Latest Updates:
Normal Topic engines in Winboard (Read 1668 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: engines in Winboard
Reply #1 - 01/12/18 at 20:15:43
Post Tools
Have you tried reading at the winboard forum?
http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/

For example, the post on How to set up Pro Deo in Winboard. It is for a different engine, but the steps should be similar for any Winboard engine, I would think.

IP Logged

petertohen
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

engines in Winboard
01/12/18 at 07:21:38
Post Tools
I have Winboard installed in a directory called D:/Program files/Winboard and engines. In this directory I have (to give one example) made a sub-directory called Crafty 23.0 and extracted Crafty into it from the zip file. I tentatively assume that the reason Crafty, unlike the preloaded Fairy-Max, won't now start from the manager is that I need to write something in the manager in the 'Command line options' box. But what? I can't seem to find this out by looking in Crafty's 'Read me' file, and the same is true for all other engines! (I notice that Gnuchess 4 and 5, preloaded in Winboard 4.3.1.5m like Fairy-Max, also have nothing written in this box and also won't work, so how do I discover what I should write for them, if this is the problem?)

Second question -- once I can get engines to work, how do I associate opening books with them? Do I simply copy the book to the same sub-directory as the engine, or do I need to do something more? (And will opening books of all types work, or just those with a .BIN suffix?)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo