Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Has Anand killed the Alapin as a viable weapon? (Read 1512 times)
bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Re: Has Anand killed the Alapin as a viable weapon?
Reply #2 - 02/15/18 at 09:39:04
Post Tools
When I played sicilian the only problem I had when facing Alapin was  how to generate winning chanses vs lower rated  players who wanted a draw. Now I tried the French and a large majorety are playing the exchange variation, including a player I met before who usually plays Alapin vs sicilian...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Has Anand killed the Alapin as a viable weapon?
Reply #1 - 02/14/18 at 23:50:41
Post Tools
Impressive game, but it only takes out 5.Bc4 (if indeed it does). Is there some generally known problem with 5.d4 cxd4 6.cxd4? Maybe 6...d6 7.Bc4 dxe5 or 7...Nb6 is simply equal.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Has Anand killed the Alapin as a viable weapon?
02/14/18 at 22:37:40
Post Tools
To answer my own question I think he has. His victory over Gawain Jones at Tata Steele this year I suspect signals the last time we see the Alapin from Gawain and many other adherents. This relatively unheralded game By Anand, although it was covered by Sam in this month's Anti Sicilian update, has effectively killed off one of the last remaining branches of Alapin theory that till now, still offered White hopes of a nibble of an edge.

I hope my proclamation proves premature, as I have a soft spot for the alapin and most Sicilian players used to hate facing it.

Bye for now.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo