Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Are "winning" and "beating" a bit out of fashion? (Read 250 times)
BigTy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Are "winning" and "beating" a bit out of fashion?
Reply #3 - 11/30/17 at 04:17:48
Post Tools
I have not read any chess books with `modernized` in the title, but after reading about the Modernized Open Sicilian and Modernized KID books, my impression is that they are about playing these openings in a more `modern` way, if that makes sense...

For example, if I recall correctly, the Open Sicilian book (for White) recommends 6.h3 against the Najdorf and some fianchetto stuff against the e6 sicilians, instead of the English Attack, 6.Bg5, or more `traditional` mainlines. Likewise, I think the KID book (for Black) proposes more of an open-centre approach in the mainlines, instead of the usual closing of the centre with f5-f4, followed by putting everything into a direct mating attack, while allowing the queenside to crumble.

Maybe I am wrong, but this rather less traditional way of playing these openings is what I think the titles of these books are getting at.

IP Logged

IM_Serious
YaBB Newbies

Bibliophile

Reply #2 - 11/30/17 at 02:49:08
Post Tools
Sedlak - Winning with the Modern London System, 2016

Mikhalevski - Beating Minor Openings, 2016

Kotronias - Beating the Anti-Sicilians, 2015

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 11/29/17 at 23:06:55
Post Tools
Maybe the guy who said "We're gonna win so much, you'll be sick and tired of winning!" turned out to be right  Tongue

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Are "winning" and "beating" a bit out of fashion?
11/29/17 at 20:43:41
Post Tools
Am I the only one noticing a new fashion in chess opening book titles? The incredibly popular, some time ago, "Winning" and "Beating" are no longer that popular, most recent books containing "modern", "modernised" and similar, instead?  Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo