Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Differences between Chessbase & HIARCS? (Read 7334 times)
tdv
YaBB Newbies

Let's play chess!

Re: Differences between Chessbase & HIARCS?
Reply #6 - 03/28/18 at 19:41:10
Post Tools
Interesting (I know Chessbase but not HCE). Finally, what it is NOT possible to do with Hiarcs Chess Explorer which is included in Chessbase ?!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 11/11/17 at 10:16:53
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 11/10/17 at 16:40:20:
I don't need so many features so I'd rather try Hiarcs 2.0 than CB 14. Btw - do they still make you put your dvd in the player to authenticate regularly - despite that most laptops these days don't come with dvd-players anymore?

No, I haven't been asked to do this in many years, and I'm currently using versions 12, 13 and 14 of ChessBase on different computers.
There are a few annoying things about ChessBase, but there are many good things too, the almost instantaneous online database is fantastic - I get MegaBase free every year but almost never use it now.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #4 - 11/10/17 at 16:40:20
Post Tools
Nice to see that Hiarcs is working on their own format instead of pgn - that would probably increase the search speed and perhaps allow other kinds of searches like structure, material etc. I doubt it would be possible or even legal for them to use ChessBase's cbh-files, but it would probably be possible to convert files to the new format or it to cbh, eventually...

Personally, I don't need so many features so I'd rather try Hiarcs 2.0 than CB 14. Btw - do they still make you put your dvd in the player to authenticate regularly - despite that most laptops these days don't come with dvd-players anymore?

Though it seems strange that Hiarcs are not updating potential customers on how 2.0 is coming along. The website contains a lot of yesterday's news so maybe the big problem is making their own engine more competitive? It can't be easy to compete with Stockfish (and clones!), Komodo, and Houdini.

As long as I would be able to run other engines, Hiarcs 15 isn't a big selling point for me. Have never tried it and it's rarely in the different computer tms so I'm not sure where in the rating list Hiarcs 14 belongs, I'd guess somewhere between 10th and 20th. I doubt that Anand still uses it...

No pressure Wink but in a year or two it's possible that Lichess will offer more or less everything a chess player needs from a database program, online and for free.

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/10/17 at 10:25:45
Post Tools
I am also interested in Hiarcs Chess Explorer but the critical point for me is that it doesn´t support *.cbh-Files. When I enter book variations I always create *.cbh-Files and also the Mega Database is in this format. Do you know any rumours if Chess Explorer will support *.cbh-Files in the future?
Until then I use Chessbase 14 running via Parallels on my MacBook and that´s fine for me.

IP Logged

Michael
YaBB Newbies

Great investment - ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 11/09/17 at 10:08:00
Post Tools
Hiarcs Chess Explorer is very good imho. The game format is .pgn The next version has been on the table now for a couple of years but promised releases have not materialised. There is very little information about it other than a possible new game format to replace .pgn.

HCE works well with the Hiarcs Opening book service which comes as a separate purchase but gives you regular updates. For Mac users there is probably not a better chess database whilst for Windows if you want more features then Chessbase still outshines HCE.

In Chessbase you can search multiple databases in one sweep whilst HCE does one at a time. HCE is also a little slower at searching large databases due probably to their being no indexing as with CB.

Searching for structures, endgames and material requires Chessbase.

Having tried CB14 my preference would be for ChessBase unless cost was an issue when HCE would do a decent job in its place. Help queries to Hiarcs are answered quickly and there is a good user forum also.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #1 - 09/03/17 at 08:46:34
Post Tools
I'm interested in what you're asking about here, too. I have Fritz 15, the database it comes with (as well as it's opening book), and I actually just let my Chessbase sub expire but had been using the live book and let's check features prior. All in all, I don't really like Chessbase. I don't like their sales tactics, I don't like the software, I think it's terribly unstable and terribly overpriced, and before the 2017/2018 iterations of CB and the Mega database come out (since they look totally not worth the money), I am also looking for an alternative. Thus far, the best thing I can find online is ChessTempo and for $4 a month (tops) you really can't beat it. Still, it would be nice to have a software package and system like HIARCS so I'm definitely interested in hearing other's thoughts on this, as well.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Differences between Chessbase & HIARCS?
08/14/17 at 15:37:29
Post Tools
I happened to visit Hiarcs's site and saw that a version 2.0 seems to be on the way sometime this year (though it's been mentioned on their forum since 2015, so it could be 2018...)

Anyway, since my CB9 doesn't seem to fully agree with Win 10 and later CB versions seem to be a bit annoying judging from other threads here, I'm considering giving Hiarcs a chance instead. Is there anyone here who have tried both and would be willing to summarise the pros and cons in comparison?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo