Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Austrian Attack 5... c5 - 9... Kf8!? (Read 2754 times)
alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: Austrian Attack 5... c5 - 9... Kf8!?
Reply #2 - 02/20/03 at 14:25:16
Post Tools
Well, I've looked at the idea but I'm afraid I still don't like it: simply 10.Nb5: Qa5+ 11.Nc3 cd4: 12.Nd4: Kf7: 13.0-0! looks good for White to me and depressingly Fritz, Shredder and Crafty all agree with me ...

Any other views?

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: Austrian Attack 5... c5 - 9... Kf8!?
Reply #1 - 02/19/03 at 04:52:07
Post Tools
Hmm ... I never go into that line with Black - it just feels wrong to me - although admittedly playing 8...fxe6 does mean you have to be content with a forced draw, nobody has ever played that against me (very few people play the Austrian anyway in my experience).

But I admit I had never even considered 9...Kf8 - if I get a moment sometime in the next few days I will have a look and give you the dubious benefit of my thoughts!

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Tom Connelly

Austrian Attack 5... c5 - 9... Kf8!?
02/15/03 at 11:59:44
Post Tools
Hi All,

In the following variation of the Austrian attack black usually plays 9... Kd7, however black can try 9...Kf8!? There seems to be little or no book on this move, yet the the resulting positions do not seem worse than in the main lines. Perhaps I am missing a good continuation for white - can you see what it might be?

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. f4 Bg7 5. Nf3 c5 6. Bb5+ Bd7 7. e5 Ng4 8. e6 Bxb5 9. exf7+ Kf8!?

Last year I put this question to Nigel Davies who seemed to think it might be viable and suggested that after white recaptures with 10. Nxb5 black should play 10... Qb6!? - but with little analysis

I would be interested in your opinions or variations.

Tom

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo