Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What do you play against 1. e4 (Read 11882 times)
H-HH

Re: What do you play against 1. e4
Reply #20 - 07/09/06 at 08:32:47
Post Tools
Quote:
Quote from castlerock on 03/25/06 at 06:35:04:
The method of wedge determines the space and the side of attack. That’s why you see white playing on the Queen Side, Black in the king side and vice-versa in French. Imo there is nothing similar in the pawn structure. Because of this vertical division of play area in many lines, the game can be double edged in both French and KID. That’s the only similarity I can find.

My 2c.

I was not talking about a particular structure, but a particular kind of structure; one with locked pawn chains and "bad" bishops.  Both the Kings Indian and the French often give rise to these, I think most people would agree.  The French is much more likely to produce this kind of structure than 1...e5 is, for example. 

that's exactly my point when i said that the structures are similar.
In the variations that the centre is closed the structure of the french is a mirror of the KID's so to say.

French defence forever, Fide 2035.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #19 - 03/27/06 at 18:08:30
Post Tools
castlerock wrote on 03/25/06 at 06:35:04:
The method of wedge determines the space and the side of attack. That’s why you see white playing on the Queen Side, Black in the king side and vice-versa in French. Imo there is nothing similar in the pawn structure. Because of this vertical division of play area in many lines, the game can be double edged in both French and KID. That’s the only similarity I can find.

My 2c.

I was not talking about a particular structure, but a particular kind of structure; one with locked pawn chains and "bad" bishops.  Both the Kings Indian and the French often give rise to these, I think most people would agree.  The French is much more likely to produce this kind of structure than 1...e5 is, for example. 

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #18 - 03/27/06 at 01:33:01
Post Tools
I think that many or most KID players choose their defense vs 1.e4 based on their character/personality and attitude towards the game and the fight.

Many KID players choose the Sicilian because of the fight, the nature of the conflict.  It is one of the most important fighting defenses to 1.d4 and maybe the most aggressive or with the most aggressive intent, to attack the White King.

The Sicilian defense is perhaps the most aggressive response to 1.e4.

That's my choice and those are my reasons.

Angry

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #17 - 03/25/06 at 06:35:04
Post Tools

My 2c.

CastleRock

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #16 - 03/23/06 at 16:30:21
Post Tools
H-HH wrote on 03/23/06 at 15:48:50:
i play the french.
actually i started to play the KID few days ago cause ut has a similar structure to the french Cool

I think that that's basically sound reasoning.  I don't think that the KID literally "has a structure similar to the French," but I think that it often does give rise to closed positions and locked pawn chains, just as the French does.  So if that is the kind of game you like to play, I think that KID + French is a good repertoire.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

H-HH

Reply #15 - 03/23/06 at 15:48:50
Post Tools
i play the french.
actually i started to play the KID few days ago cause ut has a similar structure to the french Cool

French defence forever, Fide 2035.

IP Logged

photophore

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #14 - 11/05/04 at 18:38:21
Post Tools
Well!
my answer lies in the 2 ICCF thematic tournaments I am currently engaging : one on Two Knights Defence , and one on Taimanov KID : on 1 e4 I merely play e5 , and on 3 Bb5 open defence of Ruy Lopez
Illogical? Not at all! simply , I dislike to undergo events , and I want to fight for initiative , even with Black Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #13 - 11/05/04 at 09:39:12
Post Tools
Against 1.e4 I play the Najdorf Sicilian (I'm addicted to heavily theorized lines without knowing a lot of theory) and nonboring lines (If I can help it) with 1...e5.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #12 - 01/08/04 at 08:37:24
Post Tools
A further point in favour of having the Pirc in your repertoire is that you can avoid the Tromp and a lot of the 'd-pawn specials' altogether by means of 1.d4 d6!? when 2.Bg5 looks a bit silly (although still possible, for the die-hard!).

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #11 - 01/07/04 at 20:52:44
Post Tools
I would definitely pick something with a fianchettoed king's bishop. Since the Pirc/Modern would be a good choice since they, like the KID, are hypermodern openings. Sicilian is also an excellent alternative and the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6(!) dodges will land you back in either a Dragon or Accelerated Dragon (theory is not so bad in the accelerated), but it also some of the more annoying anti-sicilians such as 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ or 3. c3.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #10 - 12/29/03 at 10:23:12
Post Tools
I have played the Caro Kann for many years against e4 and the KID against everything else. Occassionally, I have tried the Dragon and Accelerated Dragon (love the fianchetto), but many players play antin sicilians, and there is a mountain of theory to learn. Lately, I have been playing the Pirc, which I think most closely relates to the KID. I still run the Caro out there against tough competition or if I am in a slump, but I am leaning on the Pirc more and more.

IP Logged

Jon

Reply #9 - 12/23/03 at 17:01:53
Post Tools
I agree with Neric.  There are many similaritie between the closed ruy lopez and the KID.  Ironically, suspect many players shy away from the 1..e5 because of all the gambits rather than the ruy lopez.  The relationship between, say, the KID and the King's Gambit is less obvious.  Still, the top players aren't too concerned about the alternative to the ruy lopez with the possible exception of the Scotch.  I really like Emm's book on playing the open game, required reading if you are considering 1..e5.

IP Logged

caro fanatic

Reply #8 - 07/21/03 at 06:00:52
Post Tools
Personally, I play the Caro against e4. It started out because I could just plat moves like Nf6, Bf5, e6, Bd6, Nbd7, Qc7 and 0-0-0 with a ready made attack on th K-side. Then I realised I had to learn some theory. However, I have the saying,
'A good French is a Caro-Kann'
because how many times do you read in books that Black has a good French position, because his Bishop is outside the pawn chain. That, my friends, is a
Caro-Kann position, a French-type position where the Bishop is outside the pawn chain.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #7 - 06/18/03 at 19:56:01
Post Tools
I've been trying to switch from KID to Leningrad Dutch simply because all the lines after 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nc3 are boring as anything. At the present, as I still don't have all the Dutch theory in line, I'm playing Dutch and equal and lower rated opponents and the KID against higher rated players. Against 1. e4, I love the Sicilian Dragon (if you couldn't guess)!

IP Logged

bckm

Start the day with a smile
and get it over with...

Reply #6 - 05/11/03 at 19:43:52
Post Tools
The theory of pawn-chains is EXACTLY why I play the KID against 1.d4 and the French against 1.e4.  I think this is a good part of the reason most of us do that, but not all; look at Botvinnik and Korchnoi; they hardly ever played the KID as Black.

I guess it's a point of curiosity but not really much more than that.  Except for me; the pawn chain IS the reason for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo