Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Max v Magnus (Read 6277 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Max v Magnus
Reply #15 - 12/04/17 at 16:18:23
Post Tools
I don't think that anyone cares what the "chess community" thinks.  This guy got what he was after, i.e. increased notoriety, exposure, clicks, and vindication for whatever it is that he's doing/selling.  The mere fact that he was able to play against the World Champion (and then spin the outcome however he wants) comes across to his fans (or even the casual observer) as a win of some kind.  "He couldn't quite defeat the world champion, but wow!  Look at how far he got in one month." 

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 12/04/17 at 01:46:20
Post Tools
I read an article that stated he was winning in the opening, which is laughable, and that at one point Magnus looked nervous. I doubt Magnus actually entertained the idea that the guy created software as strong as he claimed.

IP Logged

BigTy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 12/03/17 at 23:55:02
Post Tools
Con on not, I think he has deservedly become the laughing stock of the chess community.

Unfortunately, due to the media, those who know nothing about chess may be led to believe that he actually had a chance.  Angry

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 12/03/17 at 23:42:27
Post Tools
I'm leaning towards believing his whole speed learner persona is nothing but self promotion fakery, and his previous one-month challenges involved either rigging or faking the demonstrations, or doing things he was already able to do to begin with. 

All his talk about a magical software algorithm that's both powerful enough to beat Magnus and yet simple enough that he can somehow memorise and replicate it OTB, is too facile a notion to convince anyone with the degree of intelligence or erudition he's claiming, so the only conclusion I can draw is that it's PR nonsense designed to bamboozle the majority who know nothing about chess or computing.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #11 - 11/21/17 at 15:37:56
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 11/21/17 at 15:23:38:
Wondering if this wasn't just a con that went bad.  He probably would have claimed to have beaten the Play Magnus app -- his original intention -- but the WSJ crossed him up by arranging the real thing.  #1 rule of the con:  never break character.  He must have known that he had no chance.  And now, to keep up appearances, he claims he didn't put in enough time.

Give me a break.

Judging from reading the posts he wrote about this month and glancing at some other writings, I'd be really surprised if this was intended to be a con. He wrote at length about 11 other attempts to master skills in one month, some more successful than others, with lots of documentation detailing his successes and failures along the way. I think he just had (and apparently still does) a very very optimistic take on this particular challenge.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 11/21/17 at 15:23:38
Post Tools
Wondering if this wasn't just a con that went bad.  He probably would have claimed to have beaten the Play Magnus app -- his original intention -- but the WSJ crossed him up by arranging the real thing.  #1 rule of the con:  never break character.  He must have known that he had no chance.  And now, to keep up appearances, he claims he didn't put in enough time.

Give me a break.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #9 - 11/21/17 at 14:59:16
Post Tools
It's narcissistic, and he got the attention and clicks (and presumably revenue) that he was after. 

I'm disappointed that Magnus even agreed to the game; clearly Max was going to twist it into some kind of achievement or pseudo-victory for himself no matter the outcome, and I didn't notice any particular respect or thanks shown by Max in any of his writings.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 11/21/17 at 14:54:25
Post Tools
Haha that link from kylemeister was entertaining: "I committed 34 hours to the pursuit of defeating Magnus. It turns out that 34 hours isn’t quite enough, but, knowing what I know now, I don’t think it’s too far off." Sure thing buddy...

I suspect he should have made the challenge 'defeat a chess master' rather than the world champion. I can imagine after a month of training he might score a victory in a blitz match against a weak master of some sort, especially if you include national master titles. Beating Magnus is completely out of line with his other challenges, like 'do a back-flip', 'freestyle rap for 3 minutes' and 'draw a self portrait'...

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #7 - 11/21/17 at 13:36:21
Post Tools
Sounds like Narcissus vs Alexander the Great.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #6 - 11/21/17 at 12:15:36
Post Tools
Here is someone whose wish is to make a circus show out of his own brains. Does he love that? Magnus loves chess.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #5 - 11/21/17 at 07:46:00
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 11/20/17 at 22:26:14:
Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported that Max Deutsch, a 25 year-old speed learner, studied chess for a month and then took on Magnus Carlsen in an exhibition game. 

Needless to say, Magnus crushed the guy.   Cheesy

Hey, no spoilers!  Angry

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #4 - 11/21/17 at 02:14:43
Post Tools
He's no Michael de la Maza.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 11/21/17 at 01:57:49
Post Tools
But just give Deutsch three months of putting in some serious time (instead of 50 minutes a day or something), and he's taking Magnus down!

https://medium.com/@maxdeutsch/m2m-day-381-34-hours-later-b22099da94b1

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 11/21/17 at 01:26:51
Post Tools
A better test would be to take a supersmart novice, subject them to a month of non-stop chess, enter them in some local tournaments, and see what kind of a rating they could achieve. 

Take Mr. Deutsch, for example.  Instead of setting himself the challenge of beating the world champion in chess, what if he had posed himself the challenge of trying to achieve a certain FIDE rating in a month.   What would be realistic?  1600, 1700, 1800? 

Mr. Deutsch wasn't starting from a standing stop.  I think he had at least played before.  But, even so, I wouldn't think that, with just a month of study, he could hit, say, 2000.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 11/20/17 at 23:03:29
Post Tools
Yes, that didn't quite work out for the superlearner.

It's an interesting concept though. How would each of us go about trying for maximum improvement over just one month?

Does improvement over such a short time span even make sense? I believe it does. You might take some shortcuts that turn out to be less optimal for the long run, but more importantly you're forcing yourself to have concrete, personalized improvement goals behind all the training you do for that month.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo