Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Fastest way to learn a new opening (Read 1722 times)
proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Re: Fastest way to learn a new opening
Reply #3 - 09/05/17 at 01:27:45
Post Tools
Honestly? (what i mean is that this is not a commercial!)

1. Play through the ChessPublishing guide of the line in question.
2. Play through the games in ChessPublishing that feature the line at a medium pace.
3. Open up recent issues of TWIC, find the games that feature that line, and then blitz through a bunch of them.

Test in blitz, test in OTB play, deem part of my repertoire.

IP Logged

Galeyan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/05/17 at 01:06:40
Post Tools
TN wrote on 09/03/17 at 01:23:53:
The fastest way I have found is to play the variation in blitz (training games would be necessary for quite specific variations), check the games afterwards and work through the LiveBook variations, finding improvements or at least alternatives along the way. But that assumes you already have a high level - for the majority of players, having a book/coach explain the early and middlegame ideas would probably be more useful.

The problem I've found with practicing openings in blitz is that the variations played skew towards the rare and unsound. I started playing the French without consulting any books at first, and from the 500 or so blitz games I've played with it so far the most common variations are 1.e4 e6 2.f4 and 1.e4 e6 2.Nf3

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/03/17 at 01:23:53
Post Tools
The fastest way I have found is to play the variation in blitz (training games would be necessary for quite specific variations), check the games afterwards and work through the LiveBook variations, finding improvements or at least alternatives along the way. But that assumes you already have a high level - for the majority of players, having a book/coach explain the early and middlegame ideas would probably be more useful.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Fastest way to learn a new opening
09/02/17 at 17:29:48
Post Tools
I am sure we can all contribute to this one.

What methods do you use to learn a new opening when you don't play it all? (For example switching from 1. e4 e5 to the sicilian).

What about when you want to learn a new branch of an opening like Kan to Najdorf?

My things are to:

1) Consult MCO to get a flavor of positions.
2) Quickly play through a bunch of games (famous ones if I can find them, recent GM games via twic or correspondence).
3) Buy a better reviewed book just to skim to build my understanding.
4) Try it out in blitz & correspondence.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo