Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 4Bd2 (Read 2161 times)
John Simmons

Re: 4Bd2
Reply #4 - 11/23/04 at 07:12:00
Post Tools
Smyslov used this move, by transposition, against Ribli to wrap up Candidates match with draw. So it is a perfectly solid move, just not much hope for an advantage. When playing black, particularly against 1d4, sometimes have to put up with this kind of thing. My preference is for b6, aiming to control e4 in usual nimzo style.

Bye John S

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #3 - 11/18/04 at 19:15:19
Post Tools
Raymond D. Keene and D.N. Levy made the following comment on 4.Bd2 in their book "How to play the opening in chess" ;

`4B-Q2. Black now obtains good chances with 4...P-QN3, reaching a position from Variation 2 (Q-side fianchetto by Black), in which White has the useless move B-Q2 - useless, because after; e.g., 4 B-Q2, P-QN3; 5.P-QR3. BxN: 6 BxB, Black could even play 6...N-K5, and White doesn`t keep his bishop after all`

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

Bumble

How to exploit this...
Reply #2 - 01/27/04 at 11:54:52
Post Tools
I too face this move all the time. If it is so weak, how do we take advantage of it? It sounds like a they have made a mistake... can we sieze the initiative? Is it similar to a wasted tempo?? I feel like I should be excited to see this move played against me but us intermediates don't know how to take advantage. I realize that most of the users of this site are advanced but perhaps we could all use some comments on this. Thanks, Mike

P.S. I briefly glossed over the archives on this issue, but if it has already been handled could someone point me in the right direction?

IP Logged

GMJohnEmms
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - 02/25/03 at 09:48:13
Post Tools
Hi Rory,

Yes, 4 Bd2 is condemned by many texts, but it's really not so bad and has similar motives to 4 Qc2. I think I'll take another look at it in my next update.

All the best,

John Smiley

IP Logged

Rory
YaBB Newbies

4Bd2
02/15/03 at 07:54:58
Post Tools
Hello John (& everyone else),
I have recently come up against 4Bd2 in the Nimzo and while there is general agreement that white loses a lot of his advantage here I (as a complete patzer) have had some difficulty against it. I your book (easy guide...) you recommend 4...c5 and 4...d5 and give this line 2 pages in all. Do you still hold with this (black doesn't seem to do very well with either move, scoring 37% in my megabase 2002) or are there any new ideas here.
regards
Rory

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo