Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Would subscribers like to see the pop-up games come back?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes - fantastic!    
  17 (70.8%)
I would prefer to see them    
  4 (16.7%)
Not bothered    
  3 (12.5%)

Total votes: 24
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) JavaScript pop-up games (Read 12447 times)
Quark
YaBB Newbies

Sic transit gloria mundi....

Re: JavaScript pop-up games
Reply #18 - 02/15/03 at 07:26:50
Post Tools
I would also like to add my thanks for thje return of the pop-up games. This way the entire opening-studying process can go much quicker!
Thanks again chesspublishing.com!  Smiley

IP Logged

mattg
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 02/10/03 at 21:55:06
Post Tools
    I'd like to add my thanks for the return of the pop-up games!   I'm one of those who reads chesspublishing for interest rather than for serious study, and I always liked the easy access of the pop-ups.  One minor suggestion- might it be possible to add a button to the pop-up screen that would automatically bring up the next game in the update?

Thanks Again

Matt

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #16 - 02/10/03 at 14:29:31
Post Tools
Why don't you use the left and right arrows on the keyboard, it is much quicker! Wink

IP Logged

Raspje

Reply #15 - 02/10/03 at 10:47:48
Post Tools
Indeed, I like the Javagames, Cheesy but a small problem seems to be the low speed with which you can replay the games. CrySometimes I get stuck and I have to click twice before I can continue. Maybe it is my mouse? The old games were much faster.

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Reply #14 - 02/09/03 at 00:42:30
Post Tools
Great and quick job!! It's awesome to have a responsive team that does features on the fly and not taking several years to introduce new/old stuff. You are doing great job. Keep it up and I am sure that the whole world chess community will soon be crawling around ChessPublishing.com.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #13 - 02/08/03 at 16:06:47
Post Tools
Well, you can't say we don't listen to our subscribers! Wink
You asked for the JS games back, and here they are, as promised - we hope you like them!
Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #12 - 01/14/03 at 03:55:56
Post Tools
I must say I agree with this last post - although the JS games are of little interest to 'serious' players, I thought that removing them took some of the 'clickability' or a little of the fun out of the site. Sad
I think that we will definitely bring them back within the next week or two.
Smiley

IP Logged

lwolf123

Reply #11 - 01/12/03 at 18:11:46
Post Tools
For someone that is "serious" about using Chess Publishing, there probably isn't a need for Java pop-up games.

For myself, I find that I'm not using the site as much as I used to.

There's quite a few steps to downloading and viewing the PGN games. Before (with pop-up games), I'd visit on a whim and peruse games that were interesting. Now, it's an effort (albeit minor), that I often forego Smiley

With the pop-up games, I'd eventually hit all the sections during the month. That's not happening now. 

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Reply #10 - 01/12/03 at 13:53:31
Post Tools
Yes, the way it is setup right now is absolutely aceptable and useful. I also download pgn files and play through them.

If there is any improvements and changes in the future in current structure, downloadable pgn files are the must in any case!!

PS: I never print the pdf eBook Smiley But that's me...

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #9 - 01/12/03 at 04:42:40
Post Tools
Hi everyone,
This conversation about pop-up JS games seems to have strayed over into one about eBooks!
Firstly, we did consider a ChessBase-style eBook where you could click on the games and a board would open with the game in, but this would only be feasible using the Chessbase propriatory format, as there would be little point the games opening unless it was in a Chessbase board, and it thus was possible to analyse them, use Fritz, etc. Otherwise, it would be simpler to use the PGN ChessBase Guides with the respective games. The two reasons we didn't were (apart from possible problems with ChessBase): that we would lose the big advantages of PDF files, that they print nicely and are completely cross-platform, and it would also take an enormous amount of work each month! At the moment we have to update hundreds of chapters in 40/50 eBooks each month, without having to connect all the game references to the various games. I did write a CD for ChessBase once (on the Classical Sicilian) in just this format and I found it was very unwieldy, indeed. Sad
Anyway, it was because of this that we included the eBooks as PGN files so that once downloaded it was possible to play through a 'chapter' on ChessBase in one window, whilst playing through the various games in another window. At least, that it is the way I use them!
Smiley

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Reply #8 - 01/10/03 at 10:37:19
Post Tools
I never actually had any Chessbase Opening CDs but I heared a lot about them and i think to kinda replicate their structure onto the ChessPublishing eBooks is not a bad idea at all.

Instead of CDs though, it would be one downloadable file that after unzipping will become a folder with all needed files and all of them would be appropriately connected to make sure there is a smooth linkage between teh text, games, etc.

Well, it's not something that can be done within a day anyhow Smiley So I suspect if this idea (or the combination of above once) comes to reality one day it will take much time to design it that way.

On a side note (or the main note?),I found those JS pop-ups in old updates on teh webiste and found them really usefull for quick check trhough the updates details and games. So, I guess I would join all those people voting to bring it back Wink

IP Logged

Tigger
YaBB Newbies

Chess club, aint no party
like a chess club party

Reply #7 - 01/10/03 at 08:30:07
Post Tools
Whilst I like the e-books to some extent it is a bit awkward having to switch from e-book to chess publisher and then to chessbase for lines other than those in updates. If possible one solution would be the books done as in chessbase cds with a text introduction and actual links rather than just references to all relevant games. Aside from this I thought the java based pop up games were great and it is a shame they were taken off, they allowed for an easy way of quickly browsing different lines.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #6 - 01/08/03 at 06:18:41
Post Tools
No, if the JS games come back they would be in addition to everything else Smiley We will see what we can do about adding the changed chapters to the download pages.
Thanks for your input!

IP Logged

sammael
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #5 - 01/07/03 at 13:44:43
Post Tools
I would also like to see the PGN included with the eBook. A delta-version (with only the updated pages & games in PGN) for the eBook would be appreciated. Keep up the good work !

Grin

IP Logged

Packman1959
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #4 - 01/07/03 at 07:28:02
Post Tools
I'd love to see the JavaScript games come, back. But would the this do away with the eBooks because I love them too  Smiley The PGN ChessPub Guides on the same page as the eBooks sounds like a good idea.

Regards,&&R.S.W.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo