Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Chessbase 15 printing crashes program. (Read 370 times)
an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Re: Chessbase 15 printing crashes program.
Reply #8 - Today at 19:21:39
Post Tools
Not 100% sure what you are looking to do. Maybe this?
  • In CB14: Home | Clipboard | "Copy current position to clipboard (position + text)"
  • In notepad: Paste gives just the FEN

The File menu (Save, Print, Diagram List) never did anything useful for my purposes. I work in PGN, FEN/EPD, and, when I want a PDF, in RTF.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #7 - Today at 08:34:17
Post Tools
I just tried to copy a diagram position to a text file and now I didn't just get the diagram but lots of extraneous info as well, players; names, result, etc. Does anyone know how to get rid of this and just obtain the diagram position? Huh

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/13/18 at 20:58:38
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/13/18 at 10:09:50:
CB15 has been running fine on my computer ever since my previous post, and all my customisations and printing preferences have now stayed, but I have turned off all the new 'bells and whistles' as i am just using the program to get the ChessPublishing updates online at the moment, not to prepare openings or analyse games.

Found another bug. If you choose to use different colors for subvariations when you print games with analysis...Chessbase 15 prints them fine. But if you save the document and reopen the file the colors you used are no longer saved and you're forced to recolor the variations all over again.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 12/13/18 at 10:09:50
Post Tools
CB15 has been running fine on my computer ever since my previous post, and all my customisations and printing preferences have now stayed, but I have turned off all the new 'bells and whistles' as i am just using the program to get the ChessPublishing updates online at the moment, not to prepare openings or analyse games.

IP Logged

msiipola

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/12/18 at 12:31:26
Post Tools
Yes, all modern program is depended on other software. I wouldn't say CB is modern.

But I believe the CB crashes and misbehaviours are not caused by this. Only because of a flawed design and flawed code base, which is patched for every new version. The necessary redesign will be too expensive.

Of course I'm speculating. I have no insight in the CB development. But but my opinion is based on 40 years experience in the IT-development business and how old software normally is "maintained". 

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 12/11/18 at 14:12:20
Post Tools
msiipola wrote on 12/11/18 at 07:47:45:
A well designed program shall never crash.
Long ago I wrote a well designed program that crashed every time. The bug was in an external complex-arithmetic library. The called function did a push when it should have done a pop, so the next jump was to an address outside my program's memory space. Once the external bug was patched, my program ran perfectly.

Nowadays the situation is worse. Any moderately complicated program which uses dynamic memory and external binary dependencies is subject to crashing.

IP Logged

msiipola

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/11/18 at 07:47:45
Post Tools
"has only been one crash".

Is that good? No! A well designed program shall never crash. I have several such app's (windows).

These strange crashes and behaviour, has been a sign of Chessbase for years. As an programmer I suspect it's the same codebase used as in old versions, and some bugs are never fixed. Or requires to much work to fix.

Instead new bells and whistles has been added for every new version. But I suppose people rather pay for such, then bug fixes.

But CB has no serious challenger, so we will probably get many unexpected crashes in future new versions too.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 12/10/18 at 15:01:36
Post Tools
I've just installed CB15, and there has only been one crash so far! However, somewhat worse was that I changed all the options and customised the commands to suit my preferences yesterday, and today they have gone back to the defaults!! Hours of work lost! Angry
Has anyone else had this problem?

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Chessbase 15 printing crashes program.
12/04/18 at 05:05:46
Post Tools
Just wanted to post my observations on Chessbase 15. I'm noticing the database is crashing when using the printing feature as it goes into endless loops when previewing documents before printing the games. The workaround is to open and print the games directly from Chessbase Fritz 16. Just my two cents.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo