Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to Beat the Open Games by Sverre Johnsen (Read 57147 times)
gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: How to Beat the Open Games by Sverre Johnsen
Reply #41 - 04/13/18 at 10:56:26
Post Tools
RL: 3.Bb5 f5

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 04/13/18 at 10:54:27
Post Tools
In the spirit of the first book, a couple of lines for Black vs. the Ruy, too, would be great. How about, for example, Open, Arkhanglesk and / or Neo Arkhanglesk!?!?

For now, congratulations for the book!

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #39 - 04/13/18 at 10:37:20
Post Tools
Firstly my congratulations for outstanding book Sverre  Smiley

I'm strongly supporting view of other members who would like to see a sequel in Open Games - dealing with a perennial and for most folks the dreadful Spanish Game  Cool

Please consider lines where Black doesn't have to navigate trough myriad of variations to come to desired variation suited for professionals like Zaitsev (you wrote a book on it), passive Chigorin or demanding Breyer.

Do consider Modern or Old Steinitz, or even better - THE OPEN Spanish  Smiley

Thanks for your contribution to chess fans happiness all around the world  Cheesy

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 04/13/18 at 10:01:06
Post Tools
@author
Are you going to follow this book with one vs. the Ruy?

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #37 - 04/13/18 at 09:33:13
Post Tools
Sjakk1 wrote on 04/12/18 at 18:31:37:
The reason was that I found the line 3 Bc4 Bc5 4 O-O Nf6 5 d4 exd4 6 e5 d5 7 exf6 dxc4 8 fxg7! Rg8 9 Bg5! Be7 10 Bxe7 Kxe7 11 Re1+ Be6 12 Re4 objectively better for White.

What about 11...Kf6 though?

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #36 - 04/13/18 at 07:49:03
Post Tools
Well, it isn't exactly new, in Megabase there's Fahrni-Tartakower, 1914, and there may be even older examples. Anyway, until quite recently I assumed it to be a sideline which Black could handle and maybe even refute if well prepared. If Bücker was the first to demonstrate its viability, it's no surprise.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #35 - 04/12/18 at 19:56:27
Post Tools
Ah, I think that was analyzed Stefan Bücker if I'm remembering right, and probably others.  It does seem to be pretty widely known these days--the sequence leading up to 12.Re4, I mean.

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #34 - 04/12/18 at 18:31:37
Post Tools
The reason was that I found the line 3 Bc4 Bc5 4 O-O Nf6 5 d4 exd4 6 e5 d5 7 exf6 dxc4 8 fxg7! Rg8 9 Bg5! Be7 10 Bxe7 Kxe7 11 Re1+ Be6 12 Re4 objectively better for White. That isn't necessarily a big problem, as it may be no more than +=. However, when you add that this frequently will be White's pet line which he has studied deeply and that it seems harder for Black to handle (with his exposed king), it adds up to something that's hard to recommend to somebody inexperienced in the Open Games. I used to play the Max Lange as Black myself, but that was when 8 Re1+ was the main line and I believed that correct play would reward me with full equality or perhaps more.

That being said, it's an old and important line, and I wouldn't exclude the possibility that there are improvements for Black.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #33 - 04/12/18 at 18:01:41
Post Tools
Sjakk1 wrote on 04/12/18 at 06:59:16:
My explanation for why I currently don't recommend Black to enter the Max Lange Attack had to be deleted for space reasons. That's a pity because I used to think of the Max Lange as required knowledge in the Open Games.

Perhaps you could share your thoughts here?

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #32 - 04/12/18 at 17:52:25
Post Tools
Quote:
I did not find much in the line given by Shaw in his Playing 1.e4 book. I was quite shocked that the book is not listed in the bibliography (which explains why the line recommended there was not attended to) as it is the main book for White in the Scotch in the last couple of years.
The line is addressed in a note with simple '=' sign, but it's in a position where Shaw is just beginning to analyse (Anand-Aronian).

I must plead guilty. The book wasn't available when I started writing the book but Quality Chess is a major chess publisher so I should have noticed when it was published. When I shortly before completing my work checked for recent books from White's side I found one on the the Scotch gambit and one on the quiet Italian that seemed worth investigating. Maybe the Caro Kann in the title fooled me?

Anyway, I have the book now, and must say that Shaw's choice appears relatively harmless and that my "=" seems a reasonable assessment. Possibly "+= tending towards equality" would be more precise (I haven't run any deep computer analysis on it) but when writing it I obviously didn't find it to deserve more than a simplified assessment. Obviously, starting your analysis at this point (rather than concluding it) gives you an edge but that edge could have been greater had the position been more complex.

IP Logged

lobster
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 04/12/18 at 15:08:52
Post Tools
I just got the book and at a glance it looks nice. But the first line I checked was in the Scotch, and I did not find much in the line given by Shaw in his Playing 1.e4 book. I was quite shocked that the book is not listed in the bibliography (which explains why the line recommended there was not attended to) as it is the main book for White in the Scotch in the last couple of years.
The line is addressed in a note with simple '=' sign, but it's in a position where Shaw is just beginning to analyse (Anand-Aronian).

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #30 - 04/12/18 at 07:26:16
Post Tools
Quote:
Sverre, one thing I'm simply curious about is that after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.c3 Nf6 5.d4 exd4 6.cxd4 Bb4+ 7.Bd2 is there a reason you don't recommend, or even mention, 7...Nxe4? (for those curious, the book recommends 7...Bxd2+ and covers 10...Na5 as well as 10...Nce7 if you want to avoid the repetition).

The reason I instead recommend 7...Bxd2+ is simply that that's what I've played myself for almost 40 years now, and I felt confident that it was an equalizing line with some possibilities for Black to play for a win.

Anyway, 7...Nxe4 should have been mentioned at least briefly as it seems an excellent alternative. Back in the pre-computer days it always felt risky (at least at my level) to play with your king in the centre. So when I saw Bologan recommend the move, I didn't really study his analysis but just had a look at the diagram position after 8 Bxb4 Nxb4 9 Bxf7+ Kxf7 10 Qb3 d5 11 Ne5+ Ke6! 12 Qxb4 c5! 13 Qa3 cxd4 14 Nf3 Qb6 15 0-0 Rd8 and decided that this wasn't something I'd like to play myself. What Bologan doesn't mention, and I only discovered later, is that instead 12...Qf8 is equal and quite easy for Black to play (so 12...c5 is an attempt to increase Black's winning chances). How Bologan's other suggestion, 10...Kf8!? works out, I've still no idea, as I haven't had that position on my computer screen. It looks safer but 11 Qxb4+ Qe7 12 Qxe7+ Kxe7 13 0-0 Kd8!? is a move I probably wouldn't have considered unless I knew it was 'theory'.

IP Logged

Sjakk1
YaBB Newbies

Reply #29 - 04/12/18 at 06:59:16
Post Tools
Quote:
I have the book and I think it is excellent. But I was trying to find the Scotch Gambit line 1. e4 e5 2. Cf3 Cc6 3. Ac4 Ac5 4. d4 exd4 instead of 3...Cf6. Does it transpose somewhere, or am I missing something?

On page 83 (8A: 4 Nc3 and rare 4th moves), you will find it as variation c, mostly transposing to 9B: Max Lange's 5 d4!? and Rare 5th moves.

My explanation for why I currently don't recommend Black to enter the Max Lange Attack had to be deleted for space reasons. That's a pity because I used to think of the Max Lange as required knowledge in the Open Games.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 04/12/18 at 06:10:10
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 04/12/18 at 05:11:32:
But I was trying to find the Scotch Gambit line 1. e4 e5 2. Cf3 Cc6 3. Ac4 Ac5 4. d4 exd4 instead of 3...Cf6.

The usual point is that it transposes to the line 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Bc5 . If instead 4. .. Nf6 is recommended, then indeed 4. d4 takes Black out of his book.

There are other transposition tricks available. For example on 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4, it's possible to play 6. 0-0 which switches into Scotch territory. You can go the other way round. 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Bc5 5. c3 Nf6 6. cxd4 to get the 4. c3 Italian.

I wouldn't be convinced that playing as White in this manner leads anywhere in particular, but it sets some problems to Black in what needs to be known about 1. e4 e5 positions.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #27 - 04/12/18 at 05:11:32
Post Tools
I have the book and I think it is excellent. But I was trying to find the Scotch Gambit line 1. e4 e5 2. Cf3 Cc6 3. Ac4 Ac5 4. d4 exd4 instead of 3...Cf6. Does it transpose somewhere, or am I missing something?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo