Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Introduce yourself here (Read 18646 times)
mileen
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Introduce yourself here
Reply #45 - 07/05/13 at 07:42:03
Post Tools
My name is Aileen Taylor, my dad is Timothy Taylor who is a writer of chess books and an IM. I have played chess for fun over the years and recently gotten more into it, with the invention of so many chess apps and online playing. Now I don't need to make time for an occasional game, I can just have one or two going on my phone with players from different cities. Smiley

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #44 - 05/31/13 at 07:11:51
Post Tools
Better late than never.
My name is Dominique Laurain, early 50 yo.
I am living in Toulouse France.
I practiced chess at various levels in french championships and some tournaments outside France (Cork,Budapest 1st Saturday, thai BCC tournament in Phuket/Pattaya/Bangkok).
I had the chance to meet some famous GM posting or managing here ... of course, because many left native country to stay south France  (Glenn has been one of the 3  GM who sacrified queen in game with me).
I am super big-fan of French defence and owns so many books from Watson/Uhlmann/... that I stopped counting. My method of studying is using Bookup software, entering move after move and comments (after 20 years...I have a supra big-book...and my method helps me to keep some lines in memory).
I like to play Grunfeld too (got fun with it from very good lessons from canadian chessplayer)...but don't dare to put some posts here.
Oh...forgot too: I am computer science (and also mathematics) engineer .

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #43 - 05/20/13 at 06:01:27
Post Tools
Just a reminder that this thread is here and it would be great for more of the active members to introduce themselves (or maybe you have an important update!).

Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #42 - 11/12/04 at 18:15:34
Post Tools
Richtig Opfern does not fulfil criteria 1 (what do you expect, from a book of 1936?) but it is the most inspiring book I ever read. It gave me back the pleasure in chess when I had lost it.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #41 - 11/12/04 at 07:05:44
Post Tools
My criteria for books:
1) It should be inspiring
2) It should stand up to analytical scrutiny.

Both conditions are important, but to me (1) is more important than (2). For instance I like Dunnington's 1.d4 book even though me and my silicon friend both disagree with his assesments in some lines. I found his book inspiring. His recommendation against the Leningrad Dutch is outrageous and very fun to play!

Well's Tromp book probably reaches my ideal of an opening book. And I generally like Nigel Davies' work amongst others. But while davies, gallagher, watson etc are all good, the winner is....

Jeroen Bosch. His SOS columns and books from New in Chess are absolutely fantabulous. (read: very inspiring (1))

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #40 - 11/11/04 at 21:02:28
Post Tools
Nobody should be surprised by:
Rudolf Spielmann, Richtig Opfern
Michael Ehn, Rudolf Spielmann

On openings I like thorough works, such as
John Nunn, Complete Najdorf 6.Bg5
Lev Gutman, 4...Dh4 in der Schottischen Partie
Rolf Schwarz, several works
Ludek Pachman, Moderne Schachtheorie
There are more. These I use even a long time
after publishing. For instance, I think Schwarz'
book on the Dutch from 1964 still one of the
best on this opening, though the section on
the Leningrad is complete out of date.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

SutterCane

I recognize terror in
chess as the finest emotion!

Reply #39 - 11/11/04 at 12:53:37
Post Tools
I like very much:

Speelman...Best games

Christiansen...Storming the barricades

Yermolinsky...Road to chess improvement

SutterCane

I recognize terror as the finest emotion in a chessgame and so I will try to terrorize my opponent. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify ...

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #38 - 11/11/04 at 11:28:12
Post Tools
Openings-wise, I like Watson's Gambit Guide to the Modern Benoni - my favourite book on my favourite opening.

I know this is sacrilege but I don't really like a lot of Watson's other stuff - it all comes across as a bit pretentious to me.

My favourite chess book of all though has to be Best Chess Games 1970-1980 by Jon Speelman - some fabulous annotations of some fabulous games from my youth.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #37 - 11/11/04 at 10:22:26
Post Tools
Inn2:  I should stress that I'm not endorsing Berliner's book--not worth your money--but might be worth a quick peruse.

Maybe as a way of stimulating this thread, I could ask a general question that people could also include in their introductions.  What are peoples' favorite chess books?  Either collections or (even more interestingly) opening manuals.  My three all-time favorites are Gregory Sanakoev's World Champion at the Third Attempt (correspondence chess), The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal, and Tal's account of his 1960 match with Botvinnik.  Picking an opening manual is harder, and often depends on what I'm playing at the time.  Generally, though, I find Joe Gallagher and Graham Burgess good value for money.  John Watson and Neil McDonald, too.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #36 - 11/10/04 at 21:07:22
Post Tools
I was very disappointed that Williams omitted 1. d4 e6 2. c4 f5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 (that move again) as recommended in Dunnington's 1. d4 book.
Pinski's classical dutch book also rated this system highly, and I play it myself for White (of course!).

Rowson also said recently in CHESS magazine that he thought Williams was too optimistic, and in his annotations of his win over Williams at the British Ch. he points out several places where he disagrees with Williams' book.

I saw Berliner's System book quite a long time ago. It didn't make an impression on me then. Maybe I was too young  Undecided Shall look at it again.

Dunnington's 1. d4 book is good in many places but having had long experience with f3 lines, I feel qualified to say that his book is not perfect either. In particular his 4. f3 Nimzo coverage is lacking in certain places. I need Yakovich's book to plug some gaps; if any of you have seen this, kindly tell me how is it (through private message.. we don't want to go off-topic Wink).

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #35 - 11/10/04 at 17:54:07
Post Tools
Inn2: if you want to learn the Classical Dutch from Williams' book, beware. The book is sometimes rather optimistic about Black's chances. Moreover there are some important lines for White missing - especially Qb3 against Iljin-Zjenevsky with Qe8.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #34 - 11/10/04 at 16:25:44
Post Tools
Hi!

I'm 30.  A Canadian living in exile in Philadelphia.  We like the city very much.  I have a Ph.D. in environmental history and between research and family (I have two school-aged children), I have played very little chess over the past few years.  I've become a correspondence chess devotee, though, and my son is now becoming interested in chess, so I'm hoping to get back into chess more seriously. 

With Black, I've clung to the Caro for almost twenty years (with a short break to try some Sicilians), though I'm trying out the French and liking it.  Against 1 d4, I used to have good success with the Benko and Modern Benoni, but am now trying on obscure variations of the Slav.

With White, I used to race for a Botvinnik System English (though I loved bashing KIDs with the Saemisch when the opportunity arose), but am looking for something new and leaning towards the Bird.

Happy chess to all!

PS--for Inn2: Hans Berliner, a former World Correspondence Chess champion wrote a book called The System, where he advocates a lot of f3.  Berliner seems to think that chess can be reduced to a series of calculations and his "system" is a step toward solving chess.  Frankly, I think he's out to lunch, but there is some very good opening material that you might find helpful if you like f3.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #33 - 11/08/04 at 20:54:44
Post Tools
This thread is very intersting but has gone quite dead for awhile.  So here's an attempt to revive it and hopefully many of the new (?) members here will follow  Wink

Me: law student, plays one "serious" rated tournament a year (i have no time!), Elo: 2000~2100. I hope to be an FM at some point in my life. I have fantasies of quitting law and starting a chess career!  But its really a fantasy for now...

Openings: 1. d4 as White. But I play it rather aggressively: Basically its f3 systems against just about everything.

4. f3 in nimzo, Samisch KID. (actually I play 3. f3 so I suppose its f3 against grunfeld too), f3 in benko, benoni kapengut etc. Against QGD I go for exchange with Nge2 (again intending f3 and e4).

I may be the only person in the world with this repertoire but I think it should be more popular. If anything its very thematic... Isn't it always a struggle for the e4 square in so many openings?? Playing f3 resolves the issue once and for all.  Grin Weaker players are simply steamrolled in about 20 moves. I never have problems beating weaker players with White!

But no blackmar diemer for me though, even though it involves f3! I am aggressive but I try to stick with sounder lines  Wink I believe all f3 lines are quite sound although f3 looks ugly in some openings.

My opening for White, unlike Alumbrado, obviously isn’t according to Kramnik. I still haven’t found any GM with such a "consistent" repertoire as I have though! Please let me know if you people know anybody for me to follow. Right now I'm mostly looking at Dreev's games as he plays many lines i do.

As black I play Caro-kann/Alekhine/ French in decreasing order of frequency against 1. e4. and nimzo/QID/bogo/black knights tango against 1. d4. I like 1… e5 against the English.

I am hoping to sharpen my play with Black so the next year will see me playing more alekhines and French rather than my good ol Caro. I have also been learning the dutch from simon williams’ book.

That's all from me for now. I hope to get to know more chessplayers here. Do let me know what you think of my odd(?) repertoire!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #32 - 09/23/04 at 02:43:08
Post Tools
OK, I'll hold the linkin' 'til the time is ripe...

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #31 - 09/22/04 at 18:58:08
Post Tools
Thanks for the feedback.  However, please DO NOT link until I go live!

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #30 - 09/22/04 at 16:15:35
Post Tools
The site looks very nice I think, the only suggested improvement I want to offer is to create more space around the text so the lines become shorter - for example by laying it in a <blockquote>, as long lines with much text tends to tire the eye.

Welcome back on the web! Cheesy  I'll certainly add a link to it on my site, or change it as I probably still link to the old version...

IP Logged

Billy_Cember
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/22/04 at 15:37:39
Post Tools
Mark, as someone who's interested in economics, I've read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell, which just as the title says explaned the basics. I'd like to read more about economics, but I really don't know what to read. As an economist, could you recommend anything?

Thanks,

Billy

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #28 - 09/21/04 at 15:05:40
Post Tools
Actually there is some chance that I will take up "Hard Chess" once again Smiley . I own www.hardchess.com, and my brother, Bob, and I have worked up some ideas.  Bob indeed stands ready to be webmaster of the site.  The direct link just takes you to a work in progress page.  However, if you go

http://www.hardchess.com/index.shtml

you will find yourself inside the prototypical material (you may deduce that most of the work was done in summer of 2002).  You will see that all we have done so far is code up the old Hard Chess columns so that they display in Javascript, much like ChessPublishing.  The software used to do this is pgn2js, which you can find on the web.

I would appreciate comments on the site as designed.  Remember, it's only a prototype. 

I am not at all sure about how often I could update the material.  Once a month, like the original Hard Chess on Campbell's website, would be too demanding -- espcially if I include tactics and endings sections, as seen in the prototype.  But I could do it at irregular intervals, or perhaps quarterly.   

Some concerns are, 

1.  I am not a GM or even an IM, so I'm not sure how valuable my ideas would be, and 

2.  I would rather work with co-contributors than do absolutely all the work myself, but it might be difficult to line any up.

If I go forward with the idea, the site will not run on a commercial basis, but will be free to all comers.  There might be some ebooks offered for a nominal price, however. 

Best to all.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #27 - 09/19/04 at 01:20:37
Post Tools
So did I!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #26 - 09/18/04 at 17:09:41
Post Tools
Pity, Markovich, you stopped your column Hard Chess. I enjoyed it.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #25 - 09/17/04 at 16:22:10
Post Tools
My real name is Mark Morss.   I'm 57 years old, and I work as an economist here in Columbus, Ohio.

My ELO is 2240 (USCF), which makes me a "National Master" here in the US, perhaps not as strong as a real FIDE master, however.  I haven't played rated chess over-the-board since 1996, but I am an active correspondence player with a 2400+ rating both ICCF and USCF (well, I had some bad results and my ICCF rating is below that right now!)

For a while I wrote a column called "Hard Chess" on Franklin Campbell's website devoted to CC:

http://www.correspondencechess.com/campbell/hard/hard.htm

My best result so far in CC was to finish second (1.5 points out,  I must admit) for the 13th US CC Champ.   I play on www.net-chess.com with the handle "cornstalk."

For the past 13 years I have volunteered as chess coach at Indianola Alternative Elementary School, one of the Columbus Public Schools, where my wife teaches and where both my sons, now adults, once went to school.  The chess kids there have won innumerable awards and honors including, most recently, the Ohio 2004 K-6 Team Championship and the Ohio 2004 K-3 Team Championship. 

In 2003 ago one of our kids, Abby Marshall, won the Ohio K-6 Championship.  Abby is so promising that I continue to give her free private lessons, though she is no longer at Indianola.  She is 13 years old and up to 1780 USCF.

I continue with very active opening study, partly for myself, and partly to benefit my stronger students.

I just recently joined chesspublishing and I am quite happy with it. 

Best to all.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TomR

Reply #24 - 09/12/04 at 04:08:33
Post Tools
Hi, my name is Tom and I'm a 2300 English player.
I am 17 and have been playing for over 10 years now.
I am a big French fan. I play the Leningrad Dutch (mainly) against 1.d4. As White I'm an e4 player, however I have been known to play the Birds opening recently.
I play blitz on the ICC where my handle is me-better.
I subscribe to 3 sites on chesspublishing.com.
  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #23 - 09/01/04 at 17:03:05
Post Tools
Hi fellow chessplayers!

My name is Michael, 33 years old. I am M.Sc in physics and maths and live in beautiful Copenhagen, Denmark where I teach at a high school  Cheesy
(MNb: Now I see why we tend to agree so often!!)

I just play chess for fun, the wilder the game the better.
For some time now I have been writing for a some chess magazine/internet zines, including the New In Chess Yearbooks, Correspondence Chess News (which is sadly no more).
My favourite subject is gambits, gambits and more gambits!

My opening repertoire is changing since I recently gave up the Blackmar-Diemer gambit.

With White: 1.e4 only. The open Sicilian or Morra gambit, 3.Nc3 against the French, advance vs the Caro, 150 attack vs. the Pirc/modern, and my favorite the King's Gambit, which I have been playing and analyzing for the past 14 years.

With Black: Sicilian dragon or Ruy Lopez Marshall attack (and occasionally the Latvian gambit, Scandinavian gambit or Elephant gambit) vs. 1.e4. Froms gambit vs. 1.f4. The Leningrad Dutch (and sometimes the King's Indian, Fajarowicz gambit, Semi-slav Botvinnik variation or Albin counter-gambit) against everything else (except 1.g4 and 1.Nc3).

My current elo is 2100 but hoping to raise that soon when I start playing some tournaments that don't involve all-night partying  8)

IP Logged

Patrick
YaBB Newbies

Play chess!

Reply #22 - 08/28/04 at 08:39:16
Post Tools
Hello, I'm Patrick and I'm a 17 year old student from England. I have been playing chess for 9 years. My elo rating is about 1850. I play the Petroff and QGD as black and 1.e4 as white. I'm quite a solid player 8)

Gower Power

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #21 - 06/23/04 at 05:35:21
Post Tools
As promised, a late introduction, as I am on the Member Map now. I am a Dutchman living on the edge of the Surinam jungle, where I teach maths and physics.
I love to play gambits but I am not the kind of devotee who refuses to hear any critics. Some gambits I simply do not believe in - like the BDG, the Albin's.
My modest Dutch ELO 1800 probably will not become much higher - but who cares?
Of course playing the kind of openings I prefer, does not improve my chess. Again: who cares? I will not become GM, IM or FM anyway.
To put it simply: I play for fun. And I am kamikaze: one of those who can sac material at an early stage and still smile. In fact it is the other way round: I smile because I can sac.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Billy_Cember
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/22/04 at 12:14:37
Post Tools
Hi everybody.

Name:   Billy Cember
Rating:  Unrated
Openings (well, what I've studied and studying): English, Sicilian Kan, Caro-Kann, a6 Slav

IP Logged

kevinludwig

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 06/14/04 at 18:59:41
Post Tools
My name is Kevin Ludwig, age 29 and going on 30 in a few weeks.  I live in Hermosa Beach, CA. My current rating is 1888 USCF. I'm hoping to get up to 2200 at some point, but for now I'll be happy if I can get my rating to 2000 and keep it there. For work I do computer programming in c, and I'm currently finishing up a degree in Computer Science.

My Openings:
1. d4, using QGD Exchange, Slav Exchange, Grunfeld Exchange with early Qa4+, KID Bayonet. I learned from the 'Daring Defences' section the 10. Rb1 line in the Benko, and I play the Classical against the Benoni, where white plays Nd2 early to avoid the Bg4 lines.

.vs 1. e4, I use the Pirc, which I have been studying recently (last six months). Before that, I was playing the Alekhine, which I have given up because I wanted a change, more than any big problem with the opening.

.vs 1. d4, I have been using the system proposed in Yrjola's book, "An Explosive repertoire with 1. ...d6". Works well with the Pirc, but I don't like some of the positions much...so not sure how long that will last.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #18 - 05/31/04 at 23:15:34
Post Tools
Name:   X
Rating:  1951 USCF
Openings:  English, Reti, Catalan, Benoni, Dragon

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

Oldschool
YaBB Newbies

Stefan Sievers (FM)

Reply #17 - 05/11/04 at 16:38:56
Post Tools
Hi, my name is Stefan Sievers and I am 33 years of age. I was lucky that I reached the requirements for the FM title during a period when the German chess federation still bought the title from FIDE  Grin My ELO rating is 2354

Formely regarded as a "talent" by the German Chess Federation I´m now no more than someone who could have achieved the IM title with a little more ambition and energy but actually never did. The "problem" is that I have too many other hobbies besides chess regularly playing soccer, tennis as well. I also read a lot (non chess books!!!) and dedicate considerable time to my girlfriend. I´m also a semi-professional computer-hockey player with NHL96 by EA Sports being the game I have been playing regularly with some 15 friends for almost 10 years now. I also follow all major leagues in American Sports as well as European soccer. I am a big fan of the St. Louis Blues.

I´m also a lawyer working for a public health insurance company, specifically working on our collectice bargaining agreements which we directly agree with our union. That leaves not much time for chess anymore. Therefore I decided to only play in team competition these days. I play for Hamburg in the 2nd divison after playing for more than 14 years in the Bundesliga (1st German division).

I like to play both the Dragon as well as the Benko Gambit but have finally discovered that is doesn´t hurt to have a safer second option. I can only laugh my butt off when I read that one of these openings is either refuted or under a dark cloud. Most people who post this stuff don´t know anything about these openings and only cite certain games they are proud to have found. In my opinion opening play, even in our computerised world, is heavily overrated. If strongly advice people to concentrate on both tactics during the middle game and on the endgame. Endgame understanding will help you overall positional understanding and tactics are a lot more important than positional understanding. Of course it helps if you know where to put your pieces as well.  8)

I often play on the Fritz server so check out for uruk-hai beating you constantly! Have I already mentioned that I am a lord of the rings fan? The final part of the trilogy was very disappointing and much worse than the original book.

Let the force -aaahh Caissa- be with you!

Stefan

IP Logged

Minji
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - 05/11/04 at 12:41:56
Post Tools
Hi, my real name is Min Yee. I am almost 66 years old, Chinese, Comanche and Irish. I live in Bellevue, WA, near Seattle. I recently restarted playing chess because my 35- and 16-year-olds can handily beat me, and I want revenge. This week I purchased Chessmaster 9000 and gave myself a rating of 700, after two “tournament games”, CM said I was now 1378.

I now know that I should have bought Fritz 8. Embarrassed

Most of my life has been spent as a writer, editor and publisher, and I had very little time for chess. My parasitic claim to fame is friendship with Yasser Seriwan, whose chess books I published beginning in the early 1990s as publisher of Microsoft Press. Indeed, he dedicated the first one to me, my wife and youngest son “for all the port.” He might have missed adding “sup” to the last word but he did drink a lot of my port.

Through Yaz, I was able to dine in New York with Tal, Spassky, Christiansen, and several young Junior World Champions. These were/are really nice guys.

IP Logged

mlz3
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #15 - 04/02/04 at 12:22:19
Post Tools
Hello Everyone!

Nice to have a little forum to get to know fellow chessplayers in this site. My name is Miguel and I was born and raised in the Philippines although I am currently residing in Milledgeville, GA. My roots however, hail from Spain and I hav a bit of French from my paternal grandmother.

I learned chess from my grandfather when I was about 8 years old and have been playing on and off since. Currently, at 43, my USCF rating is about 1566 although I guess I could do better if I wasn't too busy w/ my medical profession. Consequently, chess can only be leisure for me w/ the occasional tournament just to see how I stack up against other players in the region. Since I am not playing for a living, of course I try to have as much fun out of a game as I can. I play e4 as White and I like to play gambits when I can (e.g. King's Gambit against e5, Smith-Morra against the Sicilian). As Black I love the Sicilian Dragon against e4 although I will try the French, Alekhine and Pirc at times - in short, anything but 1...e5 Cheesy. Against d4, c4, and Nf3 I play the KID although I am also thinking of learning the Grunfeld. Occasionally I will try the Henning-Schara Gambit against d4 if I know my opponent will allow it.

If any of you guys play on ICC, my name there is Kagitingan, which is a Filipino word meaning "nobility" or "courage".  Grin

Warmest regards to all,
Miguel

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #14 - 04/01/04 at 19:22:24
Post Tools
Hi,

I'm Mitch from New Jesey. I didn't start playing seriously until about 2 years ago. I was initially looking for an intersting opening to play with black and so I was in some book store and saw "Winning with the Sicilian Dragon 2" on the shelf and thought in sounded cool(!) and haven't looked back. The Dragon has formed the backbone of my repertoire since then and my current favorite against everything else (except for maybe 1. g4) is 1...f5 (though I still revert to the KID on occasion). With white, I play 1. e4 exclusively (no "boring" d4, c4, or Nf3. Apologies to all who are offended) and love the White side of the Open Sicilian and the Ruy Lopez.  I've played in a few big tournaments but not as many as I would've liked to so my rating is about a 1400 right now (though I've got an online blitz rating of close to 1800).

I actually found this site from a reference in WWTSD2 (maybe Chris should get a cut of my membership ?! Grin) and absolutely love it and I think it is a great resource..

AIM  
IP Logged

KingDan
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 04/01/04 at 12:25:21
Post Tools
My name is dan, after updates by the uscf I will be close to 2100 uscf and I am hoping to get over 22 by the end of summer. I learned when I was about 7 years old. I never studied until recently , I just played and got better. No serious coaching....
I am 15 years old from jersey.

IP Logged

notagmyet

I heart the Caro-Kann

Reply #12 - 04/01/04 at 10:42:31
Post Tools
Hi,
My favourite opening is the Caro-Kann. Don't aks me why! My rating seems a lot lower than some others on here. I don't know the conversion from BCF to FIDE, but I reckon my rating is about 1500/1600.  Embarrassed
Aside from chess I like cricket, football and snooker amongst some other sports. My favourite players are probably (the only) Mikhail Tal, Paul Keres and Capablanca cos he makes everything seem so damned easy! My least favourite palyer is Karpov - he plays in a boring style and is a useless writer to boot.
I'm 16 years old and go to a college in Huddersfield, Yorkshire.
Oh, and I like watching most BBC sitcoms, like Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, and Red Dwarf.

"When I am White, I am because I am White. When I am Black, I win because I am Bogolyubov" (?!) - Efim Bogolyubov, noted chess player and optimist.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #11 - 03/31/04 at 21:58:25
Post Tools
I really wish more of you would introduce yourself here.  The only item is that I would like to add to my introduction is that now I'm a chesspublishing.com member.  I initially subscribed to just 3 sections but have been so impressed that I'm going to upgrade to full membership.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #10 - 01/13/04 at 21:12:20
Post Tools
Hello everyone my "handle" here is my name.  I'm 39 years old and live in Franklin Indiana (just a little south of the racing capitol of the world, Indianapolis). My rating is 1986 (the lowest in about 20 years  Cry)  I love looking at all sorts of different openings (too much really).  In the past I've usually played unusual openings but am trying to go more mainstream now.  I'm working on a d4 as White/King's Indian/Pirc/Modern repertoire.  I try to help where I can and have been very thankful for the replies to my questions here.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 01/13/04 at 16:14:04
Post Tools
Hello Yaltmax,

since a few days I am member. So why can't I find
myself back on the member map? Of course
Suriname is a remote and unimportant country -
maybe you are still looking in an atlas? Sorry, I
like bad jokes.
As soon as I am on the map, on the right place,
I will tell a bit more about myself.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

htownmmm
YaBB Newbies

Love others as you love
yourself.

Reply #8 - 08/09/03 at 12:34:56
Post Tools
Grin Hi, my name is marty and i have been playing chess off and on since I was 10 years old. Initially, I taught myself 2 play and was fascinated with the way the pieces moved. however, after my mother died( I was 12), we left brooklyn, new york and moved to south carolina. In 1972 you can imagine the amount of active, serious chess players in s.c. as compared 2 new york. So my game suffered as a result. 4 years passed b4 i played seriously again. this pattern repeated itself in my life 4 various reasons-military service,life changes,etc,etc. currently I am rated 1737 USCF and have been playing steadily since 1997(after breaking my leg playing basketball;my other love  Grin.  I now play the modern opening as black and the curry opening as white. i also have summerscale's book which I enjoyed immensely and have been incorporating it's ideas into my game. In the last tournament i played in(nov 2002), I lost 2 a 2036 rated player after 102 moves(my longest game so far) with the curry but was able to defeat a 2127 rated with the modern. Go figure. tyx 4 taking the time 2 read my post. marty.

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Reply #7 - 07/30/03 at 01:09:18
Post Tools
Common, let's get to know each other. We have so many great contributors to this forum!

IP Logged

Bilbo Baggins
YaBB Newbies

A Texan Stranded in New
Jersey

Reply #6 - 02/25/03 at 01:28:19
Post Tools
Howdy,

I am a Texan stranded in New Jersey.  Jersey ain't that bad..... really.  I am a new senior citizen and have been playing chess for the second time for about 8 years.
  My repertoire consists of 1.d4 with White.  I play the Bayonet vs the KID, Leningrad vs the Nimzo, and QGD exchange.  As Black I was smitten by an old book by Larsen called ZOOM 001.  Therefore I play the Alekhine and Grunfeld.  I am trying to learn the Najdorf by playing it on line.  I haven't the nerve to play it OTB yet.  In my previous period of playing chess I also played the French and QGD.
  I waste too much of my time studying opening theory, but I enjoy it so what the heck.  I have a habit of sending in all sorts of e-mails so I have my fingers in several sections.  The authors have been very patient with me.

IP Logged

Raspje

Play the dynamic French

Reply #5 - 02/24/03 at 16:54:18
Post Tools
Well, I live in the Netherlands, in the beautiful town of Groningen  Cheesy. My elo is about 2300 and I play 1.e4 with white and the French/ KID with black. At the end of the year there is always a very nice tournament in my city. For more information on the town see Sergei Tiviakov's site. Another nice chesssite is the www.so-on.org . Especially the 'mastermove' by composer Lambertus van der Marel should be visited 8)

Edited:
Note: the link here now connects to a site that appears to be devoted to a Japanese language blog or perhaps poetry. ~SF May, 2013
« Last Edit: 05/20/13 at 16:09:11 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #4 - 02/23/03 at 11:01:37
Post Tools
Hallo everyone - I'm fairly new to Chess Publishing but as you will notice I am already addicted - I just love talking about chess theory and sharing ideas with people from all over the world Smiley

I have been playing chess for about 20 years now, but until recently I hadn't played OTB for a number of years - most of my chess has been online blitz and long games by e-mail!

In what must be thousands of blitz games, I have played a very wide range of openings:
With W, mostly 1.d4 openings (Exchange GQD or Catalan; Qc2 vs the Nimzo, Averbakh or Fianchetto vs KID, Bf4 or fianchetto vs Grunfeld etc.).  I use various move orders to get thee though and I am happy playing Retis and many lines of the English too - in fact 'opening wiht White according to Kramnik' could easily have been about my repertoire - except that of course Vlad does it rather better than me Sad
With Black vs. 1.e4 I have played Najdorf and Taimanov Sicilians, French, Alekhine, 1...e5 and lately almost exclusively the Pirc.
Black vs. 1.d4 my main defence is the Modern Benoni (lately I have ben experimenting wiht the Benko too) but I also often go 1...d6 and if 2.c4 e5!? or 2.Nf3 Bg4!?.  I also play the Old Indian (with ...Bf5) and am quite happy to defend the QGD - particularly the Cambridge Springs.  I have also dabbled with the English Defence although usually via a 1.c4 b6 move order.  I used to be a KID devotee but I just can't be bothered with the theory these days ... apologies to Joe Gallagher!

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Quark
YaBB Newbies

Sic transit gloria mundi....

Reply #3 - 02/23/03 at 06:52:07
Post Tools
Ok, introduction:
I've been playing chess for 8 years, and I'm  very happy, since I'm IM now!  8)
elo is between 2400 and 2500. I enjoy playing French and many other openings.  Tongue My main hobby, apart from chess, is just sitting lazily on the couch.  Grin
I'm not sure, but I think I'm a little bit crazy   Wink
Waiting for the next introduction!

IP Logged

mars
YaBB Newbies

Time is nothing, timing
is everything

Reply #2 - 02/20/03 at 15:37:17
Post Tools
OK, I begin introducing myself  Undecided

mars, 30 years old, I started playing chess for 5 years but I do not play in a club, I live in France, maybe my elo is around 1600-1800 and a little bit more when I play against or with the French  Kiss (I love this pawn structure !), I like to play e-mail games 'cos I have time to think on the position ... and I enjoy a lot earing Manu Chao music  8)

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Reply #1 - 02/20/03 at 13:04:36
Post Tools
Ok, who is first to introduce himself/herself? Don't make me do it first... you may regret it later Wink lol

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Introduce yourself here
02/19/03 at 12:31:15
Post Tools
If you are a frequent visitor to our forum, feel free to introduce yourself here in this topic. You can include things like: your age, years playing chess, rating, your location, your chess career, your handle/s on playing chess servers, your favourite chess player, your favourite opening for W/B, your chess goals, hobbies, your main occupation, and anything else you can think might be interested about you.

This way we'll be able to kinda put a face on everyone Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo