Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2017 World Cup (Read 44209 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: 2017 World Cup
Reply #85 - 10/04/17 at 11:19:17
Post Tools
More propaganda. Fortunately it is impossible to ever recover a reputation when you dont have one in the first place.

IP Logged

sim
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #84 - 10/04/17 at 10:20:52
Post Tools
The extent to which I take Mr. Azmaiparashvili's side is that "I wore the same pants in the previous rounds" isn't a good enought excuse in principle, and that, while "gypsy" is a racially laden word, he likely didn't intend it to be a racial insult to Mr. Kovalyov (just a regular insult, like "street musician"). That's it. If Mr. Azmaiparashvili and the rest of the organisers had held themselves to the same principles they expected from Mr. Kovalyov, they would have tried to rectify their mistake by apologising in stead of by trying to redefine history.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #83 - 10/04/17 at 09:14:12
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 10/01/17 at 20:29:23:
Jorge Vega:
Quote:
I know Mr. Azmaiparashvili very well and I know that he has a very strong character and quite loud voice, but I am sure that it was not his intention to insult Mr. Kovalyov. (emphasis added)

LOL what? Pretty sure insulting Kovalyov was exactly his intention. You could perhaps say insulting him to this extent was not his intention, but obviously he was trying to get him to follow the rules and insults could help in this regard. Say, if your friend doesn't tip enough and you tell him "come on man, don't be a cheapskate." That's an insult designed to make him follow an unwritten rule. Not to say that "cheapskate" is equivalent to what Zurab said, it's just a random example of the principle.

(I don't agree with the rule, nor do I take Zurab's side to any extent. I'm just trying to say that Vega's statement makes no sense at all.)

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #82 - 10/03/17 at 01:29:34
Post Tools
Yes, a bit random.
Hired hack to Mr Sokolov: "You were not there. Please pull something out of your @rse"
Sokolov: "Happy to..."

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #81 - 10/02/17 at 17:00:43
Post Tools
Hello.

sim wrote on 10/01/17 at 19:05:46:
http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-kovalyov-report
Well this is an interesting experiment. Will this kind of attempt at framing the debate, that usually works very well with most audiences, work as well with a chess audience? Aren't chess players generally more used to judging on their own, and aren't they perhaps slightly more intelligent on average?
I think this could be too transparent to fool a large enough percentage of the intended audience.

(Edit: sorry, I don't know if it adds much to the discussion. Maybe I just wanted to vent.)

Yes. This is not anywhere near serious investigative journalism. Many of the Chessbase comments are about this so if anyone is wondering why just read there.

Apart from some fresh recounts of events from Chief arbiter Delega and Chief organiser Azmaiparashvili (which seem to be in line with previous ones) I could not find anything of interest. The selected people interviewed in the report brought up almost nothing of investigative value; which is not really surprising considering they were mostly not present or did not seem to be near enough to the incident to even give their account of happenings. They also brought up much irrelevancy, but yea, without investigative direction when meeting these people the people interviewed are basically just going to say the stuff that comes up in their minds.

an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 10/01/17 at 20:29:23:
This bit from Anastasiya Karlovich made me laugh:
Quote:
I did not say anything about the dress code, because it’s not my job to make warnings and I try to be careful with players, they are quite sensitive people.

The last part about chess players? I probably would have too if I didn't believe it was so broadly accurate.

For Karlovich not to "warn" about when players are somehow breaking som minor rule or norm seems like an entirely professional way to go about her job. In fact, to my mind, it seems pretty much like an indication of competence from ms. Karlovich.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #80 - 10/01/17 at 20:29:23
Post Tools
I think it was quite reasonable for the organizers to commission this piece of "journalism". I found the opinions interesting, but as you say, I am still going to judge on my own.

Jorge Vega:
Quote:
I know Mr. Azmaiparashvili very well and I know that he has a very strong character and quite loud voice, but I am sure that it was not his intention to insult Mr. Kovalyov. (emphasis added)

This bit from Anastasiya Karlovich made me laugh:
Quote:
I did not say anything about the dress code, because it’s not my job to make warnings and I try to be careful with players, they are quite sensitive people.

We should all try to be more like Anastasiya Karlovich.

IP Logged

sim
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #79 - 10/01/17 at 19:05:46
Post Tools
http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-kovalyov-report
Well this is an interesting experiment. Will this kind of attempt at framing the debate, that usually works very well with most audiences, work as well with a chess audience? Aren't chess players generally more used to judging on their own, and aren't they perhaps slightly more intelligent on average?
I think this could be too transparent to fool a large enough percentage of the intended audience.

(Edit: sorry, I don't know if it adds much to the discussion. Maybe I just wanted to vent.)

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #78 - 09/27/17 at 01:28:25
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 09/22/17 at 11:23:58:
MVL is a very talented player but he does not seem to have much match strategy. Whatever the state of the match he plays the same risky stuff. He should have closed up shop after winning the first game with White.

On the other hand, Ding seems to have a natural feel for match strategy--a "player," as Lasker would say.  He instinctively stabilized himself with a draw after failing to win a won game against So (So shouldn't have accepted); he played fast to disorient Aronian and it worked; he went for counterplay and sticky situations when down in the fourth match game and it worked. And he's a gentleman. Very impressive.

Dink Heckler wrote on 09/22/17 at 12:26:49:
I would think faster time controls greatly favour the attacking side in this ending. So easy to blunder the rook.

Agree, generally attacking is easier under time pressure because, e.g., you just have to find one fork whereas the defender has to find them all; but there are more failures to convert in rapid than classical. Maybe a lot of time is taken by the non-forking situations where the king and rook are close and sliding around like eels.

But my main point was just that the humiliation would be horrible in an Armageddon game where a draw in a drawn match is a loss!
« Last Edit: 09/27/17 at 14:27:21 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #77 - 09/22/17 at 21:24:44
Post Tools
rest day today presumably

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #76 - 09/22/17 at 12:26:49
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 09/21/17 at 19:50:06:
So Aronian converts a Q vs R endgame against MVL under Armageddon conditions. I did a database search and not only Svidler, but also Georg Meier and Kovalev failed to convert this ending in rapid--and Morozevich and Navara failed to convert it in classical controls! What a horrible way for Aronian to lose a Candidates' berth that would have been...

I would think faster time controls greatly favour the attacking side in this ending. So easy to blunder the rook.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #75 - 09/22/17 at 11:23:58
Post Tools
MVL is a very talented player but he does not seem to have much match strategy. Whatever the state of the match he plays the same risky stuff. He should have closed up shop after winning the first game with White.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #74 - 09/22/17 at 07:10:36
Post Tools
Re endgame K+Q vs K+R, Dana Mackenzie has good blogpost on this:
http://www.danamackenzie.com/blog/?p=4910

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #73 - 09/21/17 at 23:15:09
Post Tools
Fascinating (it wasn't annotated in Megabase and I didn't count the moves). Good show by Navara!

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #72 - 09/21/17 at 20:41:31
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 09/21/17 at 19:50:06:
Navara under classical time controls [..] failed to convert this ending.

If that's referring to this game http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1633790 , Navara evidently didn't fail to convert, he merely offered a draw after achieving a winning position (a FairPlay gesture due to some touch move incident early in the game).

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #71 - 09/21/17 at 19:50:06
Post Tools
So Aronian converts a Q vs R endgame against MVL under Armageddon conditions. I did a database search and not only Svidler, but also Georg Meier and Kovalev failed to convert this ending in rapid--and Morozevich and Navara failed to convert it in classical controls! What a horrible way for Aronian to lose a Candidates' berth that would have been...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo