Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New 1.e4 repertoire by Lakdawala (Read 1190 times)
mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New 1.e4 repertoire by Lakdawala
Reply #11 - 07/10/18 at 03:44:31
Post Tools
Well it comes down to personal preference obviously, but I got this impression in like 2014, when comparing Collins' Adv. French recommendations to PTF4. It always seemed like White's centre was under a lot of pressure and Black's position was easier to play. It seemed like White had to be very careful in the opening, for a variation that, theoretically, isn't really supposed to give you any prospects of an opening advantage. Also, it sort of felt like Black had a million different move orders that White had to keep up with.

Whether that impression was even remotely fair, I have no idea. I can't really comment on your comparison to 3 Nc3, as it's been many many years since I played that stuff.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #10 - 07/10/18 at 03:15:07
Post Tools
mn wrote on 07/10/18 at 02:04:59:
The Advance French I kind of think is more trouble than it's worth

Could you elaborate on this? I've felt more like the exact opposite!

I tried learning 3.Nc3 based on Negi's GM Rep for a long while, but between the raw theory bombast of the Winawer mainlines, difficulties in sideline-ish stuff like the Portisch Hook & similar, a billion different moveorders that all need vaguely adjusted responses in the Steinitz, and even an annoying task of proving something in the Rubinstein, I felt like I could spend the rest of my life working on it for very little return (especially given the relative infrequency of the french).

When I switched to the Advance, by contrast I had almost immediate successes just playing perfectly natural chess, while having cut down the workload to something like a quarter.

Recent outings of it such as this one http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1917000 have also not exactly dissuaded me from it.

Why do you feel like it's "more trouble than it's worth"?

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 07/10/18 at 02:04:59
Post Tools
Subbing the Tarrasch for the Advance French, this was basically my repertoire for like three years. I'm finally getting around to subbing in the Spanish and the Open Sicilian, but seeing publications like this one always tempt me to go back.

The Advance French I kind of think is more trouble than it's worth, but obviously Sveshnikov and Grischuk (back in the day) have proven you can get good results if you understand the positions. I guess the former's new books can be used as supplemental material.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #8 - 07/10/18 at 01:39:17
Post Tools
This appears to be a recurring theme in opening repertoire books: working with a specific theme that runs consistently through the book. Sielecki's Nimzo/Bogo book insisted on concentrating on lines that stressed the dark squares, for example. I like the principle—and a positional 1.e4 book doesn't sound like a terrible idea—but it seems as though this one requires supplemental work. That's not a bad thing, but it would likely help if the author was upfront about that.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 07/09/18 at 21:48:07
Post Tools
I have the book. An e4 repertoire built on a space advantage. I was trying to build for myself around 8 years ago, so I couldn't resist.

But indeed, like with other Lakdawala books, don't expect good coverage of all relevant lines.

Just a couple that popped out to me in the French coverage:

1) After 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 there is no mention of the move 5...Nh6, which was recommended by Watson in the 4th edition of Play the French.

2) After 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bd7, the recommendation is 6.a3, which Williams marked as dubious in his repertoire book. Lakdawala only covers 6...c4, but Williams recommended 6...f6 (which Williams claims is also 'just the better move').

So we're not talking about missing coverage particularly late on, these are early moves that are recommended by relatively well-known books.

I don't want to bash the book too hard. I'm just flagging a couple of holes I found because this was requested by MNb.

I love the selection of lines, though, and a comprehensive coverage would take a few hundred more pages! If you follow this book at a serious level, you'll likely need to supplement it with additional sources.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 07/08/18 at 07:49:43
Post Tools
This seems rather typical for Lakdawala - the idea is good, the execution less so. Since many years I've felt that 1.e4 strongly should be considered by positional players.
Anyone trying to present a complete 1.e4 repertoire in about 300 pages will have to omit important lines. Moreover Lakdawala is not known for his accuratesse. Typical is this (from the Introduction:

"the Bishop’s Opening is dwarfed in popularity by lines like the ..... Scotch Game."
2.Bc4 has 31 000 games in my database.
Giuoco Pianissimo against the Italian and against the Two Knights has about 35 000.
4...Nf6 5.Nxc6 plus 4...Bc5 in the Scotch combined also have about 35 000.

"On 2...e6 we opt for 3 c3, transposing to a line of the c3 Sicilian."
That's remarkable as 3...d5 4.e5 tends to transpose to the Advance Variation, also presented in the book.

This book probably works best as an introduction and a starting point for further study. To his credit Lakdawala never claims more. At the other hand leaving out main lines is unforgivable. Could you mention a few?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TUKI
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 07/07/18 at 22:53:03
Post Tools
This is a very bad book. Quality of analysis is very low. French defence coverage is too weak even for 1700 player. In 1.e4 e5 he omnits some even main lines. VERY BAD BOOK

IP Logged

RoleyPoley

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 07/03/18 at 21:59:06
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 07/03/18 at 21:42:52:
lufran wrote on 07/03/18 at 21:17:52:
PDF sample is now available at Everyman Chess site.

This book is published, at least the ebook. I've had it close to a month already.

It's been out in physical form in England for at least a couple of months i think.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #3 - 07/03/18 at 21:42:52
Post Tools
lufran wrote on 07/03/18 at 21:17:52:

This book is published, at least the ebook. I've had it close to a month already.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

lufran
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/03/18 at 21:17:52
Post Tools

IP Logged

RoleyPoley

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/28/18 at 00:00:20
Post Tools
TUKI wrote on 04/27/18 at 22:49:41:
The tittle is "Opening Repertoire: 1 e4" and you can find more informations on everyman chess website.

from publisher :

"In this book, prolific chess author Cyrus Lakdawala recommends a repertoire for White players who like to open 1 e4. The repertoire is based around two main themes:

The suggested variations for White are ones that rely far more on a generic understanding of strategic ideas rather than the memorisation of reams of opening theory. This explains the choice of the Bishop’s Opening (handled “Lopez-style”) against 1...e5 and the Bb5 variations against the Sicilian Defence. Both these lines are designed to create dynamic and interesting middlegame positions rather than attempting to score a quick knockout victory – a generally overambitious aim that often backfires
    The variations are chosen so that White can gain space whenever possible. Therefore the Advance Variation is recommended against the French Defence (1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 e5) and also the Caro-Kann Defence (1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 e5). The fact that these lines often create similar middlegame structures is helpful for general comprehension of White’s plans.
"

Sample PDF is not available yet.

This post may be better off in the general section.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TUKI
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

New 1.e4 repertoire by Lakdawala
04/27/18 at 22:49:41
Post Tools
The tittle is "Opening Repertoire: 1 e4" and you can find more informations on everyman chess website.

from publisher :

"In this book, prolific chess author Cyrus Lakdawala recommends a repertoire for White players who like to open 1 e4. The repertoire is based around two main themes:

The suggested variations for White are ones that rely far more on a generic understanding of strategic ideas rather than the memorisation of reams of opening theory. This explains the choice of the Bishop’s Opening (handled “Lopez-style”) against 1...e5 and the Bb5 variations against the Sicilian Defence. Both these lines are designed to create dynamic and interesting middlegame positions rather than attempting to score a quick knockout victory – a generally overambitious aim that often backfires
    The variations are chosen so that White can gain space whenever possible. Therefore the Advance Variation is recommended against the French Defence (1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 e5) and also the Caro-Kann Defence (1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 e5). The fact that these lines often create similar middlegame structures is helpful for general comprehension of White’s plans.
"

Sample PDF is not available yet.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo