Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Would you ever play the Sniper?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes - In Blitz    
  0 (0.0%)
Yes - In Standard Play    
  3 (27.3%)
Yes - In 'e' mail Chess    
  0 (0.0%)
No - Its not for me    
  0 (0.0%)
It's Brilliant for Juniors    
  1 (9.1%)
I Like the name    
  0 (0.0%)
I don't like the name.    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie Storey is a genuis.    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie Storey is not a genius.    
  2 (18.2%)
Charlie helped make this a great read.    
  0 (0.0%)
I wish I had invented the Sniper    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie should be applauded    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie should be shot by a Sniper    
  4 (36.4%)
I am a Cyber Coward and a bully.    
  0 (0.0%)
I stand up for the weak and against injustice.    
  1 (9.1%)

Total votes: 11
« Last Modified by: TheSniperAuthor on: 04/02/11 at 02:08:10 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Book on the Sniper announced (Read 292328 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Book on the Sniper announced
Reply #56 - 03/16/11 at 19:39:51
Post Tools
alyechin wrote on 03/16/11 at 14:27:11:
I want to mention the Bangiev-CD for chessbase:
He also proposes g6, Bg7 and c5 against anything. Does the author of "the Sniper" know about this CD?

He definitely should. The "Squares Strategy" Black repertoire is the one previous work that deals with most of the same lines as the Sniper.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #55 - 03/16/11 at 17:21:18
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/16/11 at 12:10:06:
Is this a wind-up? Or just a meander into the absurd. Perhaps Tony K could check that it is the real author behind the alias.

That's a good idea, because no way I can take SniperAuthor's answer seriously.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

JN

Reply #54 - 03/16/11 at 16:43:06
Post Tools
I have bought and read the entire book. I'm not that disappointed with neither the content nor with the paper quality, etc. I did not expect to find a safe winning recipe for black and I couldn’t care less about paper quality etc. My only real problem with the book is the rather brief coverage of what I find to be the most challenging line for black in the so-called pure Sniper:

1. e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 c5 4.dxc5! Bxc3 5.bxc3 Qa5 (the two other lines (4…Nf6 and 4…Nc6) discussed by the author are probably worse) 6.Qd4 Nf6 7.Qb4! Nc6 8.Qxa5 Nxa5. Black is down a pawn. Rybka is close to +1.00. The author briefly mentions something about playing a later b6 a la Benko. I think this critical line deserves more coverage than just a single game.

I have spent some time trying to find a playable way for black in the 4.dxc5! line. But white just looks to be way better. This is maybe why some people only play the Sniper with a Sicilian move order where white has played Nf3 – e.g., 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.d4 Bg7.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 03/16/11 at 14:27:11
Post Tools
I want to mention the Bangiev-CD for chessbase:
He also proposes g6, Bg7 and c5 against anything. Does the author of "the Sniper" know about this CD?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 03/16/11 at 12:45:32
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/16/11 at 12:10:06:
Is this a wind-up? Or just a meander into the absurd. Perhaps Tony K could check that it is the real author behind the alias. Likely just someone taking the p*** at the unfortunate author's expense. Surely this cannot be serious - just repeated shooting of self in the foot with every comment if is.

If it is the real author, and I still presume not, can't imagine that anyone could have a 'hidden agenda'. 'Sinister sources'? Regarding a chess book? This isn't 24, Spooks or Le Carre. Can't believe it could be personal as unlikely that anyone here would know him from Avrukh were they to encounter in a pub.

Perhaps a childhood mishap with 'g' by those who view the book with disfavour. Trampled underfoot by galloping green giraffes in Guildford as an infant.

Sean Marsh and Raymondo? No, really? Now, that John Elburg....

Haven't seen the book, won't buy it as my taste for whimsy and absurdity takes me in other directions, but criticism shouldn't be necessarily taken as indicative of evil forces at work.

All quite funny though and some triffic spelling mistakes thrown in too, even in the poll. Nice.

Anyhow, cheers for the distraction with the wacky conspiracy theories. Now back to my more mundane life pondering nuclear radiation, earthquakes etc.... Tin hat on and jump.

Actually, there is a link to the interview given at the Everyman site. This is the one mentioned above at Marsh Towers.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #51 - 03/16/11 at 12:10:06
Post Tools
Is this a wind-up? Or just a meander into the absurd. Perhaps Tony K could check that it is the real author behind the alias. Likely just someone taking the p*** at the unfortunate author's expense. Surely this cannot be serious - just repeated shooting of self in the foot with every comment if is.

If it is the real author, and I still presume not, can't imagine that anyone could have a 'hidden agenda'. 'Sinister sources'? Regarding a chess book? This isn't 24, Spooks or Le Carre. Can't believe it could be personal as unlikely that anyone here would know him from Avrukh were they to encounter in a pub.

Perhaps a childhood mishap with 'g' by those who view the book with disfavour. Trampled underfoot by galloping green giraffes in Guildford as an infant.

Sean Marsh and Raymondo? No, really? Now, that John Elburg....

Haven't seen the book, won't buy it as my taste for whimsy and absurdity takes me in other directions, but criticism shouldn't be necessarily taken as indicative of evil forces at work.

All quite funny though and some triffic spelling mistakes thrown in too, even in the poll. Nice.

Anyhow, cheers for the distraction with the wacky conspiracy theories. Now back to my more mundane life pondering nuclear radiation, earthquakes etc.... Tin hat on and jump.

IP Logged

pioleiva
YaBB Newbies

Those who dont move dont
feel their freedom...

Reply #50 - 03/16/11 at 11:22:07
Post Tools
Well, maybe your book is interesting. And I agree that complaining about "h4 ideas" missing is not to the point.

But it does not help your cause when you accuse others of following a "sinister hidden agenda".

If you look at this thread, you will find some very interesting ideas that at first sight seem to question the theoretical value of some Sniper lines.
Just enter the discussion! This community is actually very productive when ist comes to discovering critical variations. Shouldn't you be interested in this?
Also , Donaldsons review raises some intersting questions about the Maroczy lines. You simply can't claim proposed critical variations and improvements to be part of a "sinister agenda" and expect to be taken seriously.

IP Logged

TheSniperAuthor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 03/16/11 at 11:10:51
Post Tools
The Sniper  Wink

Has it been represented here - or have their been hidden agendas?  Smiley

The Sniper Monthly Update

see     http://www.CharlieCHESS.com
IP Logged

TheSniperAuthor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #48 - 03/16/11 at 10:59:07
Post Tools
And you do not deserve the knowledge that is contained within the book - I'l have the knowledge and the Wisdom and you keep your money. But don't try and pretend there are not hidden agendas. I guess that's part of human nature just as jealousy can be - I feel there's a bit of that going on here - if some people are upset they didn't conceive the idea of The Sniper been bothered to put in the 5 years work to bring it to fruition then that's there own laziness - Don't come into a public place and bring stupid criticism that is not balanced nor appropriate - save it for your conversations that are private. If you think £12 is not justified for the amount of effort that has gone into this book then I question your assessment ability not just on these comments but also on your chess assessments. Perhaps you think Topalov's playing of The Sniper is not worthy of study or Carlsens Dragons or the fact or variations are checked with Rybka - maybe your upset that I have created a brand New Opening name. Or discovered a new Defence against 1.d4 - Your hidden agenda is ridiculous - it has to be a hidden agenda your critique as to me your comments are overly bias, pedantic and primitive.If you have something positive to say contribute or please don't bother - I would rather not have to respond to the stupid comments - my time is valuable organising and promoting Junior Chess activities in the North of England.

Regards  www.CharlieChess.com

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #47 - 03/16/11 at 09:44:41
Post Tools
TheSniperAuthor wrote on 03/16/11 at 00:37:26:
I hope readers are not influenced by those comments

I am influenced - not by those comments, but by your theory of "hidden agenda". Someone who writes nonsense like that doesn't deserve my hard earned money, so I won't buy your book.
Thank you for helping to make my mind up.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TheSniperAuthor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 03/16/11 at 00:37:26
Post Tools
I have watched some of the comments on this post with some interest and it seems there is some resistance to The Sniper which is hardly surprising as there are several members with an agenda against The Sniper fueling this post. I am curious as to why they have not referenced many of the excellent reviews such as from GM Keene in The Times, & Spectator or from Sean Marsh at Marsh Towers, both iconic in their journalistic field.
How they have not mentioned that The Sniper is a fantastic  modern opening idea that produces some highly original and creative sound ideas, all checked with Rybka. It is clear in this post that when rationale was put toward The Sniper argument the hidden agenda boys came out with pedantic and almost 'bullying' views. I am new to openings publishing and as this is my début authoring book, but I have seen already posts that are designed to dissuade readers from purchasing the book and trying to sway them to another and in some cases being rude and cheeky - I find all this all a bit sinister and I expect better from the Chess Community, I hope readers are not influenced by those comments, or if they have they have been to integrate some balance with the following from The Sniper Author;
The Sniper took 4 years of research and then 14 Months to write and is packed full of amazing contributions to opening theory - To be concerned that I didn't cover all 5 openings that can be transposed to is a stupid critique that devalues that persons post in my humble view. If players or rival companies need to get there mates to do this then that should tell you how good The Sniper really is. Of course not all lines are covered - but a lot of people have wished to be 'spoon fed' on some of the variations (Or have a sinister reason?)  I have omitted - specifically the poor h4 idea which is so sub standard and a poor hackers move I decided to save paper but I'l publish it at the end of this post. As many of the players here still don't fully understand advanced opening principles (Not Masterly Principles) I 'will spoon feed you'. I do have a Sniper Monthly Update Site which looks at all of the new issues in The Sniper, and by the way when say a book on the French came out did that cover every variation and accurately? of course not all openings are a work in progress - at least mine have been critiqued by Rybka and the excellent staff at EverymanCHESS - honestly some of the comments here are ridiculous and hardly worth a reply, however, I know Chess Publishing is an excellent and respected site and it is important balance is brought to the honest majority on here so they can make an informed opinion on how excellent The Sniper is rather than a doctored one from sinister sources.

Out of respect to Chess Publishing I will not post my Sniper Monthly Update site, although I would be open to offers to becoming a Chess Publishing Author if they were to approach me.  I'm about to show you why  the White h4 advance is so poor to show you that its omission was completely justified despite whatever my rivals may have said!

Okay  - before the h4 bust explanation; here's some credible reviews from highly credible sources - not just from the guy who has a hidden agenda against the most incredible opening discovery of the 20th Century - The Sniper.

The Times 26th Feb 2011 by GM Ray Keene:

I have been impressed by a recently published book (The Sniper by Charlie Storey (EverymanChess). This provides a powerful Black counter attacking repertoire based on the moves 1…g6 2…Bg7 3…c5 against almost any White set-up. I was particularly impressed with the author’s extensive experience in the variation,his chatty tone which undoubtedly assists the educational process and the fact that the critical variations have been checked in depth by the Rybka computer program. Here is one of the author’s wins with his pet defence.”

Arguably, the most important review in the UK for any chess book - surely carrying more weight than a non professional?

http://marshtowers.blogspot.com/ ; if you would like to see the diagrams with the article.

Posted by Sean Marsh
Tuesday, 1 March 2011
The Sniper Revisited
As a companion piece to my review of ‘The Sniper’, I present a short interview with the book’s author – FIDE Master Charlie Storey.

When did you first get the idea of turning your Sniper experiences into a book?

I have played g6 systems my entire life – that is since falling in love with chess at 14 years old. The book idea did not materialise until 2008 where I simply collected my thoughts into a ChessBase printout and used it to try and remember the positions and also try and understand the labyrinth of ECO Codes that make up The Sniper System.

At that point I did not want to turn it into a book as I knew it would help me to win Swiss events as the surprise value did – and still does – reap a high amount of points with Black – crucial to win Swiss events.

Incidentaly, ‘The National Chess Syllabus’ was my first book and I self published it through Trafford. I upgrade it every two years. It has now been used by many schools in The UK and the Bandana Exams are available to take online (and are used in many schools).
Go to http://www.wcoengland.com/tncs/ if you would like to try a Bandana Online Test with Automatic certificate release if you pass! I mention it because if any publisher would like me to take its next evolution and future evolution I would be open to any good offers.

Were Everyman keen on the project from the start or were you required to take a ‘hard sell’ approach?

When I approached Everyman, GM John Emms was quite enthused with the idea, I had been given a role as England Under 16 Olympiad Coach and had just defeated GM Keith Arkell (with The Sniper) at the 2009 ECF National Championships. This was just enough leverage to get the seal for The Sniper Project.

How long did the book take to write?

I already had the ChessBase printouts but if I could use an analogy that was simply the Bones of the Human Being, I had no idea the Nervous System, Muscular System, The Brain, The Soul and The Spirit were going to take 14 long hard months after that! I had imagined it would have taken four months maximum when I signed the contract in November 2009.

The reason the book is as good as its (in my humble opinion) is mainly down to John Emms critiquing it from every vector, although I found this extremely frustrating I had decided to take the approach of ‘whatever John says goes – so fix it!’ In simple hours I would say approximately ten hours per week x 60 weeks = 600 hours. It took so long because I checked every line – many 10-15 moves deep with Rybka/Fritz. The many variations that aren’t in the book took up a considerable amount of time too.

There can be a temptation for to keep back a few secrets when writing about one’s favourite chess opening. How did you resist such a temptation, knowing that to reveal all of your secrets could lead to trouble over the board?

I wanted The Sniper to be able to stand ‘The Test of Time’ in the critical evaluation sense – there was no getting around it as many of the creative solutions were simply necessary to circumvent White from getting an edge and when I tried to hold back GM John Emms sensed it and immediately told me to find better solutions to the variations! There’s no getting past John – we could do with him in goal for Arsenal!

You make reference to your private Sniper database in the bibliography. How many Sniper games have you played?

I have played over 3000 Sniper Games – mainly at ICC Speed chess and long games – my 4/4 at The National Champs in 2009 was the moment I knew I had something very special – I often play 2nd Class variations of The Sniper to enable its camouflage for when I play real games, although I still critique them professionally at my Monthly Sniper Update site http://www.wcoengland.com/wp-login.php?action=register

Are you still developing The Sniper or have you moved on since the completion of the book?

The Sniper Monthly Update gets updated on the first of every month and is £20 for a year – I maintain, develop and add all content myself putting my Computer Graduate skills to good use. There will be analysis of all main Sniper games, analysis of my own and members’ experiences with The Sniper, video training, a free Sniper email chess server and 1-1 Sniper training facility. Users can also post their comments and I will be adding much more content as we develop new technologies – including a Sniper Mind Map!

I enjoy the simuls that I do across the country, it gives me a chance to meet real chess enthusiasts and sign a few books, to spice things up I offer a my fee challenge. It works like this: £50 is paid to my travel expenses, then my fee of £150 is shared amongst all winners in The Sniper Simul. Its good for organisers who can easily get 20 players to pay £12. This pays for my fees, motivates all players to ‘Take Out The Sniper’ and puts a few quid in the organisers pocket. Its a great event and I do them on Sundays 1pm-6pm. I prefer to do them at good venues – typically at football stadiums such as the one I did at Hull City F.C. which was organised excellently by Mike Butt and the Yorkshire Chess Federation.

If there were two Charlie Storeys who played each other at chess and the game featured the Sniper, would you back White or Black to win?

THE h4 BUST.

1. It neglects the centre and passes the central initiative to Black.
2. When it does comes to h5 Black is more than happy to trade Rooks.
3. If Black prefers to wedge it on h6 - Black will take on c3 with the Sniper Bishop and play a quick ...d5 Both Rybka and myself strongly prefer Black in this situation.

In Summary WHITE broke an initial fundamental principle (He who breaks first basic principle will suffer a disadvantage - you just have to search for it.) and was punished through 'becoming Black' in the central struggle and Black 'became White' in the central struggle - The only justification for that is if the 'h' Pawn advance gains something useful - Yes it wedges a Pawn at h6 - but I'm off to the Queen - Side with the King with and the lions share of the centre and whole host of weakened g file squares to utilise later.

My Sniper Rybka analysis transcends many popular moves that I could have included as past Masters have sometimes played very weak opening moves due to not fully understanding advanced and beyond advanced principles which Rybka et al can give us - although it still requires a Master at the wheel.

F.M. Charlie Storey

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #45 - 03/13/11 at 12:23:10
Post Tools
Just had an ICC 5-min quickie against the Sniper author. Named TheSniperAuthor.

Played snipery stuff.
Not a classic (blame my youngest for interrupting me) but attached anyhow....

If you can manage the garish colours, Carpathian II by Okhotnik useful for g6, c5 stuff versus 1.d4 btw.

bibs-TheSniperAuthor.pgn ( 0 KB | 142 Downloads )

IP Logged

clickclick

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #44 - 03/12/11 at 22:56:54
Post Tools
John Donaldson has published a review on 'the Sniper' on http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_jd/The_Sniper.html. I am usually quite critical of Donaldson's reviews because he recommends everything, but this one is pretty decent, which should come as no surprise because he knows what he is talking about when it comes to the Accelerated Dragon.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #43 - 03/10/11 at 16:14:40
Post Tools
There was also a pair of articles on the Schmid in the Yearbook just recently, by Kasparov (GM Sergey, that is).  He was addressing certain lines for Black; for example in the classical main line with Be2 (as opposed to Bb5+) he called 7...Na6 (which I rather like) "sluggish" and instead analyzed his preferred 7...e6.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #42 - 03/10/11 at 15:14:20
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/10/11 at 14:12:43:
Schmidt Benoni.
Struggle to find sources which actually explain it and/or give key games.

Anyhow, my only two reasonably decent sources are:

Richter Veresov System - Jimmy Adams, 1978

A Killer Chess Opening Repertoire - Summerscale/Johnsen, 2010

I also have the book g3g6 mentioned: Queen's Pawn Opening, Pseudo-Benoni: 1.d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 c5 3. d5 - Schneider/Erdelyi, 2000 (though my copy is the German version).

Don't know if it's still sold new, but you can find it used.

The theory is both systematic and built into complete games, like in Schneider's Dragon books. Most thorough on the 6.Be2 and 6.Bb5+ Schmid Benoni main lines and 3.d5 b5. The also interesting 6.h3 0-0 7.a4 (7.Be2? b5!) and 6.Bc4 are relatively neglected. I think there was a NIC Yearbook article on 6.Bc4 sometime in the early 00s.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo