Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Best/worst countries for playing chess? (Read 342 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Best/worst countries for playing chess?
Reply #3 - 12/03/17 at 22:37:48
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 12/03/17 at 20:00:49:

Yes, interesting. The "chess export" table shows France, Germany, Czech Republic and Spain are the consistent top destination countries for chess travelers (with Russia, Greece and Italy also in contention some years).

I would have guessed the same four top countries, but a bit surprised France is no. 1. I need to finally play a tournament there!

Among the countries I've played in, I've found both Germany and the Czech Republic offer a nice combination of many and strong open tournaments along with opportunities for affordable accomodation and travel. I also tried Poland a couple of times, thinking it would be much the same. But I faced way too many strong and underrated junior players there, so I have yet to manage a good performance in Poland...

P.S.: The open tournament counts in that article have to be seriously inflated. I think they may have included local club tournaments as "open" and counted each rating group in a tournament as separate tourmanents to reach such numbers.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 12/03/17 at 20:00:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #1 - 11/30/17 at 14:32:51
Post Tools
BigTy wrote on 11/30/17 at 07:05:04:
Note that I am not asking about which countries produce the best (and worst)players, but rather, which give the most (and fewest) opportunities in terms of OTB tournaments, strong clubs, number of players as a percentage of the population, etc...

Is this not the same thing? Naturally a country with a large amount of OTB tournaments, strong clubs, a high % of the population being chess players, etc, will produce the best players?

IP Logged

BigTy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Best/worst countries for playing chess?
11/30/17 at 07:05:04
Post Tools
Hi Everyone,

Just interested on your opinion regarding the best and worst countries, or cities, to live for chess players. Note that I am not asking about which countries produce the best (and worst)players, but rather, which give the most (and fewest) opportunities in terms of OTB tournaments, strong clubs, number of players as a percentage of the population, etc...

Here in Japan, where I am currently, there does not seem to be a lot of chess, especially outside of Tokyo. Most strong players know each other, and you will often see the same faces at the tournaments, regardless of where they are held.

Your thoughts?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo