Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Elo and Rapid Elo count (Read 2641 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: Elo and Rapid Elo count
Reply #6 - 12/15/18 at 00:04:08
Post Tools
Now you are going from one extreme to other: from game that finishes in few minutes to game that finishes in few months  Cheesy

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #5 - 12/14/18 at 09:43:49
Post Tools
My thing used to be rapid and blitz. I realy dont that much about rating anymore more than standard delo since it is used in team matches.

Two rapid games I played in the event where odd. One game I played a draw against as black vs a WFM who has much hieger rating than me in standard elo. But I turned out that I lost points since I had hiegher rating than her in rapid. And in an other game was about the same thing, I played a draw vs player with much higher rating than me in standard elo but in rapid he had extremly low rating.

I play more correspondance chess than over the board chess these days with better results and have higher corr elo than over the board elo. Maybee I should only play corr chess...

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #4 - 12/14/18 at 01:26:16
Post Tools
I played in tournament where out of 6 rounds I played against 5 opponents all aged under 12  Angry Cry Cheesy  and let me say that they are so underrated (as well as bloody annoying with no manners, but that is another issue...), that I will never play tournaments in that region again.

In terms of rapid, I think that a lot of players are underrated, for simple fact that there are not many FIDE rapid tournaments compared to standard time control. You might be really good at rapid and rated 3000+ on ICC, but if you play only one or two rated rapid tournaments, guaranteed you are underrated.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #3 - 12/14/18 at 00:55:24
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 12/13/18 at 15:37:37:
But I don't think there's any real solution to this; at least all cures I can think of are worse than the disease.

Glicko-2? Wink

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #2 - 12/13/18 at 18:16:13
Post Tools
Yes, it's very frustrating losing points to underrated players (juniors and "professional" sandbaggers).

Nevertheless, rapid and classical chess are two different games, and I think it would be disastrous to mix their ratings up. People expect experienced adults to have lower rapid ratings than classical ratings, so a rapid rating needn't be too embarassing, even if it is not representative of your actual play.
« Last Edit: 12/13/18 at 23:50:01 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 12/13/18 at 15:37:37
Post Tools
I recognize this problem; facing underrated juniors was always a bit annoying, but in rapid they are sometimes extremely underrated.

But I don't think there's any real solution to this; at least all cures I can think of are worse than the disease.

The Elo system has always been based on one player gains rating points from a game while the other player loses an equivalent number of rating points (different coefficients complicate this somewhat). So these underrated juniors will naturally start getting their outdated rapid ratings up when they play rapid again, but the way the system works they have to take all those rating points from someone else. In this case you. Higher coefficients for juniors reduce this problem somewhat, but there's no perfect solution.

The best we can do is take it as a challenge and face up to those youngsters anyway. Though I admit I have sometimes avoided playing tournaments where I expected an especially high percentage of underrated juniors. A balanced mix of age groups is better.  Smiley

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Elo and Rapid Elo count
12/13/18 at 10:03:33
Post Tools
I played an event where I lost about 5 rapid elo points. However if I had played the same results vs the same players and if it had been standard time I would instead have gained 15 elo points. I think that FIDE neads to change counting so that one in some way so that the counting difference would have some sort of max value since adults have often more equal elo and rapid elo but many younger players has more than 300 points difference in elo and rapid elo since they got rapid elo when they where much lower rated. An other factor are that most elo rated events (in Sweden anyway) are not rapid events but standard time events so the players do not increase in both in the same period. The event I played  in was a mix of standard and rapid.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo