Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Question on new chess base dvd on nimzo-larsen? (Read 8118 times)
Marcellus

Re: Question on new chess base dvd on nimzo-larsen?
Reply #14 - 02/22/18 at 03:03:44
Post Tools
As always, please feel free to include as many mini-reviews as you can for the rest of us.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #13 - 02/22/18 at 02:55:34
Post Tools
Glad to be of help Mtal, and in my opinion you can afford to pass on the So DVD, yes he's a Super GM but the analysis offered is quite superficial, his Modern Italian DVD isn't much better either. I'm a big fan of Wesley's play, so should he decide to do something for Chessbase again I sincerely hope it will be more compelling and without the superfluous co-presenter.

Good luck in your 1.b3 games.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 02/21/18 at 14:52:26
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 02/14/18 at 21:46:06:
Mtal wrote on 02/12/18 at 17:35:42:
Hi all, I was reading the write up on the New chess base nimzo-larsen DVD and it said that on b3, d5, on move two white should play nf3 with an exclamation mark. I thought I read something that white should play e3 instead because with nf3, black plays f6 and gets a big center (and that's good for black). Just wondering if anyone knew why nf3 was good.

Oh and since we're talking about the dvd, anyone get it yet? What are your thoughts? It seems like it's geared tword playing the nimzo-larsen with c4 and making it an English.

Well hopefully I will get it soon. Thanks for any info.

Against 1...d5 So never claimed 2.Nf3 to be strong or better than 2.Bb2, In typical annoying So style, where its like pulling teeth to get him to reveal what he seriously thinks about any move or position. When pressed continually by his Co-Host for a concrete answer, So's fall back is usua the unhelpful response 'its a matter of taste', regarding 1...d5 he says if you don't mind the mess after 2.Bb2 Bg4 3.f3 as favored by Rapport
then go for that, if you want to avoid it, then go 2.Nf3 first - Now that's really 2800 insight Roll Eyes

Nothing special or particularly interesting is revealed on this DVD, and the material being offered could just as easilly have been delivered by a lesser player (Lorin D'Costa for instance) with a good working knowledge of the opening.   

To sum up this mini DVD review: Pro's - Very Polite and humble 2800> presenter.
Cons:  Not clear what are the recommendations. Target audience seems to be 1600 - 1700, was expecting it to be much higher. Format is more like a summary of lines rather than a true repertoire DVD. Also I dislike the two presenter format, I find it more distracting and time consuming than useful.

Lastly Chessbase need more accurate blurbs.

Hope that helps.

Bye

Thanks TopNotch, I got,the Rozman DVD and like it. Maybe it's a little light on the analsys sometimes but he gives a lot of good suggestions. So I'm thinking of passing on the So DVD. In Rozman's DVD he shows b3 played very aggeessively, which I like, not sure I will get that in So's DVD. Plus I have Davis' one and he is very detailed.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #11 - 02/17/18 at 18:17:29
Post Tools
Marcellus wrote on 02/15/18 at 20:06:39:
So, it’s safe to say that you’re neither Albert Silver nor Davide Nastasio. Out of curiosity, without divulging any secrets, are there any authors/lecturers that you find produce overwhelmingly good material, on any site?

All of Jan Gustafsson's stuff for Chessbase and Chess24 are very good; Negi's Books/DVD are also excellent; Bologan's early Books and DVD's are quite good, his more recent stuff is a bit inconsistent in quality; Robin Van Kampen has done some good stuff for Chess24 of which his KID series stands out, his White Rep vs The Sicilian on the other hand started out promising, but as was pointed out in the comments on chess24 had too many omissions to satisfy a tournament or even serious club player.

I was very impressed by newcomer Super GM Vidit Gujrathi's two part Caro-Kann repertoire for Chessbase, looking forward to more stuff from him. Deserving mention is the slightly unknown (In DVD circles) GM Ivan Salgado's Anti-Sicilian DVD for chess24, his recommendations are sound, powerful and up to date, its a pity that most of his work for chess24 is in spanish, but I hope he decides to do some more stuff in English in the future.

I am sure they are other Presenters that should have made the list, but that's who jumped out at me off the top of my head. Feel free to add or subtract from the list if you feel strongly about something or someone.

Bye for now.

Postscript: Oops, among authors I forgot to include Kotronias and Gallagher as two of my favorites. Guess I was focusing more on the DVDs.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #10 - 02/15/18 at 20:06:39
Post Tools
So, it’s safe to say that you’re neither Albert Silver nor Davide Nastasio. Out of curiosity, without divulging any secrets, are there any authors/lecturers that you find produce overwhelmingly good material, on any site?

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #9 - 02/15/18 at 16:17:54
Post Tools
Marcellus wrote on 02/15/18 at 03:33:33:
My question to TopNotch is how do you manage to see so many DVDs? Not just these. You've posted your opinions on numerous ones over the years (your opinions are highly valued, by the way).

I have a friend that buys a lot of them, and then he hesitantly asks for my thoughts, I say hesitantly because he knows how sceptical I often am of these DVD offerings and then he has buyers remorse. Lately though he has figured out that he can put my input to good use to trip up opponents in tournament play. To be honest I could post many more reviews, but for one I'm lazy by nature and two I'm patiently waiting to use some of my discoveries otb, provided I can remember them if the opportunity arises.

There are so many glaring analytical errors on many of these DVDs when you put them under the microscope that it can be depressing at times, but as I said, the knowledge could be used to good effect from the other side of the board, so purchases are neccessarily wasted.

Caveat Emptor, there is a lot of Snake oil out there.

Bye.

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #8 - 02/15/18 at 03:33:33
Post Tools
My question to TopNotch is how do you manage to see so many DVDs? Not just these. You've posted your opinions on numerous ones over the years (your opinions are highly valued, by the way).

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #7 - 02/14/18 at 23:31:23
Post Tools
@TopNotch: Thanks for your views on these 1.b3 DVDs.

I considered both, but they seem a bit on the short side at around 3 hours. I like to get more content for the prices they charge.*

Would you say the Rozman DVD adds real value to the standard non-DVD sources? I have the books by Tait/Jacobs, Odessky and Lakdawala, and will resume my ChessPublishing subscription in a few months.

Edit: This blurb for 1.b3 Bash is a bit of a turn-off: Quote:
You will know exactly when on move 4 or 5 they will do something inaccurate. That’s really the key idea behind this system.

My usual opponents don't do something inaccurate as early as move 4 or 5! I expect a good DVD to be helpful even against decent opposition. But it seems from TopNotch's review that this DVD is not just for beginners after all.

*Though people can likely pick up the Rozman one at a discount on one of the many sales at TheChessWorld - setting unusually high regular prices but running lots of actively promoted sales seems to be the modus operandi of both TheChessWorld and iChess.
« Last Edit: 02/15/18 at 01:16:18 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #6 - 02/14/18 at 22:15:53
Post Tools
Glenn Snow wrote on 02/13/18 at 06:17:07:
I wonder if  GM So's DVD is better than FM Levy Rozman's  "1.b3 BASH YOUR SECRET WEAPON"?  Obviously So is a far stronger player but as we've seen here, sometimes the lesser player has more of a passion for the opening.  I haven't seen either video fwiw.

No it is not, overall Rozman's presentation is more Passionate and he anayses in more detail. He really works hard to motivate you to play this opening, and he does offer some fresh ideas. However one of his main suggestions, and the biggest secret weapon on the whole DVD according to him simply does not work (See my comments to Rozman's Youtube Blurb for details), if my by now 2 year old analysis is to be believed, also the line he gives is not a secret as I am pretty sure Cyrus Lakdawala enthusiastically (and mistakenly) suggests the line for White in his ancient by todays' theoretical standards (2013) Nimzo-Larsen Attack: Move by Move.

Having said all that I really enjoyed this DVD, the energy and enthusiasm of the presenter really comes across and some of his suggestions merit consideration. Moreover if you find the refutation I alluded to above daunting, don't let that deter you from this DVD, as White has reliable enough deviations earlier to fall back on.

Once again, hope that helps.

Bye.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #5 - 02/14/18 at 21:46:06
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 02/12/18 at 17:35:42:
Hi all, I was reading the write up on the New chess base nimzo-larsen DVD and it said that on b3, d5, on move two white should play nf3 with an exclamation mark. I thought I read something that white should play e3 instead because with nf3, black plays f6 and gets a big center (and that's good for black). Just wondering if anyone knew why nf3 was good.

Oh and since we're talking about the dvd, anyone get it yet? What are your thoughts? It seems like it's geared tword playing the nimzo-larsen with c4 and making it an English.

Against 1...d5 So never claimed 2.Nf3 to be strong or better than 2.Bb2, In typical annoying So style, where its like pulling teeth to get him to reveal what he seriously thinks about any move or position. When pressed continually by his Co-Host for a concrete answer, So's fall back is usually the unhelpful response 'its a matter of taste', regarding 1...d5 he says if you don't mind the mess after 2.Bb2 Bg4 3.f3 as favored by Rapport
then go for that, if you want to avoid it, then go 2.Nf3 first - Now that's really 2800 insight Roll Eyes

Nothing special or particularly interesting is revealed on this DVD, and the material being offered could just as easilly have been delivered by a lesser player (Lorin D'Costa for instance) with a good working knowledge of the opening.   

To sum up this mini DVD review: Pro's - Very Polite and humble 2800> presenter.
Cons:  Not clear what are the recommendations. Target audience seems to be 1600 - 1700, was expecting it to be much higher. Format is more like a summary of lines rather than a true repertoire DVD. Also I dislike the two presenter format, I find it more distracting and time consuming than useful.

Lastly Chessbase need more accurate blurbs.

Hope that helps.

Bye

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #4 - 02/14/18 at 19:28:14
Post Tools
Not knowing The Chess World products, can anyone vouch for them ? The site I've found says it is $35 for a download. I guess this can then be burned onto a dvd for future storage. Has anyone bought a dvd this way ? I'm in the UK and am used to ChessBase or Foxy dvds. How do these compare ?

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/13/18 at 21:37:18
Post Tools
Glenn Snow wrote on 02/13/18 at 06:17:07:
I wonder if  GM So's DVD is better than FM Levy Rozman's  "1.b3 BASH YOUR SECRET WEAPON"?  Obviously So is a far stronger player but as we've seen here, sometimes the lesser player has more of a passion for the opening.  I haven't seen either video fwiw.

Wow I did not know there was another b3 video out there next to Martin's and Davies'.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/13/18 at 06:17:07
Post Tools

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/12/18 at 17:50:17
Post Tools
Maybe you're thinking of 1. Nf3 d5 2. b3 c5, when 3. Bb2 is considered inferior to 3. e3 (going back at least to a game Petrosian-Fischer).

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Question on new chess base dvd on nimzo-larsen?
02/12/18 at 17:35:42
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo