Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How to counter the thematic kingside attack? (Read 196 times)
RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: How to counter the thematic kingside attack?
Reply #1 - 09/30/18 at 19:24:32
Post Tools
nocteus wrote on 09/30/18 at 14:55:16:
Hi,

Do you know model games on how to defend this kind of attacks?

The position you show either is or looks like a Breyer, so checking out how Breyer lines work is possible.

Another idea is a Zaitsev style .. exd4 followed by .. c5. The more open centre may mean that you can capture the piece if they play f5. Also worth exploring is the possibility of doing something different earlier before they play d4. There's no direct threat of them going dxe5 dxe5 Nxe5 winning a pawn, so there's a choice of defensive structures. That's part of the problem because you cannot so easily adopt a "named" defence.

A book on the Zaitsev noted that the traditional Zaitsev move order was designed to prevent the Nd2-f1-g3 manoeuvre by putting direct pressure on the e4 pawn from the Bb7 and Re8. That's also an idea in the Breyer where the Bishop has to drop back from b3 to c2 to allow Nd2-f1-g3.

Yet another idea is to play the Queen to d7. This enables Re8 without having to play h6, as the Knight on c6 can drop back to d8 and reappear on e6.

What I am suggesting is to study the main lines, not with a view to remembering them move by move, since you won't get the exact positions, but with the objective to have a number of possible piece configurations available.

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

How to counter the thematic kingside attack?
09/30/18 at 14:55:16
Post Tools
Hi,
I feel tired of defending the black side of the Closed/Slow d3 Ruy Lopez. Not that it is challenging theoretically but the task of the white player to coordinate an attack is sooo easy.
For instance I reach positions like this one (pawn either on d4 or d3),
Then, any moment, the white player switches the autopilot mode on, and: Nf1-g3, Nfh4 and sac on f5 even if g6 is played, or Nh2-g4, sac, sac and mate.

Do you know model games on how to defend this kind of attacks? I need to improve my sense for these positions. I try to browse through Keres' games, but it is a long task ahead.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo