Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1. d4 Cf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 for NID/QID >2200 ELO (Read 6489 times)
bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Re: 1. d4 Cf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 for NID/QID >2200 ELO
Reply #17 - 01/29/18 at 08:12:23
Post Tools
I my opinion Bb4+ transposing to Bogo Indian makes sense even for QID players since white is commited to an early g3.
Whites best chance to get anything in normal Bogo Indian is to block the check with either Nd2 or Nc3.
However with g3 played before Nf3 both moves has drawbacks. Nd2 for example gives black the option of playing c5.
« Last Edit: 01/29/18 at 19:24:31 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #16 - 01/28/18 at 23:29:56
Post Tools
I have Part I of the Modern Chess database by Marin on Benoni, with includes Fianchetto. I also remember from Petrow's book that Black usually sacrifices on f4 or fiddles around with the rook on the 4st rank after the knight exchange on e4 in the main line.

I am a usually solid player, but I play the Pirc and French as well, so in my particular case I do not mind sharp game.

Memmedjarow, though, does he play 3. g3 regularly? He seems to play a lot of stuff. I saw him play the French the other day, so maybe he was just varying with 3. g3?

As White, when I play 3. g3, I generally dislike playing against 3...c5. I feel comfortablest playing against 3...d5, followed by 3...Ab4+, because these two lead into more positional, static games. 3...c5 forces me to have to match the tactical sharpness with own concrete lines. I guess whether it suits more Black or White depends on the players. I am thinking about 3...c5 more though now.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #15 - 01/28/18 at 22:45:39
Post Tools
Maybe send a message to Tony, or create a thread about the bug over here: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?board=discussion_brd.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #14 - 01/28/18 at 16:15:20
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/28/18 at 14:16:03:
P.S.: What is going on with "725548464C402100" here? It seems when I quote this acronym from someone it's turned into some weird code!

I added spaces in what I just quoted to get around it.

It’s not just you. The weird code is a UUID. I notice that it is not always the same ID. Maybe there is a function “QID” that is being called by the board software.

Edited:
Thinking about this some more.
If indeed the quoting mechanism is parsing strings into function calls:
  • I don’t see why chesspub would want that to happen.
  • It could certainly explain how individual posts occasionally break the board. Imagine if someone innocently posted “d_e_l_e_t_e a_l_l” and that called a function!

Still thinking about this. It would make a nifty back door, as long as the code is not open source.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #13 - 01/28/18 at 14:16:03
Post Tools
P.S.: What is going on with "QID" here? It seems when I quote this acronym from someone it's turned into some weird code!

I added spaces in what I just quoted to get around it.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #12 - 01/28/18 at 14:01:52
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 01/28/18 at 09:22:29:
I guess question is if 3...c5 is too sharp with 3...d5 too static for a Nimzo/Q I D player. I remember seeing various opinions about 3. g3 c5 not being particularly challenging line of Benoni, but Black cannot sit and play slow and positionally here like in many Nimzo/Q I D positions.

Although if both White and Black are positional players and the game goes into 3. g3 c5, both players would be somewhat disadvantaged so it evens out..

But Nimzo-Indian players come in many varieties - Black can aim to play it very sharply or very solidly. As for the Queen's Indian, I admit it's typically more solid than the Modern Benoni, the Vienna variation or the Blumenfeld, but I've seen plenty of Queen's Indian players who were ready for a fight. Black has some choice of different lines there as well, there are even several lines that lead to Benoni structures if both sides are so inclined.

Point being, 3.g3 c5 with a Fianchetto Benoni could well fit some Nimzo/Queen's Indian players perfectly.

The same goes for White really: It's too early to say much about what kind of player s/he is after 3.g3. Mamedyarov has played the Catalan in Wijk aan Zee, and he's not the most peaceful guy on the circuit!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #11 - 01/28/18 at 09:22:29
Post Tools
My reservations about entering the Catalán as Black are that grabbing pawn and holding it is not very comfortable in practical games, as my opinion. I play the Catalán as White and I feel that often one slip by Black if s/he uses general principles instead of memorising their preparation can cause Black not to have a destroyed position, but rather a depressing game positionally speaking.

ErictheRed wrote on 01/27/18 at 18:25:19:
I'd look into the 3...d5 4.Bg2 Bb4+ Bd6 or 5...Be7 lines, for one.  That seems pretty consistent with many lines of the 1C2B303A2D313C0B3C3D5902.

I have the Pert book on the Ragozin. 5...Ad6 looks interesting, sometimes going into some Stonewall type structure. A Stonewall is not typical of QID besides specific lines where White plays e3, but it is of some lines of the Nimzo 4. Dc2 d5 (or 4. Dc2 0-0 with future ...d5) lines.

I guess question is if 3...c5 is too sharp with 3...d5 too static for a Nimzo/QID player. I remember seeing various opinions about 3. g3 c5 not being particularly challenging line of Benoni, but Black cannot sit and play slow and positionally here like in many Nimzo/QID positions.

Although if both White and Black are positional players and the game goes into 3. g3 c5, both players would be somewhat disadvantaged so it evens out..

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #10 - 01/28/18 at 09:21:22
Post Tools
My reservations about entering the Catalán as Black are that grabbing pawn and holding it is not very comfortable in practical games, as my opinion. I play the Catalán as White and I feel that often one slip by Black if s/he uses general principles instead of memorising their preparation can cause Black not to have a destroyed position, but rather a depressing game positionally speaking.

I'd look into the 3...d5 4.Bg2 Bb4+ Bd6 or 5...Be7 lines, for one.  That seems pretty consistent with many lines of the 1C2B303A2D313C0B3C3D5903.

I have the Pert book on the Ragozin. 5...Ad6 looks interesting, sometimes going into some Stonewall type structure. A Stonewall is not typical of QID, but it is of some lines of the Nimzo 4. Dc2 d5 (or 4. Dc2 0-0 with future ...d5) lines.

I guess question is if 3...c5 is too sharp with 3...d5 too static for a Nimzo/QID player. I remember seeing various opinions about 3. g3 c5 not being particularly challenging line of Benoni, but Black cannot sit and play slow and positionally here like in many Nimzo/QID positions.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #9 - 01/28/18 at 09:18:09
Post Tools

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 01/27/18 at 22:00:21
Post Tools
I just don't personally think that White is risking very much, at least not in otb play.  It's normal gambit play where White has a lead in development and good control of the center.  White's moves are very standard, it's Black's that must be more precise and are more counter-intuitive. 

But that's just my opinion, I admit.  If someone likes this sort of thing as Black, go for it.  But it's far from the sort of play one normally sees in the Nimzo or QID.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 01/27/18 at 21:27:08
Post Tools
Yes, Black has to know his stuff in these sharp lines, but so does White. The good news for Black are that he has good chances in this case. How many amateurs playing the Catalan are ready to play this risky line with White?

It´s not without reason that Avrukh recommends the quieter lines with 6.0-0 Nc6 7.e3 for White in his GM Repertoire.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #6 - 01/27/18 at 19:18:49
Post Tools
What is impractical for me may be completely practical for someone else.  And Ntirlis's book is excellent.  Still, I question how practical lines like

are for players who are not IMs in over-the-board play.  If your'e willing to do the work I'm sure that his analysis holds up, but there are a lot of counter-intuitive precise moves in there that have to be played.  Of course that's true of pretty much every sharp opening, but how obvious is it to play 11...c6, 13...Qc7 (instead of 13...Bb7 for instance), 14...h6, and 17...Rb7? 

Anyhow this is a perfectly valid choice for Black, and I might even recommend it to a Slav or Semi-Slav player who is used to lines where they grab on c4 and hold on.  But it seems pretty incongruous and impractical for a Nimzo/QID player to me, as the original poster is. 

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/27/18 at 18:54:44
Post Tools
Personally as a Catalan player in over-the-board games, I'm always very happy to get a line where Black takes on c4 and then tries hold the pawn.

It´s noticable that, despite the move 5...a6, Ntirlis does not recommend to try to hold the pawn on c4 in every line. Instead Black usually gives it back and plays for counterplay in the centre with ...e6-e5.

Usually I´m not depending so much on statistics but White has scored only slightly above 51% in this line in my database which is clearly below average.

Also, to me Black´s position seems easy to play in most of the lines recommended in Ntirlis´ book.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 01/27/18 at 18:30:41
Post Tools
I feel that this is one of those lines where no matter what the theoretical verdict or engine says or what correspondence players play, White can always get a lot of central control and compensation that can make things uncomfortable for Black in a practical, over the board game.
Yes, but... isn't this precisely why the Catalan is played? In the openings played regularly by top players, there is no lazy man's way to equality.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 01/27/18 at 18:25:19
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 01/27/18 at 08:21:14:
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 01/27/18 at 04:57:15:
[...]suffer a bit against the Catalán with 3...d5[...]

I do not see Black suffering in the line 3.g3 d5 4.Bg2 dxc4 5.Nf3 a6 as recommended by Ntirlis in "Playing 1.d4 d5".

Going for a Benoni with 3...c5 would be my second choice but one has to keep in mind that White isn´t obliged to play 4.d5 and can instead play 4.Nf3 when 4...cxd4 5.Nxd4 transposes to a line of the English Opening.

I have not had a close look at the analysis by Ntirlis there, though I should soon as I've played the Catalan forever.  However, I feel that this is one of those lines where no matter what the theoretical verdict or engine says or what correspondence players play, White can always get a lot of central control and compensation that can make things uncomfortable for Black in a practical, over the board game.  If you like that sort of thing as Black, then go for it!  There are many openings in the Closed Games where Black plays for the win by taking on c4 and challenging White to prove compensation.  But it's not for everyone. 

I'd look into the 3...d5 4.Bg2 Bb4+ Bd6 or 5...Be7 lines, for one.  That seems pretty consistent with many lines of the QID. 

If you want to challenge White's move order directly, probably 3...c5 is best.  This has been something of a hole in my own personal repertoire forever, in the sense that I play the Catalan against ...d5 but other lines against the Modern Benoni.  So I'm always forced to choose between the fianchetto variation of the Benoni or 4.Nf3 cd 5.Nxd4, when Black has a variety of very QID-like responses.  Also depending on how one plays the QID as Black, there are a lot of Benoni-like pawn structures that can arise, so learning one additional line (the fianchetto Benoni) is not much more. 

Naturally anything is playable, you just need to choose a variation that suits you.  Personally as a Catalan player in over-the-board games, I'm always very happy to get a line where Black takes on c4 and then tries hold the pawn.  I don't know how other Catalan players feel, but in practice there's a lot to be said for not giving your opponent what he wants. 

It might be easier to recommend something if we knew the sort of positions you like in the Nimzo and QID.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo