if not optimal and the better player in that position will still triumph most times.

My interest in side lines isn't to avoid theory because I'm scared of how much there is to learn and what my opponent could know. It's just to make myself a complete player and to surprise people a bit.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #9 - 08/02/17 at 14:21:24
Post Tools
I only want to make a clarification about my post about "traditional mainlines" and clubplayer aspect. Even if clubplayers dont play "traditional mainlines" clubplayers rarely knows theory on the line that they are playing instead. During the years I have even met FMs who are out of book before move 7 in "traditional mainlines".  I can also add that younger players rarely knows theory on old fashioned lines not popular by todays elite players.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 08/01/17 at 21:18:20
Post Tools
Can anyone say what he recommends vs the Semi-Slav, i.e. in the Meran?  That's the only place where this book overlaps my repertoire I think, but I'd buy the book if I liked his Meran treatment enough.

IP Logged

KestonyChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love Chess!

Reply #7 - 08/01/17 at 13:16:04
Post Tools
I did not read this book, but I have read Axel Smith's book in the past and it was probably the best chess book I have ever read

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #6 - 07/30/17 at 10:31:37
Post Tools
I have read the excerpt from website. I might buy this book, It is an interesting concept.

However one thing is not mentioned is clubplayer aspect.There are more books, disc, databases etc than ever before.
But clubplayers knows less and less theory. So I am more surprised when meeting a  "traditional mainline".

At clublevel d-pawn specials is more common that "traditional mainlines" after 1 d4. And even if they play "traditional mainlines" they does not theory very far. At Internet I have lost count on how many times I meet 4 Bd2 vs Nimzo.

The same principle applies to 1 e4 openings as well.
Open Sicilian is a "traditional mainline". In practical play about 90 % of all club players plays some anti sicilian instead.
So at club level one can almost get away by only learning anti sicilians!

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 07/27/17 at 17:03:11
Post Tools
Now the book is available at Forward Chess!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 07/17/17 at 17:49:42
Post Tools
I would presume it is that kind of thing.  Incidentally I recall the term "King's Indian Attack Reversed" from an annotation from the 1970s.

IP Logged

SouthofGrey
YaBB Newbies

How does this thing move
again?

Reply #3 - 07/17/17 at 17:32:38
Post Tools
I've seen players try this idea before. You really can play this way against everything including the king's indian and get a playable position. I noticed that in the Indian defence section he has a section called "Reversed King's Indian Attack" and I wonder if he'll be trying something like this game between Grishuk and Caruana. This game is what introduced me to the idea of playing something like this:

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/13/17 at 06:59:03
Post Tools
It looks like a very original book indeed!

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 07/13/17 at 04:52:59
Post Tools
The excerpt looks good. I wonder what he covers vs the Meran?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

"e3 Poison" by Axel Smith
07/12/17 at 18:15:04
Post Tools
(now with a preview)
http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/295/e3_poison_by_axel_smith/

One thing I was a bit struck by:  the full game in Chapter 1 involves a known tricky line of the 4. e3 QID (plus, reaching it by a move order starting with d4, Nf3 and e3 has happened many times).  Doesn't exactly seem "post-theoretical" as the chapter title has it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo