Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Popularity of 7. Dg4 0-0 in Main Line Winawer (Read 727 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Popularity of 7. Dg4 0-0 in Main Line Winawer
Reply #7 - 10/25/17 at 09:39:03
Post Tools
I think Watson's point is that the queen quite often ends on e8 anyway (in some lines): c7 -> f7 -> e8 when attacked by a knight on g5.

So it might be as good on d8 as it is on f7.

You'd have to analyse/count tempi very carefully I suppose.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky
YaBB Newbies

Партия Ленина, сила народная!

Reply #6 - 10/25/17 at 00:56:00
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 10/24/17 at 17:15:22:
Clearly blasphemy Smiley

That being said there might well be some point to putting the queen on e8.

Have a nice day.

I do not know if this is confirmed or not, but in my understanding, if the Queen eyes h5, then that means that White has to take with the Rook to get an attack after h5 gxh5 since Qxh5 exchanges queens. If needed, Black can also play ...Tf5. Then of course the Queen can switch to go to a4 if White decides to quit the h4-h5 plan.

ReneDescartes wrote on 10/24/17 at 01:52:17:
I guess most players think of it as "White gets to attack my cramped king now, sounds like not much fun." I bet you're having success with it though.

But then you got the super popular Najdorf Poisoned Pawn where Black grabs the b2-pawn and suffers for 40 moves under a fairly scary attack to draw.

Funnily, when I played 1. e4 a decade ago, the very few times someone played 7...0-0 against me, I usually lost. Which is another reason I find it odd--if White's attack fails, Black simply is fine positionally, and the ...b5-b4 plan can be quite dangerous if White ends up diddling around.

Confused_by_Theory wrote on 10/13/17 at 16:03:11:
Hello.

I think Negis "Grandmaster Repertoire - 1.e4 vs The French, Caro-Kann and Philidor" is pretty much a great book and perhaps especially the french chapters.

Have a nice day.

A good book of course, but from the White point of view. It is not discouraging me from playing 7...0-0 though. I just use it mostly to find out what White players might be preparing.

kylemeister wrote on 10/13/17 at 06:10:13:
I notice that Chess Publishing has addressed 7...0-0 a dozen times since Berg's book, which is perhaps nothing to be sneezed at.

Berg's book is great, and I think a big volume book by any publisher on either a repertoire for Black or at least current theory on all three lines 13...Df7, 13...Ad7 and the topical 13...b5 would be very nice.

If I understand correctly so far, Black has counterplay in all lines. I subscribe to CP, but I would like at least as much coverage for 7...0-0 as the Poisoned Pawn. Or maybe that is just my bias  Wink

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 10/24/17 at 17:15:22
Post Tools
Hi.

kylemeister wrote on 10/24/17 at 07:55:17:
I noticed that the latest update (the 13th addressing this subject since the Berg book if I counted correctly) regarded 8. Bd3 c4 as okay, though to my knowledge it has been regarded as "?!" and as leading to ±.  Blasphemy?  Discuss!
Smiley

Clearly blasphemy Smiley

That being said there might well be some point to putting the queen on e8.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 10/24/17 at 07:55:17
Post Tools
I noticed that the latest update (the 13th addressing this subject since the Berg book if I counted correctly) regarded 8. Bd3 c4 as okay, though to my knowledge it has been regarded as "?!" and as leading to ±.  Blasphemy?  Discuss!
Smiley

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #3 - 10/24/17 at 01:52:17
Post Tools
I guess most players think of it as "White gets to attack my cramped king now, sounds like not much fun." I bet you're having success with it though.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 10/13/17 at 16:03:11
Post Tools
Hello.

I think Negis "Grandmaster Repertoire - 1.e4 vs The French, Caro-Kann and Philidor" is pretty much a great book and perhaps especially the french chapters.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 10/13/17 at 06:10:13
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 10/13/17 at 00:26:37:
Not to mention there is not much study material lately of 7...0-0 besides Berg's repertoire book.

I notice that Chess Publishing has addressed 7...0-0 a dozen times since Berg's book, which is perhaps nothing to be sneezed at.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky
YaBB Newbies

Партия Ленина, сила народная!

Popularity of 7. Dg4 0-0 in Main Line Winawer
10/13/17 at 00:26:37
Post Tools
Over the past few years, I have noticed that the Poisoned Pawn is chosen by Black players of the Winawer more than 7...0-0. Is there a reason for this, when 7...0-0 line is more solid and stable ?

It is true that in the database, there are still many games with 7...0-0, but I find for example in many tournaments where I go, I seem to be the only one playing 7...0-0. Not to mention there is not much study material lately of 7...0-0 besides Berg's repertoire book.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo