Latest Updates:
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Discussion forum for ChessPublishing.com, the opening theory site

Chess Theory HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opening for white according to Karpov (Read 1085 times)
wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Opening for white according to Karpov
Reply #5 - 05/24/09 at 05:53:20

my favorite player is Tal, but there is no way i can even try 1/100th of what he does.   Grin  

i like the tarrasch universal system, because it frustrates those annoying french defense players.  (no offense to those that play that)   Smiley  

i have been thinking about d4 since it is more closed, but i have not played it much.  maybe i should so i get more experience with the closed openings.   thanks for the advice.  

btw  as black my rep is:

e5 vs e4 (i don't like the Caro)  also in the process of learning the najdorf
KID vs everything else  I like to play aggressive as black.
« Last Edit: 05/24/09 at 05:55:17 by wcywing »  

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Moengo
Reply #4 - 05/23/09 at 22:58:41

Karpov invariably played the Keres-Attack versus the Scheveningen and 6.Be2 vs. the Najdorf. Against the Dragon his main preference was the Yugoslav Attack. The universal system was sometimes employed by Korchnoi, but never by Karpov.
I agree with Ruben Kuijper for a different reason. If Karpov was aged 25 now, would he have had the same repertoire? How much I adore Spielmann, I only play few of his openings.
Maybe it's better to ask yourself what kind of positions Karpov preferred and what openings give the best chance to reach them.
« Last Edit: 05/23/09 at 22:59:24 by MNb »  

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Zatox

Reply #3 - 05/23/09 at 20:37:12

I have always wondered why people would like their repetoire to be the same as their idol's. Isn't it best to make one that suits your style?

Antillian wrote on 05/23/09 at 17:08:47:
But is 1. e4 less study time than 1. d4?

Depends on what variations you play offcourse. But I think 1.d4 is actually less, If you see the theory that the sicilians has, Especially Be3 stuff, dragons, and Bg5 najdorf.
« Last Edit: 05/23/09 at 20:38:31 by Zatox »  

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Orlando
Reply #2 - 05/23/09 at 18:16:10

In his e4 days, Karpov played 3.Nc3 vs the Caro. And he played the classical 4.Nf3 5.Be2 setup vs the Pirc.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #1 - 05/23/09 at 17:08:47

But is 1. e4 less study time than 1. d4?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Opening for white according to Karpov
05/23/09 at 16:28:05

I have read chess stars book black according to Karpov.  i am trying to have my repertoire like his (if i had half of his playing ability that is a bonus). 

my try is:

ruy lopez vs e5
Be2 vs most sicilians
tarrasch vs french (using universal system)
panov-bot vs caro

any ideas what he played against pirc and other systems?  i know he played d4 but i'm trying to limit some study time.  any ideas are appreciated.  i will study his games against Kasparov and Korchnoi, always worth looking at.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print