Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to Beat the Open Games by Sverre Johnsen (Read 57244 times)
MicahSmith
YaBB Newbies

Re: How to Beat the Open Games by Sverre Johnsen
Reply #26 - 04/11/18 at 22:09:35
Post Tools
I got this book about a week and a half ago and, while I haven't had the chance to look at it in great detail yet, my initial impression is that the book is excellent.

Sverre, one thing I'm simply curious about is that after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.c3 Nf6 5.d4 exd4 6.cxd4 Bb4+ 7.Bd2 is there a reason you don't recommend, or even mention, 7...Nxe4? (for those curious, the book recommends 7...Bxd2+ and covers 10...Na5 as well as 10...Nce7 if you want to avoid the repetition).

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 04/11/18 at 09:59:17
Post Tools
Sjakk1 wrote on 04/11/18 at 07:18:32:
fjd wrote on 04/11/18 at 03:08:33:
katar wrote on 04/11/18 at 01:08:51:
I noted the book includes both illustrative games and a tree regarding precise move orders.  That is a great idea.

QC have been doing that for years, no?

When I in Win with the London System (Gambit 2005) started the book with 30 annotated illustrative games and only then began the theoretical discussion, that was a relatively new concept. Combining a tree structure with complete games had of course been done before, but mostly the theory had been presented first and then the games were given as further study material.

In HtBtOG (like in Win with the Stonewall Dutch), the games have been split, so that there is one "Memorable game" at the start of each chapter. This I did mostly because the positions that can arise after 1 e4 e5 are so diverse that it's hard to say anything useful that applies to all. Another reason is the fact that I leave it more to the reader to pick his repertoire with some major choices like 3...Nf6 or 3...Bc5 against the Italian (but with the advice for the inexperienced student to have at least a brief look at all of Black's major options).

Despite my concerns around the layout of gambit books, i have several of yours because i find the explanations you give to be really easy to understand for a player of my limited ability.

For example I have considered playing the london as my regular opening several times over the last few years and I found your book really helpful in getting me confident enough to play it so quickly through those introductory games at the start of the book. I wish it was a structure more widely found across chess books.

I've ordered this one now and am really looking forward to it. Like many players i have an urge to return to play 1...e5 as i did when i first started playing the game (but never had a clue on openings back then) in order to improve ala Markovic's doctrine (and because Katar's enthusiasm can be somewhat infectious  Wink) but have never been confident enough to pull the trigger...

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #24 - 04/11/18 at 07:18:32
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 04/11/18 at 03:08:33:
I noted the book includes both illustrative games and a tree regarding precise move orders.  That is a great idea.

When I in Win with the London System (Gambit 2005) started the book with 30 annotated illustrative games and only then began the theoretical discussion, that was a relatively new concept. Combining a tree structure with complete games had of course been done before, but mostly the theory had been presented first and then the games were given as further study material.

In HtBtOG (like in Win with the Stonewall Dutch), the games have been split, so that there is one "Memorable game" at the start of each chapter. This I did mostly because the positions that can arise after 1 e4 e5 are so diverse that it's hard to say anything useful that applies to all. Another reason is the fact that I leave it more to the reader to pick his repertoire with some major choices like 3...Nf6 or 3...Bc5 against the Italian (but with the advice for the inexperienced student to have at least a brief look at all of Black's major options).

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - 04/11/18 at 07:02:08
Post Tools
Quote:
It is too bad the author's introduction is not part of the PDF sample.  I was wondering how the new Johnsen book distinguishes itself from other good books on the same subject by Bologan, Lokander, and Ntirlis.   I noted the book includes both illustrative games and a tree regarding precise move orders.  That is a great idea.

If you go to the book's Amazon page and click on the book cover on the left hand side, you will find considerably more of the book content than what's in the publishers' pdf-sample. (I still cannot post links).

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #22 - 04/11/18 at 03:08:33
Post Tools

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #21 - 04/11/18 at 01:08:51
Post Tools
The Carlsplanet review says:

The author makes a fair point at the very beginning of the book. He is well aware that there have been many books written about 1.e4 e5 and questioned if there was anything new to add. Based on his 30 years of teaching student 1...e5 he felt that there was and I agree with him.

It is too bad the author's introduction is not part of the PDF sample.  I was wondering how the new Johnsen book distinguishes itself from other good books on the same subject by Bologan, Lokander, and Ntirlis.   I noted the book includes both illustrative games and a tree regarding precise move orders.  That is a great idea.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #20 - 04/10/18 at 14:15:37
Post Tools
I just ordered my copy and am looking forward to getting my hands on it!  I'll share my thoughts in a week or two.

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #19 - 04/07/18 at 20:15:34
Post Tools
Congratulations on the book, Sverre!
The excerpt looks very promising

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #18 - 04/07/18 at 17:09:56
Post Tools
Sjakk1 wrote on 04/07/18 at 17:03:50:
What I found slightly disappointing is that he hadn't noticed that with Tari winning the Junior World Championship, Norway now has two World Champions!  Grin
Three actually, if you include the current (and probably last ever) postal chess world champion.  Smiley
« Last Edit: 04/07/18 at 20:04:33 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 04/07/18 at 17:03:50
Post Tools
Quote:
I find it a bit peculiar that the reviewer at one hand recognizes that the book is written from Black's perspective and still expresses his wish to have the Scotch with 4...Qh4 included

Well, maybe not that peculiar, because against quite a few of White's major options I offer an additional surprise weapon for Black (e.g. 2...c6 against the King's Gambit). I don't do this against the Scotch - mainly because I instead cover the two big moves 4...Nf6 and 4...Bc5.

As a parenthesis I'd like to point out that if you look really closely, you will find a few references to the Steinitz line:
* On page 136 (on my surprise weapon 5...Nxe4 against the Scotch Four Knights), I write: "Compared to Steinitz's line 3 d4 exd4 4 Nxd4 Qh4?! 5 Nb5 Qxe4+ 6 Be2, Black's position is considerably eased by the exchange of knights.
* On page 203 (on 2 Nc3 Nf6 3 a3), I write "White is hoping for the reversed Scotch line 3...d5 4 exd5 Nxd5, when 5 Qh5 is probably very good for White with any ...Nb4 options ruled out."

What I found slightly disappointing is that he hadn't noticed that with Tari winning the Junior World Championship, Norway now has two World Champions!  Grin

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 04/07/18 at 14:03:06
Post Tools
Fortunately I am allowed to give links. Here's the review.

http://www.carlsplanet.co.uk/chess/more/index.htm#How to Beat the Open Games

I find it a bit peculiar that the reviewer at one hand recognizes that the book is written from Black's perspective and still expresses his wish to have the Scotch with 4...Qh4 included.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #15 - 04/07/18 at 12:40:07
Post Tools
Hi Gilbo,

I'm glad to see you gave in to the temptation, and even more so that you had a positive first impression.

Today I noted a review of the book at Carl's Planet. This site was new to me, but is by the author of "Chess behind Bars" (Quality Chess 2017) and contains a lot of interesting chess stuff, including quite a number of chess book reviews.

The review is quite positive, and I'm especially pleased that Carl too finds that the presentation of the material is among the book's strong points.

I'd be happy to give some links, but it seems that as a newbie at the forum, I'm not allowed to do so.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/30/18 at 16:12:39
Post Tools
I got the ebook from the Gambit app. Happy to answer any general questions.

For those starting out with ...e5 (including strong players in this bracket), I really like the layout. Explanation of key ideas and key moves comes first, and then specific details consolidated in a separate section.

Coverage is over a reasonable range of lines. E.g. both ...Bc5 and ...Be7 against the Italian, and both ...Bc5 and ...Nf6 against the Scotch.

By necessity, this wide coverage means the coverage can't be as detailed as other repertoire books, but certainly seems sufficient for untitled players.

All in all, I wish this was the book I had when I was starting out my adventure in ...e5. It seems there is less there for experienced ...e5 practitioners compared to other comparable tomes (say, Ntirlis's repertoire). Even so, I will go through it closely to fill out gaps in my education.

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 03/25/18 at 08:46:28
Post Tools
Hi Micah,

Yes, I remember you. I tried to find our old email exchange to refresh my memory but it proved difficult.

Anyway, in my document archive I found your London analysis/suggestions. I don't remember how much of it was included in the revised edition - there were time and space issues - but the notes were excellent. Thanks!

IP Logged

MicahSmith
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 03/25/18 at 02:12:08
Post Tools
Hi Sverre, remember me?

I'm looking forward to your new book and have already ordered it on Amazon!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo