Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Have you ever played the EXACT same game twice? (Read 1067 times)
nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Re: Have you ever played the EXACT same game twice?
Reply #11 - 01/13/18 at 12:52:52
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 12/10/17 at 10:31:21:
Thanks for the info Eric!

I played this line twice as black in blitz, maybe even three times.

I've never seen this played anywhere else. The inspiration for this line came from from Daniel King's book Winning with the Najdorf. He didn't actually gives this line; he showed what would happen with the moves Qd2 and ...0-0 inserted before White plays g4 (but in his line White plays exd5 instead of g5). I remember reading that part of the book and wondering what would happen if White played g4 a move earlier, so I figured out this line and thought it would be funny if White played 12.Bd2 instead of 12.Bf2. And it actually happened to me at least twice.

You got rewarded for doing your own work. Nice!

IP Logged

Monocle
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 01/13/18 at 11:47:18
Post Tools
Years ago, when I was starting out at club level, I used to play the Urusov Gambit, and I probably played the following miniature five or six times (including twice against the same opponent):

1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d4 Nxe4 4.dxe5 Be7?? 5.Qd5 1-0

Below 1600 or so, a lot of players just aren't paying attention so early in the game.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/10/17 at 10:31:21
Post Tools
Thanks for the info Eric!

I played this line twice as black in blitz, maybe even three times.

I've never seen this played anywhere else. The inspiration for this line came from from Daniel King's book Winning with the Najdorf. He didn't actually gives this line; he showed what would happen with the moves Qd2 and ...0-0 inserted before White plays g4 (but in his line White plays exd5 instead of g5). I remember reading that part of the book and wondering what would happen if White played g4 a move earlier, so I figured out this line and thought it would be funny if White played 12.Bd2 instead of 12.Bf2. And it actually happened to me at least twice.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 12/09/17 at 05:16:41
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 12/06/17 at 06:38:10:
How do you use the kvchess site to get a diagram to display? I tried and also watched a tutorial but when I paste it, it just shows all the code it generated instead of displaying the board.

You don't have to do anything special. Simply enter the moves into a database, then copy the game to your clipboard. Then here on Chesspub, click the PGN button and paste your game (Ctrl-V) between the PGN and \PGN brackets.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #7 - 12/09/17 at 03:22:55
Post Tools
I once saw someone win virtually the same sharp and tactical game of some 25-30 moves twice as Black – in the same tournament, only a few days apart!

Obviously his second opponent hadn't been paying attention to all the games going on. But it's still incredible to get that so close in time, among decent players all somewhere between 2000 and 2300.

An article was published on it in the tournament bulletin, with appropriate quotes from the John Fogerty song "Deja Vu All Over Again".  Grin

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/06/17 at 06:38:10
Post Tools
How do you use the kvchess site to get a diagram to display? I tried and also watched a tutorial but when I paste it, it just shows all the code it generated instead of displaying the board.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 12/05/17 at 15:27:02
Post Tools
There are definitely some lines in the Samisch King's Indian where I've won with the exact same h-file attack (normally against the Byrne variation with early castling), but only in blitz.  I can't find duplicate games in over-the-board at all, or really any that get very close for me.

I do get a fair number of "large positional advantage" type positions that I can win on autopilot with the same basic plans, but not the exact same game.

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #4 - 12/05/17 at 09:47:46
Post Tools
Yes, especially as black in the French exchange, closed with ...0-0, to a draw.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #3 - 12/05/17 at 09:30:32
Post Tools
When I played the Dragon I sometimes won in the most forcing lines in games with the exact idential moves and seqvens but with different opponents. So I say i depends of the opening like if there are some sort of trap when the moves are forced.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #2 - 12/05/17 at 07:54:03
Post Tools

I was out book at move 10 but I was not surprised afterwards to find out that the game was already played before. The idea is very well known in the Dragon.

There are thousands of identical games in the megadatabase played sometimes even between the same players (often also to arrange a result). These are not doubles but real played games. In almost 100% of the cases however there is a copycat (somebody knew in advance of an existing earlier game). Only a few are pure lucky coincidences and then mostly something similar like my example.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 12/05/17 at 02:28:15
Post Tools
Yes, but only in Blitz.  Perhaps I did in over-the-board a long time ago.  Like Chris Ward wrote about in Winning with the Dragon, I won a lot of games with

And then various final moves.  That was my first "opening preparation!"

IP Logged

BigTy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Have you ever played the EXACT same game twice?
12/05/17 at 02:12:41
Post Tools
Hi Everyone,

I was just thinking about this the other day while reflecting on how deeply many opening variations have been analysed these days...

Early repetitions and forced draws aside (such as Nf3-g5-f3 when Black tries to go for the Zaitsev Variation of the Ruy Lopez), have you ever played the exact same game, move for move, more than once? Likewise, have you ever repeated someone else`s game, move for move, till the very end (presumably after memorizing some very deep opening line -- so deep that it was an entire game)? Conversely, have you ever played a game, went to analyze it after, only to find that someone else had already played the exact same game?

As far as I know, I cannot say that any of the above mentioned scenarios have been true for me, but at my level, opening theory is rarely followed for more than 15-20 moves, even in sharp lines. I do not follow high level games super closely, but would not be surprised if the same game has occured more than once there, due to the depth of opening preparation.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo