Latest Updates:
Normal Topic ChessBase 14 - to see move order for position? (Read 1193 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: ChessBase 14 - to see move order for position?
Reply #9 - 03/07/18 at 09:08:57
Post Tools
Wheel-mouse activated, thanks! Smiley

The pgn-issue: I've downloaded the files to a subfolder of downloads (I subscribe to three sections here, each has a subfolder in downloads with all.pgn in it. Then each update is put in the correct subfolder and later added to all.pgn)

I may have found a workaround, if I open the file via CB14's open database command it seems to work, while going to the folder and opening the file by clicking activates CB14's useless pgnfile...

Every game you open is already saved to History so why waste space by saving every pgn database you open?  Roll Eyes and I have some large pgn databases too, shared with other nonCB programs - I hope that opening a 200MB pgn file five times wouldn't result in a 1GB My PGN Downloads! Cheesy

But maybe I could just move the folders from Downloads and CB will stop its nonsense?! I'll try that next update. Smiley

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #8 - 03/07/18 at 08:54:24
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/07/18 at 03:23:11:
When I use Alt+Q it toggles the list through a few view modes, but for me the notation always starts from move one. That's probably because of the way I set my filter. Right-click on the list and click List Format. The "Moves Only" format is one of the modes that Alt+Q toggles, and is probably the one you are referring to. They have changed the shortcut for Start move to Ctrl+J. See if after you filter your games list they have set the Start move to something higher than one. If so, setting it back to one might restore the old behavior.

I tried this out but it does not solve the issue (I am using the Fritz 15 interface which deviates from other releases or the Chessbase interface). The Start move only has impact on the toggle notation footer and not on the table itself. I want via the table to get an instant view of all different move-orders so without having to check each game individually.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #7 - 03/07/18 at 03:23:11
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 10/28/17 at 19:06:24:
In the old Fritz interface you could use the shortkey ALT+Q to get from a list of filtered games immediately the full list of moves. That way you saw in one glance which move-orders are known from practice to get into one position.

However in the most recent Fritz interface Chessbase decided to adapt the output of that same shortkey. Instead of the full list of moves only the moves after the chosen keyposition are shown. This has as big advantage that now it is much easier to see what happens after. Unfortunately it is not possible anymore to see in one glance all the played move-orders. So Chessbase chose to focus on the future instead of the past which makes sense to me. Still I would've liked that the developers would've kept also the old option which was something pretty easy to achieve.

So today if you want to know the different move-orders played towards a chosen position then you need to spend a bit more time. You can open each game separately in a viewer or you can prepare a pgn which then can be read quickly via e.g. notepad. The pgn also allows to quickly copy paste moves into other files which I believe was another request from the poster.

I can't even find Alt+Q in the recent manual. In my ChessBase 1.1 manual there is:

Quote:
Keyboard functions in the list windows
  • Alt+Q  Switch between game data and moves
  • Alt+J  Start move (for display and loading)

When I use Alt+Q it toggles the list through a few view modes, but for me the notation always starts from move one. That's probably because of the way I set my filter. Right-click on the list and click List Format. The "Moves Only" format is one of the modes that Alt+Q toggles, and is probably the one you are referring to. They have changed the shortcut for Start move to Ctrl+J. See if after you filter your games list they have set the Start move to something higher than one. If so, setting it back to one might restore the old behavior.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 03/07/18 at 01:59:59
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/06/18 at 23:42:30:
1) when I try to open a pgn-file CB14 instead opens another pgn-file called My PGN Downloads containing the games of the file I was trying to open and if I try to open it three times the new file gets three copies of every game but still won't open the file I want to open.  Angry I've deleted the file but it keeps coming back... All I want to do is open the file I want to open and drag it to be copied to another database specific for the content. Can My PGN Downloads be turned off somewhere?

I assume you are actually downloading a PGN? When I do that, I get the behavior you describe. But I never did that before. When I click on a .PGN url, I get the option to open or save, and I always choose save. Then when I open the local file I get the behavior you want - My PGN Downloads is not invoked. I doubt My PGN Downloads could be turned off. The old way was for the program to save the .PGN in the temp folder and open that. It makes sense that they would completely remove that functionality when they changed to the new way.
Edited:
I take back that last part. I actually found the downloaded .pgn in one of the temp folders, so ChessBase could just as easily have opened that .pgn in the database window (the old way), as copy the games into MyPGNDownloads.cbh (their current system).

TalJechin wrote on 03/06/18 at 23:42:30:
2) Before in CB9 I navigated games with the wheel mouse - can that be turned on somewhere in CB 14 too?

http://help.chessbase.com/cb14-eng.pdf , search for "mouse", the very first hit on page 23 says:

Quote:
Mousewheel
If you would like to navigate quickly through the notation of a game, you can do so very quickly with the mouse wheel.
You can activate this function via Menu File – Options– Misc. – Mouse wheel executes moves

But I cannot test this since I don't have a mouse wheel.
« Last Edit: 03/07/18 at 04:08:46 by an ordinary chessplayer »  

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #5 - 03/06/18 at 23:42:30
Post Tools
I've recently bought CB 14 - so far I have only two annoyances that perhaps someone here may know how to fix?

1) when I try to open a pgn-file CB14 instead opens another pgn-file called My PGN Downloads containing the games of the file I was trying to open and if I try to open it three times the new file gets three copies of every game but still won't open the file I want to open.  Angry I've deleted the file but it keeps coming back... All I want to do is open the file I want to open and drag it to be copied to another database specific for the content. Can My PGN Downloads be turned off somewhere?

2) Before in CB9 I navigated games with the wheel mouse - can that be turned on somewhere in CB 14 too?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/17 at 19:44:41
Post Tools
I have wondered if this move-order business is a common source of confusion.  For instance, the other day I was looking at some online annotations by GM Reinderman to a game of the Van Foreest-Adhiban match.  After 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dc 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 e6 5.Bxc4 c5 6.O-O Nc6 7. Qe2 a6 8.Nc3 he wrote that it is more customary to prevent ...b5 with 8. a4.  I thought, really, transposing into that old main line?  I wouldn't have thought that that is the most usual (or critical).

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #3 - 10/28/17 at 19:06:24
Post Tools
In the old Fritz interface you could use the shortkey ALT+Q to get from a list of filtered games immediately the full list of moves. That way you saw in one glance which move-orders are known from practice to get into one position.

However in the most recent Fritz interface Chessbase decided to adapt the output of that same shortkey. Instead of the full list of moves only the moves after the chosen keyposition are shown. This has as big advantage that now it is much easier to see what happens after. Unfortunately it is not possible anymore to see in one glance all the played move-orders. So Chessbase chose to focus on the future instead of the past which makes sense to me. Still I would've liked that the developers would've kept also the old option which was something pretty easy to achieve.

So today if you want to know the different move-orders played towards a chosen position then you need to spend a bit more time. You can open each game separately in a viewer or you can prepare a pgn which then can be read quickly via e.g. notepad. The pgn also allows to quickly copy paste moves into other files which I believe was another request from the poster.

IP Logged

ahu_lee
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 10/28/17 at 17:45:31
Post Tools
Nickajack, unfortunately, there seems to be no way to copy the moves from there, but it's still better than nothing. Thank you very much!

IP Logged

Nickajack
YaBB Newbies

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #1 - 10/28/17 at 05:57:01
Post Tools
You can click on the Score Sheet tab to see the moves leading up to the current position.

However, if you import another game that transposed to the current position, the original move order may differ for that particular game. You could open the other game in its own window to see its actual move order.

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

ahu_lee
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

ChessBase 14 - to see move order for position?
10/27/17 at 23:19:39
Post Tools
Sometimes when I do something with notation in CB (e.g. create or edit my repertoire and so on) I want to see the move order for the position via which it was reached. Like in the Personal Opening Guide tool of Lucas Chess, for example. Is it possible in ChessBase?

Thank you so much.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo