Latest Updates:
Normal Topic ICCF Database error (Read 4394 times)
Michael
YaBB Newbies

Great investment - ChessPublishing!

Re: ICCF Database error
Reply #8 - 11/09/17 at 10:28:36
Post Tools
The ICCF database is a terrible mess if you rely on player names, hundreds of players are in the database with variations of their name shown as different players.  More recent games should be fine now the majority are played on their web-server. I think the archivist has done an excellent job though, it must have been very time consuming collating all the postal and email names and players will not have helped by using variations of their names. Probably the failing by ICCF is in not simply using a players ICCF id to identify every one from the start.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 10/10/17 at 03:55:57
Post Tools
I now found two other such instances that don't involve me or ICCF. However, they are games from the USCF 1977 corr championships... alledgedly... however the games are real just not those players or that tournament. They were played in the 2011 USCL season on ICC.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 10/06/17 at 07:38:20
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/04/17 at 08:38:20:
Nickajack wrote on 10/03/17 at 21:03:51:
Unfortunately, it is not an uncommon occurrence to see the same game attributed to different players, especially with ICCF games. Sometimes it's only one of the two players' names that is different.

I used the ChessBase tool to 'Improve Player Names' on a database once and while it did a reasonable job on the vast majority it also altered quite a lot of correct names into faulty ones, which I still have to clean-up from time-to-time. Really annoying, and I certainly wouldn't trust it again. Angry
Perhaps the ICCF have also used this, which explains why some of the games have the wrong names?! Undecided

Interesting theory, it could be it. I guess. Did they ever make up a name in this faulty instance?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 10/04/17 at 08:38:20
Post Tools
Nickajack wrote on 10/03/17 at 21:03:51:
Unfortunately, it is not an uncommon occurrence to see the same game attributed to different players, especially with ICCF games. Sometimes it's only one of the two players' names that is different.

I used the ChessBase tool to 'Improve Player Names' on a database once and while it did a reasonable job on the vast majority it also altered quite a lot of correct names into faulty ones, which I still have to clean-up from time-to-time. Really annoying, and I certainly wouldn't trust it again. Angry
Perhaps the ICCF have also used this, which explains why some of the games have the wrong names?! Undecided

IP Logged

Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #4 - 10/03/17 at 21:03:51
Post Tools

[I'm not referring to short games where many players have walked into the same trap over time, or quit prematurely.]

Since nowadays ICCF games are server based, it's hard to see how this could be happening.  Embarrassed

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #3 - 09/29/17 at 10:03:05
Post Tools
In that case I think you should ask ICCF directly or ask your chess federation about it.
Something has possible gone wrong when the game was added into the database so two different players games got random names from a random event or else time travel or alternative time lines are involed.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/29/17 at 08:28:50
Post Tools
Yes, everyone with my last name is related to me and I am the only player in my family that plays chess. So no chance it is someone else. It is indeed my exact rating from an exact event that I played... except my opponent doesn't exist and has never existed in any database ever. The name is very similar to a person I played in that tournament though I didn't win our game (it was a draw) and it wasn't a KID. The rating is also similar.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #1 - 09/26/17 at 08:29:15
Post Tools
Are you shure that you are the only one with your name? Is it 100% unique? Does the rating match you rating?  I dont think the database stores per your id number but rather your name?

My name is 100% unique since my grandfather invented my lastname in 1951 and it had never been used before. My first name is Tomas. I have a cousin called Tom. And hes wife has the same firstname as one of my sisters and took his familyname.

I have a other memory from Beating the Siciilian 3 about Joe Gallaghers comment about a Jim Gallagher (probebly long lost cousin to judge from hes chess style).

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

ICCF Database error
09/02/17 at 17:16:45
Post Tools
So I play the KID with both colors at correspondence (rather successfully I might add).

And a rather dodgy way to play against a player is to look up their own lines and play it against them. In fact on some servers this is considered cheating and banable (I think that is a bit far and I don't know how they enforce it...).

Nevertheless, I have found it is quite common which brings me to my point.

A particular line in the KID was considered "put to bed" and unplayable based off a rather famous game I played. Except I wasn't aware of the reputation of said game because... I never played it. It didn't happen. And I only found out this game was attributed to me when I looked in the database and saw he was using "my line" against me.

Has anyone else come across fake games? Especially from such reputed sources as ICCF?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo