Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Modernised Reti by Demuth (Read 51860 times)
Andrechanel
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The Modernised Reti by Demuth
Reply #34 - 02/11/18 at 22:59:02
Post Tools
Vs 2) c4 d4 ... i've heard He advocated  Da4+ and agaisnt 2) dxc4 what reccomended?  Is it possibile have some feedback about this two variations his suggest .In previous delchev's book the modern reti is advocated Bb5+ e no da4+ , but delchev's variation has been confuteted and the plan agaisnt dxc4 i believe is not so powerful as He suggest. Another lines that in previous work not mentioned was 2)c4 d4 3) b4 ag4 that was zero theory. Demuth suggest something about that? Th
[url][/url]

IP Logged

califax
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 01/31/18 at 12:17:13
Post Tools
Thx, again, pioleiva.

I've got the Demuth's book and the content looks good. But as mentioned it could have been edited better. The table of contents simply lacks more details to find things, and you have to know what the 'Romanishin defence' is for instance. I was interested in the normal setup (besides early d3 variations) vs. the stonewall when the chapter "Dutch defense" (19) only deals with the Leningrad in that regard, suggesting that the stonewall was already discussed via 1...e6 move order earlier in the book. Only after some research you realise that this move order is dealt with later in the book (not earlier) in a chapter "Various first moves" (20). And there is still no Stonewall, but in a sidenote you finally get the hint to search in a sub chapter of the Slav. While this is not a totally unusual place for it (Watson has it as well via such a move order), it's really hard to get there.

Regarding the Grunfeld line here a quote from the excerpt:
"After dealing thoroughly with the various sidelines, we will eventually
work our way up to the big main line arising after 9...Re8 (variation E of Chapter 4). In GM 2 I offered 10.Re1, but a huge amount of practical testing and analysis has revealed more than one
satisfactory solution for Black. Instead I am recommending 10.Nh4!?, a recent trend which has yielded excellent results so far. Once again, I have presented a lot of original ideas and analysis to
create fresh problems for Black."

After all he seems to have some good fresh recommendations. The Grunfeld sources I've checked for instance don't deal properly with his early 5.Qa4 against the solid Grunfeld with ...c6. Svidler and Avrukh himself came closest, but naturally enough did not discuss White's improvements at that time. Still I wonder, why QC sticks to the "White has an advantage in every line" paradigm, when even Ntirlis repeats it discussing the video (he says something like "Can Black equalize in the Grunfeld/King's Indian? Given Avrukh's lines, I don't thin so."). As you said there was an astonishing number of fairly harmless lines in GM 1 and 2 including Grunfeld, Panno, Slav, Catalan, Benoni, some Stonewall setups etc. So it is to be expected Black will find antidotes. "e3 poison" btw does not follow this and doesn't claim an advantage everywhere.

IP Logged

pioleiva
YaBB Newbies

Those who dont move dont
feel their freedom...

Reply #32 - 01/24/18 at 10:52:53
Post Tools
@Canadian Club
I am rated about 2180 at the moment, my peak was 2270 some years ago.

@Califax
The stem game of this Grunfeld line is Leitao-Caruana from the 2010 Olympiad. Back then there were a lot of games with this specific line of the Grunfeld.

White can deviate earlier of course, with 12.Nd2 for example, but as Nepomniachi, Vachier-Lagrave and (again) Caruana demonstrated, Black is fine here too.

I am sure Avrukh avoids this line now.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #31 - 01/24/18 at 08:27:30
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 01/23/18 at 23:15:00:
In some contexts answering a question about Elo would be fine. In this context it seems awkward. Suppose he is a world-class GM, or suppose he has a 3-digit rating, either way how could it add to or detract from his review? Which by the way is excellent and makes me want to get yet another opening book I will not have time to read.

If he/she is a GM, he can say "I am a titled player who play basically against FM/IM/GM opposition" and this is fine for me.

It is not the same if this comments are done by an IM 2400 or by a 1800 amateur (like I am myself), even if it seems that his strength is far better than mine.

Back to the book, I am playing a team tournament right now; but when it would be finished... I think I will get a copy of the book. Especially thanks to PioLeiva words.

Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #30 - 01/23/18 at 23:15:00
Post Tools
In some contexts answering a question about Elo would be fine. In this context it seems awkward. Suppose he is a world-class GM, or suppose he has a 3-digit rating, either way how could it add to or detract from his review? Which by the way is excellent and makes me want to get yet another opening book I will not have time to read.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #29 - 01/23/18 at 08:26:49
Post Tools
Many thx, pioleiva, great review/pov !!

One single question to you: what is your actual level (in elo)?

I play and ambitious (I think it is) 1.d4 repertoire as White but I am starting to play the Reti here and there (1.Nf3 2.c4) to vary a little. Your comments seems to fit perfectly with my expectations of a repertoire book. But it would interesting to know your level (more or less) to contextualize a little the profit we can get from it  Smiley

Again, thx !

IP Logged

califax
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 01/22/18 at 16:27:13
Post Tools
Many thanks, pioleiva, for a really good overview.

I agree with you on Avrukh and what you write about Demuth's makes me looking forward to the book.

Btw., what is the famous Grunfeld Line in Avrukh's first book? I've just ordered 2A and will have a look, how he handles it now.

IP Logged

pioleiva
YaBB Newbies

Those who dont move dont
feel their freedom...

Reply #27 - 01/22/18 at 13:10:41
Post Tools
My5 cents on this book:

1.general observations
The English is bad (even for my non-native speaking standards), but at least for me the meaning is always clear.

Some headlines are mistaken: e.g. chapter 2 is titled "Systems with 2...dxc4", but that is wrong. Systems with 2...dxc4 are treated from page 205 onwards. The second chapter treats lines with 2....e6 and dxc4 at a later stage of the game (which makes a lot of sense, as the 2....dxc4 lines are very different).

To summarize: a thorough editing would have helped a lot.

2. the chess content

I am really enjoying this book!

The author is very objective and ambitious at the same time. That leads to a very balanced and objective coverage.

The author clearly states that he has not refuted any of the major black systems against the Réti. Neither the Hedgehog, nor the e6 nor c6 defenses. He even makes the case that 2....dxc4 is much better for black than recent Reti literature claims e.g. (Delchev or Bologan).
He usually explains the choice of his lines by highlighting the weak spots in other popular lines.

At the same time he shares many novelties and new ideas for White (of course)and Black. And he always seems to seek an objective evaluation, not sheering away to mention black antidotes to his improvals for White.

I am still surprised that he managed to offer a coherent and almost complete repertoire in one book. So far I have not discovered any move order issues, his selected lines fit together very nicely.

At some points he cuts the coverage saying something like: "You are very unlikely to have this position on the board, that is why I restrict myself to mentioing only the best possibilities for Black". So this is clearly a book concentrating on the

The repertoire lines chosen are not a "system approach". In some lines white has to sacrifice pawns in order to fight for the initiative (e.g. Slav lines), in others he plays calmy with a double fianchetto (e.g. symmetrical or Hedgehog). In some lines he tries to get an advantage in simple positions (e.g. some lines of the symmetrical), in other lines White has to play a full-blooded middlegame with all pieces on the board (e.g. reversed Benoni or Neo-Catalan Mainline). Sometimes White even tries to blow Black off the board (e.g. against the Stonewall or the Dutch in general or the reversed Blumenfeld Gambit). So to make the most of this repertoire you should have a flexible playing style. In my eyes this is a "real" GM-repertoire (actually the one Demuth very often plays himself).

What can I say about some specific lines?

Well, the weak spot of this repertoire clearly is the Kings Indian defence. His main recommendation is 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.b3. While this system has some sting to it (and Demuths provides lots of new ideas for White), this is the only time in the book where Black can suck the life out of the position, as one of Demuths mainlines ends in an absolutely equal position and it is even White who has to be careful to get there as there are tactical pitfalls along the way. True, this line is almost never played, but still...

As Demuth is fully aware of this problem, he covers the Anti-Grunfeld line 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 Qb3 with some nice new ideas , but he does not give a mainline against the King's Indian.

I especially like the way he treats the Hedgehog. He shows clear guidelines in this maze of move-orders and shows that black has to be very precise in order to avoid a (slightly) worse position.

As it is the backbone of his repertoire, the Neo-Catalan mainline could have seen deeper coverage in my opinion.

To summarize:
This is clearly a book for the practical player.
If you are looking for a book that claims an advantage for White in most of the lines, you will be disappointed. In fact a lot his mainlines end with equality in a complex position.

I have to add something in the end:

I enjoyed this book much more than Avrukhs work on 1.d4. Let me elaborate: Avrukh obviously has put a lot of effort in his d4 bible (overall a great book) and he found many interesting novelties. But already back then  I never believed that White is better everywhere because of his novelties. But suddenly according to his books White had an edge in all the mainlines: the Catalan, the King's Indian, the Grunfeld, the Slav and so on. It was no surprise for me that huge parts of his repertoire were neutralized quickly (e.g. in the Slav or the King's Indian) or even got completely refuted (e.g. the famous Grunfeld line that is simply better for black).
I almost felt cheated after reading Avrukh: I was sure I cannot believe all his conclusions, but I am too weak a player to detect which ones were shaky and where he really discovered something leading to a better position for white.

Demuths work is not as detailed as Avrukhs, but he really goes one step further: he shows new ideas for White and very often in turn also shows the antidote for black.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 01/21/18 at 19:40:32
Post Tools
There is a fair amount of explanation, I think it is a good general background for the Reti and openings that occur when you try to get a Reti. I think it is a very good first book, the English is fluent but not hugely idiomatic. He does often give reasons and he is not above giving an evaluation of equal about some lines.
There are about 30 pages on the Hedgehog if that helps TonyRo.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #25 - 01/21/18 at 19:21:01
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/21/18 at 19:02:52:
Am I missing something, or does he not cover the double fianchetto Hedgehog anywhere?

He analyses what he calls the reversed Double Fianchetto system, that is 4 fianchettos. I hope that answers your question, I am no expert of the Hedgehog.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #24 - 01/21/18 at 19:02:52
Post Tools
Am I missing something, or does he not cover the double fianchetto Hedgehog anywhere?

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 01/21/18 at 17:44:01
Post Tools
Pawnpusher wrote on 01/12/18 at 00:45:29:
I have the book also if anyone has questions that I can answer. I think it is a good source, lots of text and Demuth seems pretty objective.

I'd like to know if is there a lot of verbal explanation of the typical plans and ideas, tactical themes, etc. and also if the book can be considered some sort of "battle manual" for White...

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #22 - 01/13/18 at 10:36:38
Post Tools
pirc kid wrote on 01/12/18 at 14:42:39:
what is Demuth suggesting against 1...d6 and 1...g6 ?

Against 1...d6 he plays 2.d4 and against 1...g6 2.e4.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 01/12/18 at 20:19:02
Post Tools
He really doesn't cover 1....d6, and there are chapters about anti King's Indian and anti Grunfeld sequences, he recommends a queenside fianchetto against the King's Indian. He pretty well just recommends a standard sort of approach to counter the Grunfeld, though I haven't really gone through those chapters in detail.

IP Logged

pirc kid
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 01/12/18 at 14:42:39
Post Tools
what is Demuth suggesting against 1...d6 and 1...g6 ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo