Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Password generator for chessplayers (Read 841 times)
Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Password generator for chessplayers
Reply #2 - 08/27/18 at 04:09:16
Post Tools
There's no real sense to it. His password is also vastly less secure than one randomly generated. What he should have is a keyfile on his USB if he's paranoid. He could have his keyfile generated by something like playing a chessgame if he likes. 

I have put in short chess openings as my full password like: "e4e5Nf3Nf6Ne5d6..." in that type of format. At one point I had the idea that I could try to make sure I know tricky lines by putting them as various passwords, but the vast majority of mine are saved anyway so it might just be an annoyance. 

"I don't recall saying good luck."

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Re: Password generator for chessplayers
Reply #1 - 07/21/18 at 19:34:15
Post Tools
You can post your implementation of the idea here, if you want.

A little bit freaky, but interesting anyways  Cheesy

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Password generator for chessplayers
07/09/18 at 22:01:05
Post Tools
I was reading a random trail of password links and came across the following, which I thought might appeal to chess types:

Quote:
create an 8x8 table like this:

&H2dw&m?
2 9^/}hQU8
n"uI[A4\
r~*pv%Pt
;6(m@bBL
c_+gYs!f
=0W.\{]-

now write an algorithm that takes chess games (stored in PGN files) and converts the landing square of each move into its corresponding character from the 8x8 table you created, appending that character to a string. further encrypt the resulting string based on the result of the match. for example, you could use an ASCII-shift of some arbitrary positive integer if white wins and the negative of that integer is black wins. in the result of a draw you could reverse the string and ASCII-shift the characters by +1. again, these are just examples, feel free to use more elaborate methods in your actual algorithm. ...

-- https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/06/write_down_your.html#c369628

(Note: Actually it's not an 8x8 table, it's 7x(mostly)8, and I had to insert some extra line breaks to reproduce it here on chesspub, but you get the idea.)

Well, the ASCII-shift flourish is a little over-the-top, but using "Ruy Lopez long algebraic" as a passphrase seems cool to me. I realize that using main line chess openings somewhat limits the solution space, but it still seems like a useful idea. Instead of an opening you could use the moves from a famous "combination"  Wink , etc. To change your password you obviously change the passphrase. Less obviously, you could keep the same passphrase and re-encrypt the chessboard; although with this second method if you have more than one passphrase (and you should), then you would have to either keep multiple chessboards around, or change all your passwords at once. For PINs you could have a board of just digits. And so on.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo