Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Bc4 against the Open Games by Delchev, Chess Stars (Read 6289 times)
fjd
God Member

Re: Bc4 against the Open Games by Delchev, Chess Stars
Reply #5 - 03/14/18 at 21:34:32
Post Tools
My space disadvantage comment was more from the White side (I'm not a huge fan of Black being able to push ...d5 and then either get d5/e5 vs. d3/e4 or e5 vs d3 after exd5). Then again, I play the Italian with both colours so I've kind of lost track whether I actually want White to have a small pull in all these systems.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #4 - 03/14/18 at 21:06:09
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 03/14/18 at 06:27:37:
So, I did end up buying this book (on ForwardChess!). The recommendation in the ...d6/...a6/...Ba7/...0-0 stuff is the "trendy" a4 line, which I'd thought was sort of harmless last I looked at it - so long as Black played ...Re8, ...Be6, ...Qd7, ...d5 and not ...Ne7-g6. Maybe Delchev has some new ideas, or maybe it's just my dislike of having a space disadvantage influencing my opinion of the positions after ...d5.

More to come...

You sound like Jan Gustaffson on chess24 except for the space disadvantage after d5 thing which I didn't quite understand. Black will have a space disadvantage on the Queenside whether he goes for a6,d6, Ba7 or d5 plans, if he wants to avoid that he may choose schemes with a5, but then White may profit from the weakened b5 square. Black can't have everything, concessions must be acquiesced to somewhere, and then its a game where the player with the better understanding can prevail.

Anything is better than another Berlin ending right. Wink

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #3 - 03/14/18 at 06:27:37
Post Tools
So, I did end up buying this book (on ForwardChess!). The recommendation in the ...d6/...a6/...Ba7/...0-0 stuff is the "trendy" a4 line, which I'd thought was sort of harmless last I looked at it - so long as Black played ...Re8, ...Be6, ...Qd7, ...d5 and not ...Ne7-g6. Maybe Delchev has some new ideas, or maybe it's just my dislike of having a space disadvantage influencing my opinion of the positions after ...d5.

More to come...

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/18 at 17:41:11
Post Tools
Ah, this looks like an interesting book - if anyone has it already, does Delchev recommend a lot of Bg5 systems - I saw 5...0-0 6 Bg5 in the sample, does he suggest it as well after 5...d6 6 a4 0-0  7 c3 a5 or whatever?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 03/10/18 at 09:08:24
Post Tools
http://www.chessdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Bc4-Against-The-Open-Games-x8817.html

It seems that the symmetrical 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Bc5 4.Nf3 d6 is lacking (5.O-O O-O 6.Bg5 has less power as Black still can play ...c6 if necessary) . That would be a shame, as I feel that White's play lacks urgency to make good use of the extra tempo. As far as I can see Delchev never has met this himself. Of course his arguments why the Giuoco Pianissimo deserves fresh research remain valid.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Bc4 against the Open Games by Delchev, Chess Stars
03/10/18 at 08:16:42
Post Tools
From the Publisher:

This book offers a White repertoire against the Open Games. The reader will find the first deep investigation of the modern treatment of the Italian Game and the Bishop's Opening. The variations you will find in the book greatly differ from anything published so far.

If any of you has already bought it, a short review (or your impressions) would be much appreciated.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo