Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Exchange Variation in Opening Repertoire ...c6? (Read 7186 times)
AlekseiNK
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Exchange Variation in Opening Repertoire ...c6?
Reply #5 - 11/28/17 at 06:58:46
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 11/27/17 at 16:07:22:
Virosax wrote on 11/26/17 at 22:09:05:
If you were looking for a book on the Caro Kann then Chess Stars have just released a book on the Caro Kann by Kornev. I would imagine this would be a good place to start.

It has just been stated on the QC-blog that Kornev in his new book has nothing to say about Shaw´s suggestion against the Caro-Kann in "Playing 1.e4 vol. 1", a book that has been on the market for more than 1 year!

So I´m not sure how good his effort really is.

Writing a book takes a long time. And at that time, I was not familiar with the book "Playing 1.e4 vol. 1".

To prove the superiority of white Shaw leads weak moves for Black. For example,

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/27/17 at 16:07:22
Post Tools
Virosax wrote on 11/26/17 at 22:09:05:
If you were looking for a book on the Caro Kann then Chess Stars have just released a book on the Caro Kann by Kornev. I would imagine this would be a good place to start.

It has just been stated on the QC-blog that Kornev in his new book has nothing to say about Shaw´s suggestion against the Caro-Kann in "Playing 1.e4 vol. 1", a book that has been on the market for more than 1 year!

So I´m not sure how good his effort really is.

IP Logged

Virosax
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/26/17 at 22:09:05
Post Tools
I have the 1..c6 book by Lakdawala. The mainline Exchange variation given is 1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 exd5 cxd5 4 Bd3 Nc6 5 c3 Qc7, with the Bf4 line as a sideline. The main gain features the mainline. However, I have a few problems with this book. I like Lakdawala when he talks about chess as he makes some very good points, but the problem is you have to go through all of his waffle to get to the chess. For me, the waffle becomes VERY tedious and starts to put me off.

Another problem is that there are gaps everywhere in the book. For example, Negi's suggestion in the mainline Caro Kann I don't think is covered. In the English solution, one of the best scoring lines for white (and a mainline) is not covered too. There is another line in the Slav mentioned by Simon Williams in his white repertoire 1 d4 dvds that is also not covered (involving Nd2/Ne4/Nd6 ideas). I think there are others but you get the picture.

If you were looking for a book on the Caro Kann then Chess Stars have just released a book on the Caro Kann by Kornev. I would imagine this would be a good place to start. I know that the Everyman books are not supposed to be encyclopediac and are more of an introduction but some of the things mentioned above put me off a little.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 11/24/17 at 23:39:11
Post Tools
Random non-Caro-Kann observation:

I looked at the excerpt for this book. In both the contents and the introduction they're talking about the Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bh4 as "the Moscow Gambit", while there's another chapter on "The Anti-Moscow", presumably dealing with the alternative 5...h6 6.Bxf6.

But surely this is backwards? I've hardly played this from either side, but even I know that 6.Bxf6 is the Moscow Variation while 6.Bh4 is the Anti-Moscow Gambit. I would expect an expert on the Semi-Slav (and an Everyman editor, for that matter) to know this.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

h4rl3k1n
YaBB Newbies

FM

Reply #1 - 11/24/17 at 22:17:36
Post Tools
The main line in the book goes 4. Bd3 and I have no idea why the index only gives 4. Bf4.
The coverage of the whole exchange variation is only pages 186-191 (which equals one annotated game), so I wouldn't call it a chapter. The author mentions his former "The Caro-Kann: Move by Move" and indeed there is considerably deeper coverage.
This ...c6-book really doesn't give an up to date repertoire. I consider it a collection of games which show you how to handle the ...c6 middlegames.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Exchange Variation in Opening Repertoire ...c6?
11/23/17 at 12:29:49
Post Tools
From the Index of Variations it seems there is no "Exchange Variation" section, but only 4.Bf4. I find that rather strange. Anyone who owns/knows the book can clarify?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo