Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Engines & Openings (Read 187 times)
HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Re: Engines & Openings
Reply #2 - 07/20/18 at 22:21:19
Post Tools
I'm coming to the conclusion that the opening is the part of correspondence chess where humans have the most influence. If most games are played by centaurs of one kind or another, being able to "trick" an opponent who overestimates an opening position is one way to make some progress, especially as Black (where I seem to be getting the bulk of my wins at the moment—in the Caro, which in general I think engines don't handle particularly well).

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Engines & Openings
Reply #1 - 07/20/18 at 13:50:50
Post Tools
Generally, I think Stockfish usually overestimates White's position in the early opening, especially with an early space advantage it goes up around +0.8 or more. On the other hand, sometimes the others may get 'too dynamic'.

One way to get an estimate is to pit the three big ones against each other, and perhaps add one's favourite Stockfish clone too, and see how the games go both move wise and result wise. Often they meet half-way, with one engine decreasing and another increasing White's/Black's advantage.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Engines & Openings
07/09/18 at 21:30:32
Post Tools
I'm curious about chess openings that chess engines tend to underestimate due to some kind of positional concession that—in the long run—tends not to be quite so decisive. For example, Stockfish hates the Bronstein-Larsen variation of the Caro-Kann. After 5...gxf6, it gives White almost +1.00. After considerable analysis, I don't doubt that the line is a little dubious, but by move 10-15, Stockfish's evaluation has dropped to ~+0.50 in most variations (which sounds about right). Are there other openings (for White or Black) that trip up engines in a similar way?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo